Lot of minis (Ral Partha, Grenadier, GW...)
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:15 pm 

Hi guys,

I have tons of minis to identify and to appraise.
Any helps? :)

Thanks!

clic to download pics

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:37 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in Lot of minis (Ral Partha, Grenadier, GW...):Hi guys,

Thanks!

clic to download pics

I mostly used the Lost Minis Wiki pages to see what I could find:  Main Page - Lost Minis Wiki

Also, Stuff of Legends is sometimes helpful:  Manufacturer Index

For example, here are some things I found without too much trouble.
The Citadel Orcs are Fiend Factory Red Orcs, I believe based on what the pictured orcs look like.
The Cyberpunk Low photo shows some Future Warriors produced by Grenadier.  The front two are "Teen Robo Hunters."
The Dragon spare parts photos shows the wings from a Grenadier Skeletal Dragon on the right.  If I am right, these parts should measure just over 4 1/2 inches long.  The rest of the parts on that photo don't go with that dragon.
The Furniture 1 low shows a "Demon Door" made by Grenadier, I think.  I could not find the source, but I sold one recently, and that's what I remembered.
Here are photos of the entire Grenadier Traveller box:  Traveller (Grenadier) - Lost Minis Wiki
The Grenadier Traveller low 2 image is a Daghshark: Image:G-t1003-t30.jpg - Lost Minis Wiki
Here's the page about Groo the Wanderer:  Groo - Lost Minis Wiki

8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:30 pm 

One thing to also look up is if you check the base and they sale Ral Partha and TSR then they are likely from the Ral Partha 11-series.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:12 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in Lot of minis (Ral Partha, Grenadier, GW...):Hi guys,

Thanks!

clic to download pics

What specifically do you need help with, Géraud?  Chris' links are the ones that will help you to I'D the minis, so you're in good shape there, now.

I recognize many of the minis (generally the non-GW ones), and see several I'm interested in as well, of course! =)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:58 pm 

Thanks for the links!

Actually, I am interested to sell them as lots. Whole lot if possible. I am very confident in your appraisal so I am wondering how much such a lot could worth, or how to divide it in proper lots and for how much each lot.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:16 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in Lot of minis (Ral Partha, Grenadier, GW...):Thanks for the links!

Actually, I am interested to sell them as lots. Whole lot if possible. I am very confident in your appraisal so I am wondering how much such a lot could worth, or how to divide it in proper lots and for how much each lot.

All right, please don't shoot me.  This is just an opinion, and I'll try and explain my own weird way of thinking about what you have here.  I would not be confident in my appraisal, because I am not confident in my appraisal.  :(

First, let me outline what I thought I saw.  If I counted correctly, I saw about 158 images of minis, the vast majority of which were not painted, not primed, and metal.  About 4% had some paint or primer on them.  None of the paint jobs are excellent.  About 1% to 2% were missing parts or broken. Most lots/photos averaged about five to six figures.  About 80% were fantasy, 7% were Call of Cthulhu, 6% Dark Future, and 5% space/Traveler and 2% other stuff.  It appeared that 95% were 25MM and 5% were other scales, mostly 15MM.  Interestingly, I would say that I had never seen half of these minis.  That factor alone makes it difficult for me to make a confident estimate on their value, and what you really want to know.   :?

In my opinion, the highest value item/image I saw was the Dennis Mize Slave Auction box and minis.  If complete, it's worth around $60 (
** expired/removed eBay auction **
).  There are a few other minis/images of monsters that may be worth $10 to $15, give or take a few dollars.  The vast majority of the minis in each image average around $6.  To be clear, I am not talking about each mini in each image.  I am saying that if each image were an eBay auction, they would sell for around $6.00 plus shipping each on average.

That may sound low, but here's partly why I assess these at that value.  From what I can tell, 25MM minis have not gone up in value lately.  If anything, they are going down.  The scale of choice has gone to 32MM for most gamers.  Bones minis by Reaper, in particular, have changed the landscape.  These minis are relatively inexpensive, easier to paint, and difficult to damage.  And this is coming from a collector who mostly has old-school, lead, 25MM minis.  There's still a decent market for 25MM, but I recommend selling sooner rather than later.

The minis that are damaged appear difficult to repair.  I have fixed lots of minis, and some of those I would not even bother to fix.  Or, I would not try to fix them as they were.  Minis that have some paint are significantly reduced in value, maybe by 20% to 30%.  Stripping takes time and trouble mostly, and stripping doesn't always work like you want.  Therefore, quite a few of the mini images hold little to no value.

I think you'll get more money for your fantasy minis on average than any other genre as there are more collectors/gamers who use and buy fantasy over any other genre.  There are always exceptions.  Ral Partha, Citadel and Heritage minis sell for above average prices when compared to similar size and type sculpts.  Grenadier often sells for below average prices.  Slotta minis sell for less for less on average relative to minis that are based.

I know you want to sell everything together, but I would, at a minimum, separate out the different genres and scales.  I would also sell each of the box sets separately, especially if they are complete or mostly complete.  Boxes don't ship well with larger loose minis lots because they weigh so much unless they are packed carefully to avoid such damage.  

One of your biggest obstacles to getting a good return on these minis is that shipping is so high on heavier packages to foreign countries, it virtually eliminates any savings a buyer might get by buying in bulk.  Furthermore, selling in bulk carries the risk that many minis will be damaged in transit unless packed carefully.  Many sellers don't know how to best pack minis so they arrive undamaged, and many buyers know that and factor it into their value assessment.

Therefore, based on my assessment that each image averages $6.00 in value, and I believe there are 158 images, I would assess your collection at $948.00.

I think showing all these images to this community was a great idea, because it's always possible someone will take them all and give you a fair or good price.  I think we all know this community is not big into minis overall, but there are a number of other communities/forums where minis are bought, sold and discussed more often.  However, you are probably going to get your best return overall by selling on eBay and dividing everything up into ten minis, or so, lots.  Group auctions into similar genres, scales, and types together.  Put all the damaged fantasy minis together, for example.  Put all the partially painted minis together in an auction unless they are part of a boxed set or something like that.

Hopefully, you can use my opinions to help you sell them for a better price than you would have otherwise.   8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 pm 

Thank you very much for this detailled reply and appraisal. I understand that you are not confident with your estimate, but I am pretty sure that you are definitively MORE qualified than me on minis.

I'd really like to sell them as a lot. I don't have the time to create lots, and I will not be able to estimate the lots correctly. I think that someone can buy the lot, keep what he is interested in, and sell the other parts, perhaps with a small bargain. I would prefer that.

If someone is interested in, do not hesitate to PM me :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:03 pm 

I can't add much of anything to what has been said already, though looking at these has me concerned that some have a case of lead rot. Hopefully, that's not the case, and it's just the photos.

This is not as easy for me to check on as it once was, as I only have Net access at the library these days. I do keep some pages from the Lost Minis Wiki at the house for convenience, but I'm far from having a full library of files for reference. I'll do what I can with what I have available to me at the least. For the sake of brevity, I'm leaving the 'low' moniker off the file names.

I'd have to consider putting the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms personalities (plus Strahd) at the least as a separate auction(s). These guys tend to do better than average.

File Name: Comments
wizards mix: I've got a mini which I believe (not positive) was an old pre-slotta Citadel that looks a lot like the guy in the center. It might be a variant. The one to his immediate right is a Ral Partha Lord Soth 11-064.

warriors mix: Second from left is the elf from Ral Partha Dungeon! set 10-509 (and two or three other places). The one on the far right is the swashbuckler from Ral Partha 10-510 D&D Basic Heroes set (and likely more places).

warriors mix 2: Center is a Ral Partha 01-124 Warrior of Chaos.

things: Ral Partha 11-651 Dretch. They appear to be directly tied to the AD&D Planescape line, so might fetch a bit more.

RP mix 5: on the far left is a 11-125 Ravenloft witch.

RP mix 4: on the far left is a 11-073 Lord Gunthar. Another Dragonlance personality.

RP mix 3: on the far left is a 11-065 Tanis (Dragonlance personality). Second from the right is a Strahd von Zarovich from the Ravenloft box set 10-511.

RP mix 2: First and third figs are Forgotten Realms personalities 11-056 Shaeri Amcathra. The second fig is a Dragonlance Silvara 11-074, and the fourth fig is a Dragonlance 11-071 Kitiara.

RP mix 1: Last one is a Forgotten Realms 11-059 Dove Falconhand.

mix 28: Center one is from the first Ral Partha boxed set of Elmore's Masterworks.
EDIT: Correction, that's from the first Silver & Steel box set. 10-310

mix 25: Last one is Ravenloft RP 11-125 Witch.

GW 1: dunno about the significance of this, or the sequence of events, but these appear to be pre-slotta versions of Citadel's ADD11 Female Magic User. Could these be worth a bit? Didn't know this had been done before now.

creepy things: Not positive, but I think the last one is a Citadel FF-8 Volt from the Fiend Factory line. The rat appears to be a RP 02-912 Giant Rat.

Citadel Mix 1: second mini is a RP 01-088 Iron Golem. Last mini is a Grenadier Fantasy Warrior 919 Goblin Archer.

Citadel 2: The first and second look like they might be Grenadier Fantasy Warrior line minis, but I cannot come up with a match.

beast 1: Ral Partha 13-033 Wurm (from the Children of the Night line)

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Last edited by SimperingToad on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:08 pm 

SimperingToad wrote in Lot of minis (Ral Partha, Grenadier, GW...):I can't add much of anything to what has been said already, though looking at these has me concerned that some have a case of lead rot. Hopefully, that's not the case, and it's just the photos.

I thought the same thing!  I wasn't sure and thought it might just be fuzzy photos.  I just can't tell.  

Lead rot is to lead as rust is to iron.  Rust is reddish but lead rot is still grey.  Rust is flaky but lead rot is powdery.  Lead rot usually happens to the finer details of a figure first.  Lead rot is bad for lots of reason, but arguably the worst is that its nature makes it easier for the lead to get on your fingers, and then when you rub your eyes or nose, the lead can be transferred internally.  This is especially bad for children.  Lead rot more likely happens in warm, damp climates.  Painting or priming a figure all over (even the bottom of the base!) can virtually eliminate any danger of lead rot or getting lead in your system (unless the figure is swallowed!).  As you might guess, most buyers won't buy figures damaged by lead rot.   :(

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:17 pm 

I've definitely sold a mini here and there with what you describe. Mostly form the AD&D Gold Line. In my ignorance I just thought it was old, of course in hindsight I should have realized. :( I think I'll be throwing any like that away in the future.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:52 pm 

If I lived near you, I would totally be interested in buying all those minis as one lot, and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding at least a couple of buyers who are interested in the lot.

I did notice a Citadel Great Spined Dragon in the mix, and those typically sell for anywhere from $150-180 USD.

You might want to consider posting a message for your lot on the Yahoo Collecting Citadel Miniatures group, as there are many active EU collectors there who would be interested in the abundance of Citadel minis (including the Spined Dragon) you have:

Yahoo! Groups

Cheers,

Tom

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:02 pm 

Thank you very much for all these estimates, and the time you spent to go through all pictures!  :)  (thanks SimperingToad for the details!)
I'll look through the minis to be sure there is no lead rot, or, if it is the case, to mention it on pictures.

I will post on the yahoo group, at least to get a estimate of the whole lot, but I still prefer to deal with the Acaeum community fist.

For the complete lot, shipping to US is around 160€ (153€ in two packages of 10 and 5 kg). So if someone is interested in the lot, keep this in mind.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:44 pm 

About lead rot, on which one, for example, do you suspect this problem?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:55 pm 

Hi guys,
does someone can estimate this dragon please?