Honest eBay Trader?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:03 pm 

Hi All,

I recently bought a JG map set on eBayer from a seller called 'fencert'.  I have some issues with the order, which the seller seems unwilling to address. Is this guy reliable/honest?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:03 pm 

Alan will defend him to the hilt. I would've said AOK but for a slight problem a couple of auctions back.
Terry is signed-up on the board, too, although he hasn't been around, recently; profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=690

Any particular issues that can be noted in public? (The standard map set or the one with extras like the M Modron?).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:15 pm 

otherworld wrote:Hi All,

I recently bought a JG map set on eBayer from a seller called 'fencert'. I have some issues with the order, which the seller seems unwilling to address. Is this guy reliable/honest?

hey OW

as david says, i will defend terry (fencert) to the hilt. i know him very well and have dealt with him many times, even on very massive orders (and when i say massive i really do mean that). if something is wrong, i am very sure that it really is a misunderstanding. if you have contacted him and there is no reply, it is because he is exceptionally busy. i know for most that isnt an excuse, but i have never known him not to fix something.

if you let me know what the problem is either here or by way of PM, i will help. you can rest assured that anything mentioned to me will be kept in the strictest confidence and everyone here will vouch for me (i hope! :D )

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:48 pm 

I recently bought a JG map set on eBayer from a seller called 'fencert'. I have some issues with the order, which the seller seems unwilling to address. Is this guy reliable/honest?

I have purchased form him on eBay and also off it. He was always helpful and when the wrong Tegel map was shipped he went above and beyond to correct the problem quickly. He even told me to keep the wrong map that was initially sent. I purchased one of the SW map sets that he made himself recently and the transaction went well. He did not reply to a message I sent him about some additional maps but that was around a holiday and I forgot all about it until just now. But that being said it was a side deal sent though eBay and perhaps he thought I was trying to do something shadey.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:45 am 

Thanks for the info, guys. It's probably just a communications breakdown then. It's nothing serious, just some missing maps from the set, and an issue with shipping charges, but I was concerned about the lack of contact.

I'll try another e-mail.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:04 am 

otherworld wrote:Thanks for the info, guys. It's probably just a communications breakdown then. It's nothing serious, just some missing maps from the set, and an issue with shipping charges, but I was concerned about the lack of contact.

I'll try another e-mail.

well if you let me know the details i will have a word with him too....can only help chummer...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:14 am 

Thanks, Al. I've PMed you with the details.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:37 am 

msg received chummer. will have a word first chance i get ok?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:31 pm 

I recently bought a JG map set on eBayer from a seller called 'fencert'.  I have some issues with the order, which the seller seems unwilling to address. Is this guy reliable/honest?

I had to email him too about a small problem with my lot.  It took a while for him to contact me but finally he did and it was resolved.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 am 

when the wrong Tegel map was shipped he went above and beyond to correct the problem quickly. He even told me to keep the wrong map that was initially sent.

I've had similar issues with him.  I bought 2 lots from him on Ebay (months apart).  Each time I had to contact him because the lot did not contain the exact items listed.  The count was right, but in each lot some of the items listed had been replaced with other JG items, which interested me less.  

In each instance he eventually made it right.  The first time he shipped the correct items and like the quote above he told me to keep the incorrect ones as well.  The second time he was really hard to get a hold of and I eventually filed an item not as described dispute with Ebay.  He then refunded my full purchase amount and again let me keep all the modules.

He has some really nice items at good prices and he seems honest and very well intentioned, but my impression is that he is either very unorganized or trying to do to many things at once.  I remember that for each botched order his first response was that he was traveling for business and would correct the issue when he returned home.

In short he is worth dealing with, but be prepared for the possibility of a less than smooth transaction.

Papasloth

Please visit my website! Offering out-of-print D&D and AD&D items for sale.

http://www.mikesmagicalmenagerie.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:06 am 

Papasloth wrote:
I've had similar issues with him.  I bought 2 lots from him on Ebay (months apart).  Each time I had to contact him because the lot did not contain the exact items listed.  The count was right, but in each lot some of the items listed had been replaced with other JG items, which interested me less.  

In each instance he eventually made it right.  The first time he shipped the correct items and like the quote above he told me to keep the incorrect ones as well.  The second time he was really hard to get a hold of and I eventually filed an item not as described dispute with Ebay.  He then refunded my full purchase amount and again let me keep all the modules.

He has some really nice items at good prices and he seems honest and very well intentioned, but my impression is that he is either very unorganized or trying to do to many things at once.  I remember that for each botched order his first response was that he was traveling for business and would correct the issue when he returned home.

In short he is worth dealing with, but be prepared for the possibility of a less than smooth transaction.

He is incredibly disorganized.  You will eventually get what you paid for, but you will pretty much never get exactly what you won/ordered the first time.  That's been my experience through the last few years. Unfortunately I had to stop buying from him because of this (because I would typically want certain specific items and not a random sampling of stuff).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:10 pm 

Papasloth wrote:

i have dealt with him a great many times and have spoken to him personally on 100s of occasions. hes a great guy and will always do his utmost for you. however, he DOES have tons of projects on the go and i guess its just a mistake whatever has happened.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm 

Terry (fencert) makes mistakes.  For me, he has always corrected them promptly.

I have spoken with him on the phone several times.  Nice guy.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:23 am 

I'm in the middle of fixing a muddled transaction with him now.  It took a phone call to get it straitened out.  I'd say all the above posts sum it up pretty good.

By the way he is looking to sell all of his stock and get out of the business.  I believe he will sell it all for $3K.  he says he can provide an inventory.  For those who may remeber, this stock is the stock that Tony Zilz (sp?) was selling on eBay years ago.

I live in the same town as Terry (more or less).  He invited me to drop by and pick through what he has, even if I just want onsies and twosies.  I'm going to pick up some mint installments in the mailer envelopes that he has not been listing on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:12 am 

One would wonder why he has not bothered to list them on Ebay.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:43 am 

FormCritic wrote:One would wonder why he has not bothered to list them on Ebay.

Yep, never knew why either.
The envelopes I think he has remaining are Installment T, Dungeoneer 17, but this has been awhile.

But as others have said, and I know I have before, he is a good guy, and helped me out early on with the site when I talked to him on the phone. And yeah even had a mistake.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:21 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Yep, never knew why either.
The envelopes I think he has remaining are Installment T, Dungeoneer 17, but this has been awhile.

But as others have said, and I know I have before, he is a good guy, and helped me out early on with the site when I talked to him on the phone. And yeah even had a mistake.

ShaneG.

It strikes me that dealing with Fencert, one would be much better off just talking to him personally and having him pull the items you want/need instead of bidding on his ebay stock.  Seems there would be much less confusion that way.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:58 pm 

Badmike - since you are local to Terry and I know you sell a lot of JG stuff, I suggested to him that he contact you about selling off his remaining stock.  I hope I didn't over step my boundaries by making that suggestion.  I think he is very motivated to sell, as he needs to clear out his storage area for a new endeavor.

Next