Planescape Sketchbook
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm 

Has anyone owned or seen this book? Were they sold in stores or at conventions? I'm also curious as to how many pages this was and what the print run was (# of copies).

And Finally: Anyone selling one? :D

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:16 pm 

I'm after one of those too...

There is a thread about it somewere here...

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:06 pm 

I recall seing one in Forbidden Planet in the UK. It drew my attention because FP don't sell role playing games. It was in their Fantasy Art section. It was about £16 IIRC which was quite steep at the time. I haven't seen one since.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:25 pm 

You could tape a bunch of Blood War cards together.. maybe cut them up and make a cardboard quilt?

ok, or not.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:03 pm 

Haha, who isn't looking for one :)

I know Azurah has one. Maybe she's kind enough to scan/take pictures for all of us to stare at :)

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:32 am 

Who isn't looking for one, indeed. ;) And... what do you know! I have a couple cruddy scans of a couple pages since I get this question a lot. :}

It's 32 pages long, purely black and white, of course. I've heard so many different numbers as to how many were made, I'm not sure which is true. Though I'd like to clear up the biggest misconception about this thing.... The sketch book is *not* Tony DiTerlizzi's art. A lot of people seem to froth over it because they think it's a huge book of T.D.'s stuff. :} Here's a couple of pages so that you can have a peek. Sorry about the scans. I'll do some better ones some day.

Also, here's what it says on the first page:

"In the beginning, I must say that the world of Planescape didn't really intrigue me or my partner Robh Ruppel. My boss Tom Lavely put a lot of trust in me to conceptualize the new world along with game designers Zeb Cook and Dori Jean Hein. So, with a lot of help and encouragement from Zeb, Dori, and Robh, I dove into it. All of us worked well together and the end result, I feel was an exciting, spiky bumpy world which caught the interest of management and the enthusiasm of the entire TSR staff."
-Dana M. Knutson

Then throughout the book are the sketches, accompanied by Dana Knutson's explanations and insight into their importance. It's very neat to see how the whole thing came together. I only wish the book was longer. :)

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/AzurahSh ... hbookf.jpg
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/AzurahSh ... hbookb.jpg
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/AzurahSh ... spage2.jpg
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/AzurahSh ... spage1.jpg

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:06 pm 

I got curious today - When's the last time anyone's ever seen one of these on eBay?  :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:03 pm 

I've been searching for planescape stuff the last 10 months on ebay in the US, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands and UK. Haven't spotted one since....

Other question for everybody besides azurah: Has anybody EVER seen one on eBay????

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:08 pm 

I think it doesn't exist.. :wink:  :)
It is all a big lie, LIE I TELL YA!

*goes back to his forum where such things like white booklet I's are reported to exist.*

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:13 pm 

It's NOT a lie. We have pictures and eye-witness reports!

...almost as much as the stuff that's prove for the incredible snowman, the monster of Loch Ness and such :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:44 pm 

Terapeak doesn't show anything matching "planescape sketchbook" for May onwards, searching all of eBay.

If one *does* ever show up, the bidding will probably get messy ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:57 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Terapeak doesn't show anything matching "planescape sketchbook" for May onwards, searching all of eBay.

If one *does* ever show up, the bidding will probably get messy ;)

Yep. "Jade Hare with a cover" messy, I'll bet.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:08 pm 

Azurah,

Where did you get your Sketchbook at anyway?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:00 am 

Oddly enough.... eBay. :P  :oops:

It's amusing. I was getting ready to go out to dinner and I was parusing Planescape auctions. I brushed my hair, came back in the computer room and was like... One more refresh of auctions, just in case. And it was just posted in that short period of time. I stared at it for a moment...  It had a BIN of 30 bucks, and I was between jobs and I actually *hesitated*. :P Glad I didn't hesitate for long. I think it was fate. *smile* This was a couple years ago. I checked the feedback I left, seems it was around February of 2003.

The cover isn't in the best of shape, but I love it muchly anyhow. :D

I'm surprised, though, that I've seen the GenCon Faction pins pop up more than the sketchbook. I take it more are acquired through more personal offers and such? And I agree, if any do pop up on eBay, it's going to get reeeeal messy.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:43 am 

Azurah wrote:I got curious today - When's the last time anyone's ever seen one of these on eBay? :?

I have had an alert setup for two years without a single alert.  I also search ebay off and on and look at past sales - never seen it.

Oderint dum metuant...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:48 am 

I owned one.  I bought it from the artist at GenCon.  He was sitting at a small table all by himself.  I barely saw him.  Then when i did, i almost walked by.  But then i saw the Planescape logo and stopped.  Talked to him for a bit, saw the art book had a TSR product number, then bought it.  He signed it and everthing.  Very nice guy.

I sold it for $100.  I don't remember who to though.

rhea..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:03 pm 

I bought Rheas, it was in mint condition :D .....I also owned 2 others.

Too bad some of you guys didn't show up earlier when I was selling everything including the sketchbooks for a cheap price.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:13 pm 

I also have one....and not from Kuo! Very much in mint shape as well. I dont think they sold too well when they were created to be sold at Gen Con/Euro Gen Con.

Very few of them are too be found. Prolly one of the more frustratingly rare TSR items existing and more interestingly from the 2e era.

On a side note. Where the hell did Rhea come from. Just when I was about to say he is a shining example of someone who can leave the hobby for good...he shows up.

Next