Question about Halls of the Dwarven Kings CDM1
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 am 

In this post,

viewtopic.php?t=9725&highlight=halls+dwarven+kings

it's said that there are three prints for the CDM1 boxed set. I own one and I would like to know what are the differences between the different printings if any ? As far as I know, there is no printing information on the box or on the booklet and I found no informations on internet for that.
Thanks.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 am 

Paging Mark.. Mark, please pick up the white courtesy phone and answer this fine question.

(Or if anyone else actually has multiple of these and can answer... Ian?... but Mark brought it up in the first place.)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 pm 

Okay, I will take a look at them this afternoon.  I'm sure I have the printing differences posted somewhere though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:20 pm 

:D  And here was me standing around looking at that gauntlet just hoping someone else would pick it up.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 pm 

Mars wrote:Okay, I will take a look at them this afternoon.  I'm sure I have the printing differences posted somewhere though.

Nah, you keep dodging it for your own nefarious purposes, I'm sure.

Bwah ha ha ha ha...

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:29 pm 

Alright, here are the differences in the 3 prints:

1st:
* Box - back bottom right has "Endless Plans are copyright A. Hickling (Endless Games)."
* Book 1: no cover, title on top, and text, white paper, 24 pages
* Character sheets on individual white cardstock sheets, Mendri's Army/Mass Combat written page and How to Use Endless Plans on goldenrod paper
* Illustrations on individual glossy sheets - includes full size copies of Cranneg, Morthwaine, and Raurch
* Screen - cover is a B&W drawing of some dwarves, one with crown.
* includes The Six Commandments ad sheet
* Genadier Fantasy Lords ad sheet
* Endless Plans (Forests) cover sheet

2nd:
* Box - back bottom right has "Endless Plans are copyright            Endless Games ."
* Book 1: cover is a dark brown cover with golden text, table of contents and intro page added.
* Book 2: The Characters - now in book form, dark brown cover, golden text, table of contents added, 3 character illustrations reduced to one page.
* Book 3: The Scenes - now in book form, #65 in centre of book is blown up to fit 2 pages, also includes the full size illustrations of Cranneg, Morthwaine, and Raurch
NOTE: The golden text on covers of the books gets lighter from 1 to 3.
* Screen - black screen with white text, picture of a fighter stabbing a dwarf
* the handouts and cutout sheets are the same (but no cover sheet)

3rd:
* Contents the same as 2nd print but box is different size about 0.6cm longer and 0.5cm wider

I know I have gone through this before and remember there is some revision (probably small) in the scenario from 1st print to 2nd print.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 pm 

Interesting!

It's surprising that this was popular enough to go through several printings (although we don't know how big each print run was, of course).

Have you found variations in the others in the series?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:42 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Have you found variations in the others in the series?

The only other variation I have found is the boxed / unboxed Kasar Khan.  There may be variations in the other two boxes as well but I don't think I have had enough pass through my hands to determine any.

The two prints for CDM1 as fairly clear and the 3rd was found when it showed up in another purchase.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:10 am 

Mars wrote:Alright, here are the differences in the 3 prints:

1st:
* Box - back bottom right has "Endless Plans are copyright A. Hickling (Endless Games)."
* Book 1: no cover, title on top, and text, white paper, 24 pages
* Character sheets on individual white cardstock sheets, Mendri's Army/Mass Combat written page and How to Use Endless Plans on goldenrod paper
* Illustrations on individual glossy sheets - includes full size copies of Cranneg, Morthwaine, and Raurch
* Screen - cover is a B&W drawing of some dwarves, one with crown.
* includes The Six Commandments ad sheet
* Genadier Fantasy Lords ad sheet
* Endless Plans (Forests) cover sheet

2nd:
* Box - back bottom right has "Endless Plans are copyright            Endless Games ."
* Book 1: cover is a dark brown cover with golden text, table of contents and intro page added.
* Book 2: The Characters - now in book form, dark brown cover, golden text, table of contents added, 3 character illustrations reduced to one page.
* Book 3: The Scenes - now in book form, #65 in centre of book is blown up to fit 2 pages, also includes the full size illustrations of Cranneg, Morthwaine, and Raurch
NOTE: The golden text on covers of the books gets lighter from 1 to 3.
* Screen - black screen with white text, picture of a fighter stabbing a dwarf
* the handouts and cutout sheets are the same (but no cover sheet)

3rd:
* Contents the same as 2nd print but box is different size about 0.6cm longer and 0.5cm wider

I know I have gone through this before and remember there is some revision (probably small) in the scenario from 1st print to 2nd print.

Thanks Mars for the precious information you gave to us about the differences between the different printings.
I guess that as the CDM1 was the first set, the first print was probably not important in quantity. I remember that I bought one when it was available and that it was a great success in Europa, especially in UK and France. A new type of product with a great background and atmosphere during the game.
Probably this quick success explains the second then the third printing and a second printing with much better finished product with stapled booklets with covers rather than flying sheets for characters and illustrations.
I'm interested to see so many little differences between the first and the second print.