Grenadier Gold Plated Orc Shaman
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:24 am 

Hi,

First, I want to introduce myself.  I was into AD&D in a big way during High School and College, but have fell to the wayside.

I recently was digging through the treasures I saved to someday show my kids and came upon my AD&D stuff.  Unfortunatly, my kids are all into online games and real-time shoot-em-ups, and don't seem to have any imagination at all, so I'm going to clean up what I have and see about selling them off.

I have the usual collection of books, etc, and have a lot of mini's, mostly Grenadier box sets, most complete and in good shape, and I've read the posts here and have a pretty good idea of what their value will be.  But, I've got a Gold Plated Orc Shaman that came in a boxed set that I haven't been able to find any reference to anywhere.

This was a promotion that Grenadier did, and it contained a sheet saying to fill it out and return it and I'd be entered in a drawing to win a gold prize (I think it was an ounce).  I didn't win the prize, but I still do have the shaman.

It was the same casting as came in the Orcs boxed set (I have that complete set, painted).

Does anyone have a thought on it's value?

Thanks in advance

Rene LeBlanc

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:32 am 

leblancr wrote:Hi,

First, I want to introduce myself.  I was into AD&D in a big way during High School and College, but have fell to the wayside.

I recently was digging through the treasures I saved to someday show my kids and came upon my AD&D stuff.  Unfortunatly, my kids are all into online games and real-time shoot-em-ups, and don't seem to have any imagination at all, so I'm going to clean up what I have and see about selling them off.

I have the usual collection of books, etc, and have a lot of mini's, mostly Grenadier box sets, most complete and in good shape, and I've read the posts here and have a pretty good idea of what their value will be.  But, I've got a Gold Plated Orc Shaman that came in a boxed set that I haven't been able to find any reference to anywhere.

This was a promotion that Grenadier did, and it contained a sheet saying to fill it out and return it and I'd be entered in a drawing to win a gold prize (I think it was an ounce).  I didn't win the prize, but I still do have the shaman.

It was the same casting as came in the Orcs boxed set (I have that complete set, painted).

Does anyone have a thought on it's value?

Thanks in advance

Rene LeBlanc

It is quite a find.  Would fetch a high price on Ebay.  Probably in the $100+ range

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:48 am 

Great, thanks.  That is probably one that I'm going to hate to sell, but it's just sitting in the foam lined box, so it might as well go.

I appreciate it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:49 pm 

From my observation, I would say the gold orc is rarer than the gold wizard.  The only one I remember seeing for sale over the years is the one I have, though I have seen two gold wizards for sale.  I paid $400 for my gold orc on eBay so I would expect the price to land around there, though with an ultra rare item like this one never knows.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:40 am 

I have a gold Orc Shaman, but not a wizard.  If anyone has a gold wizard that they would be willing to part with, please let me know.

Otherworld Miniatures Webshop - http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:47 pm 

I have both now (thanks to a lucky find in a lot, and to JohnGaunt!), and the gold Grenadier figures do indeed crop up on eBay with semi-regularity (I thought I had saved auctions for 3-5 in the past few years).  I've seen prices all over the place, from $16 for a lot that includes a gold figure to $100+ for the individual figure itself: $16 for  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
(Grenadier Boxed Set 2011 Orcs Lair (Macro Images)) on Dec-09-07 12:12:23 PST I apparently didn't save some of the other auctions on this HD, but perhaps they've been posted at ToT too??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 am 

Hi,

I'm thinking of putting them on E-Bay, but don't know the best approach.  I had thought of putting everything up as one big lot with a reserve of $500 but I've also thought of putting them up as singles.

I have seen several boxed sets on e-bay that were priced in the $60 range, then seen bidding on the same set at $5.  I'm not interested in giving them away.  I'd rather keep them than do that.  It's not that I need the room, but I do need the money.  :-)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - Rene

I have:
The Golden Orc Shaman

Heritage Level 4 & 5 Monsters -- Complete none painted with box (don't remember if there was a description sheet)

Grenadier Dungeon Explores (5001)-- Complete many painted, box and description sheet
Grenadier Woodland Adventurers (5003)-- Complete many painted, box and description sheet
Grenadier Monsters (5002) -- Complete, some painted, box and description sheet
Grenadier Tomb of Spells (5004) -- Complete, some painted, box and description sheet
Grenadier Dragons Lair (5005) -- Dragon is missing (got destroyed during a move), Box, eggs and baby dragon primed and treasure pile painted

Grenadier Orc Lair (2011) -- Complete, all painted, box and description sheet
Grenadier Dwarves (2003)-- Complete, none painted, box and description sheet
Grenadier Halflings (2002)-- Complete, none painted, box and description sheet
Grenadier Dwellers Below(2012) -- Complete, some painted, box and description sheet

Grenadier Dragon of the month Red Dragon (Not sure of the exact one) -- Missing forearm - unassembled
Grenadier Bug Bears (102)-- Painted.  3 figures

I have another box with a plastic tray which contained dice and was supposed to be a stand along game, but it was missing any directions when I bought it.  I think it was Dungeon Dwellers by Heritage.  Have it boxed back up so can't easily check it. I had only bought it for the figures.  Based on the pictures on the cover I can account for many of the figures, but don't know which others went with the set.  I most likely have them as I have a lot of loose figures as well, but can't determine which went with the set.  I do remember that it came with some paints and color directions for each figure, but I don't have those.

I also have a bunch of single figures that were purchased along the way.  Many painted, many primed, many bare.

I have a torture chamber set that I don't remember who made it.  There are 3 naked women on various torture/prison implements.  One is on an X shaped wooden thing with arms and legs tied, spread (partially painted).  One is with hands tied together and feet tied together hanging from a doorway frame.  The last is with hands tied to a beam over her shoulders (like Jesus with the cross spar).  These last two are not painted.

I have a Dungeon Masters guide from 1980.  Don't know the version.  

Somewhere I have a players handbook, Monster Manual and Monster Manual II and should have some scenarios, but haven't been able to locate them yet.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:49 pm 

The 2000 and 5000 series don't go for a whole lot, and any incomplete set is usually worthless, unless you find someone who needs parts. Unless they are VERY well-painted, painted figs tend to go for less.
Single figs seem to do OK as a lot.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 pm 

leblancr wrote:I'm thinking of putting them on E-Bay, but don't know the best approach.  I had thought of putting everything up as one big lot with a reserve of $500 but I've also thought of putting them up as singles.

IMHO, the following three should be separate lots:

(1) The Golden Orc Shaman

(2) Heritage Level 4 & 5 Monsters

(3) "I have another box with a plastic tray" ---> This will probably not sell for much since it's incomplete.  How much it goes for depends on what's left.  Pictures and description are important for this lot.

The loose minis can be split into separate lots grouped by manufacturer.

Don't keyword spam, but have enough separate auctions and keywords to suck people in to your auctions.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:22 pm 

I sell quite a few minis, and I have a couple of suggestions for selling the minis.

First, I'd sell all the complete box sets individually.  Second, anything that's incomplete, I'd lump together in groups of ten to twenty minis by theme(all dragon stuff together, all PC's together, or all primed together, all painted together, etc...).  The exception to that would be if you have unusual or large minis.  Third, I'd definitely sell the gold figure individually.  Fourth, many people sell D&D themed stuff to end on Sunday night.  I personally have the habit of ending my minis auctions on Saturday nights at 11:00PM EST(WHEN I am selling. I take the summer off).  Fifth, I'd make it so all minis auctions ended the same day so buyers could combine shipping costs.  Sixth, I would review the Shady Dealers Thread:

viewtopic.php?t=5591

You may want to add some people to your ban list before listing.  Seventh, start saving up small boxes, bubble wrap and foam popcorn for shipping all these items.  Eighth, let everyone on this forum know when they are up and also place a reminder in the Dragonsfoot forums.  Finally, I have personally found that the best months to sell stuff on eBay is January and February.

Good luck! :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 am 

Hey guys...

I recently acquired (in a yard sale, no less) the gold-plated wizard AND...

A gold-plated Deep One from Grenadier's Cthulhu range:

6502g
Deep One (A)
610 Creatures From Deep

Both were in the same bag and I'm puzzled about the Deep One because I haven't been able to find ANY information about it yet...

Any thoughts???

~Scott

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:36 am 

Ogma wrote:Hey guys...

I recently acquired (in a yard sale, no less) the gold-plated wizard AND...

A gold-plated Deep One from Grenadier's Cthulhu range:

6502g
Deep One (A)
610 Creatures From Deep

Both were in the same bag and I'm puzzled about the Deep One because I haven't been able to find ANY information about it yet...

Any thoughts???

~Scott

First of all, great finds!  I never find anything decent in yard sales.

For the Deep One, I would go to Yog-sothoth.com and inquire there. Those guys include the uber-Call of Cthulhu collectors that would know about such a rare item.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:06 pm 

Anyone know the ratio for these guys? 1:100 sets? 1:200?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:52 pm 

No idea, offhand, and I've not heard about a gold Deep One before.  I seem to recall rumors of a gold-plated basilisk from Denizens of the Swamp, but I'm not sure they've ever been substantiated.

The Yahoo Collecting Grenadier group @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Collectin ... ierModels/ has some excellent resources (including scans of the gold certificates, Grenadier Bulletins, etc.).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 am 

Hey Scott---

Based on your post to the Yahoo group, you may not have the Grenadier wizard, but may instead have a gold-plated Ral Partha or other wizard.  The Grenadier wizard looks like the one in mandalaymoon's avatar:

and neither of his hands are over his head and holding a chalice.  If your mini isn't one of those two, can you please post a picture of it?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 am 

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 'Silver Paladin' from the Grenadier AD&D range?  A few years ago, I bought a mixed lot of old figures, and this paladin was included.  I assumed that it was a recast or fake, cast from a chrome-like material, but now I'm not so sure.  There's no sign that it is just painted silver, and it appears to be a pretty decent quality casting.  Any ideas?

Here he is next to my Gold Orc Shaman.

And if anyone has a Gold Wizard to sell or trade, I'm still looking for one.

Otherworld Miniatures Webshop - http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

Last edited by otherworld on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

This seller has a "gold-plated" Grenadier spearman that appears to be liberally slathered in gold paint (you can see wear spots at the bend of the spear, on a helmet rivet, and on the back of the base for starters).

All yours for the low, low price of $100!

No idea on the Silver Paladin or gold-plated Deep One. Might have to ask Terrence Gunn (author of The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier), see if he can scrounge up some answers.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:38 pm 

TollHouseGolem wrote:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

This seller has a "gold-plated" Grenadier spearman that appears to be liberally slathered in gold paint (you can see wear spots at the bend of the spear, on a helmet rivet, and on the back of the base for starters).

All yours for the low, low price of $100!

No idea on the Silver Paladin or gold-plated Deep One. Might have to ask Terrence Gunn (author of The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier), see if he can scrounge up some answers.

Not gold plated at all, gold painted and the bare spots are where the paint rubbed off.  Auction is a fraud  :evil:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Next