Expeditious Retreat Press Sale
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:55 am 

Expeditious Retreat Press is having a pretty good sale at the moment.  Most of their Advanced Adventures line are only $4 marked down from $12.  If you have not tried them, they are pretty good reads and have an excellent old school vibe.

Expeditious Retreat Press

Enjoy! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:22 am 

I picked up several of the newer additional adventures, and if you haven't checked them out thus far, I particularly recommend James Boney's modules:

#20: The Riddle of Anadi
#16: Under Shattered Mountain
#13: White Dragon Run
#8: The Seven Shrines of Nav'k-Qar
#6: The Chasm of the Damned

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:32 pm 

Thanks for this recommendation!  I went on-line and bought eight adventures, as I had never tried them out before and they looked interesting.  I particularly appreciated grodog pointing out some specific modules to buy.

I bought #1, #4, #6, #8, #16, #18, #23 and #24.  I received #1, #6, #8, #12, #16, #18, #23 and #24.  No #4 but #12 instead!  I'll and see what happens next and report it here.

The Priority Mail shipping was $14.65 and the grand total was $46.65. I ordered them on the 17th and received them today.  The actual shipping on the package was $7.05, a fairly large difference, but I've seen worse.  I communicated that condition was important to me, and that I wanted them to arrive in good condition.  Below is a picture of the actual shipping package and the inserted cardboard to keep them "safe" (I covered my address and tracking info with a piece of paper).  Fortunately, the modules did arrive in good condition, but the shipper put a lot of faith in the Post Office.  He did ship everything quickly.

The fonts and layouts and maps are all reminiscent of old school D&D adventures, which I really liked.  I have not read any of them yet, but look forward to it.

For what it is worth, all the adventures I received were 16 pages long except #23 and #24 which were 24 pages long each.  Also, the last page of each adventure was the Open Game License statement, and it was common for the next to last page to be an advertisement for their other products on sale.  That's not that big a deal, but it may interest some of you.  If I have time and interest, I might post a review or two of the adventures once I read some of them.

EDIT: Joseph already replied and said he'd mail me my missing #4. adventure.  Impressive reply time!  :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:56 am 

benjoshua wrote in Expeditious Retreat Press Sale:Thanks for this recommendation!  I went on-line and bought eight adventures, as I had never tried them out before and they looked interesting.  I particularly appreciated grodog pointing out some specific modules to buy.

I bought #1, #4, #6, #8, #16, #18, #23 and #24.  I received #1, #6, #8, #12, #16, #18, #23 and #24.  No #4 but #12 instead!  I'll and see what happens next and report it here.

The Priority Mail shipping was $14.65 and the grand total was $46.65. I ordered them on the 17th and received them today.  The actual shipping on the package was $7.05, a fairly large difference, but I've seen worse.  I communicated that condition was important to me, and that I wanted them to arrive in good condition.  Below is a picture of the actual shipping package and the inserted cardboard to keep them "safe" (I covered my address and tracking info with a piece of paper).  Fortunately, the modules did arrive in good condition, but the shipper put a lot of faith in the Post Office.  He did ship everything quickly.

[ Image ]

The fonts and layouts and maps are all reminiscent of old school D&D adventures, which I really liked.  I have not read any of them yet, but look forward to it.

For what it is worth, all the adventures I received were 16 pages long except #23 and #24 which were 24 pages long each.  Also, the last page of each adventure was the Open Game License statement, and it was common for the next to last page to be an advertisement for their other products on sale.  That's not that big a deal, but it may interest some of you.  If I have time and interest, I might post a review or two of the adventures once I read some of them.

EDIT: Joseph already replied and said he'd mail me my missing #4. adventure.  Impressive reply time!  :)

The "Do Not Bend" is actually a Federal Law the USPS MUST follow.... :roll:

But actually, I've had very few problems with the USPS as a buyer and seller.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:15 am 

muaddib5 wrote in Expeditious Retreat Press Sale:
The "Do Not Bend" is actually a Federal Law the USPS MUST follow.... :roll:

But actually, I've had very few problems with the USPS as a buyer and seller.

I've shipped more than a few packages with the "Do Not Bend" statement myself a few times, and it usually helps.  Likewise, I have had few shipping problems with USPS.  However, creases are not the only kind of damage I fear in these kinds of shipments.  His packing did nothing to prevent shifting and edge-wear/edge-damage.  One of my basic packing guidelines for collectibles is that if the contents are shifting, they are more likely to get damaged.   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:16 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Expeditious Retreat Press Sale: If I have time and interest, I might post a review or two of the adventures once I read some of them.

I have had a chance to read a few of these adventures, and I have been pleased with my purchases so far.  I've read #6, #8, #13 and #16, all written by James Boney, as grodog recommended.  All had the old-school vibe, and all were well written.  The illustrations and maps were well done.  I found no typos in any of the adventures.  

All of these feature bound covers which surprised me.  The font and layout were definitely reminiscent of 1st Edition TSR products featuring in bold all magic items, for example.  Therefore, why the covers were bound and blank, instead being loose (un-stapled) and featuring blue maps like most old-school products, puzzled me.  It's not that big a deal, but I found it curious.

#6, #8 and #16 were all high-level adventures and all were potential TPK adventures.  Adventures #6 and #8 were 16 pages long, but #16 was only 12 pages long.  Of the four adventures I've read so far, #13, was the least interesting.  Basically, I found it to be a B2 clone, with a little more attention given to the "keep" which was a town and less attention/type given to the "Caves of Chaos" which in this adventure was "The Grey Temple" and "The Forgotten Outpost."  It was also of a slightly higher level than B2 for characters of 2-4th levels.

Again, overall, very good, good quality products.  By the way, the sale appears to still be going on.   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:11 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Expeditious Retreat Press Sale:Therefore, why the covers were bound and blank, instead being loose (un-stapled) and featuring blue maps like most old-school products, puzzled me.  It's not that big a deal, but I found it curious.

Perfect-binding with no printing on the inside covers is, generally speaking, less expensive to produce than staple-bound with printing on the inside covers. Black and white map printing is also less expensive to produce than color (blue) map printing; even when printed on the insides of covers.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:42 am 

benjoshua wrote:Of the four adventures I've read so far, #13, was the least interesting.  Basically, I found it to be a B2 clone, with a little more attention given to the "keep" which was a town and less attention/type given to the "Caves of Chaos" which in this adventure was "The Grey Temple" and "The Forgotten Outpost."  It was also of a slightly higher level than B2 for characters of 2-4th levels.

Not that you're offering really harsh criticism of White Dragon Run or anything, but I'll offer a contrasting, slightly more flattering opinion.

I found this module very useful and my group quite enjoyed it too. My players have all played, read and discussed B2 to death, but still wanted a borderlands adventure area. I like making dungeons, but don't really care to create towns and NPCs. White Dragon Run presented a good solution - a town (with decent amount of detail) that forms the base of a small sand box area (hexmap included) and two of what I'll call dungeon "seeds" (the Grey Temple and Forgotten Outpost). The rumor table was fun (especially after the same one came up three times, "The hills west of the run are filled with the bodies of dead adventurers like yourselves.") and gave me some inspiration as well. Several NPCs became recurring characters (good guys and bad guys). After a couple of sessions, I expanded the hexmap and both dungeons, even making the Forgotten Outpost the first level of my megadungeon (at the time).

We ended up playing in this area for two years (around 30 sessions) and all have very fond memories. I ultimately included other modules both in the countryside (Many Gates of the Gann [Fullerton], TAKEN from Dunwich [Talanian], Ice Tower of the Salka [Boney]) and also on lower levels of the Forgotten Outpost (The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom [Finch] and something else, I think). Everyone's played, read and discussed the classics to death, so none of them made an appearance.

Anyone who wants to see how it unfolded can check out these two long threads at K&KA: Campaign Journal and Referees Notes.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:49 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Expeditious Retreat Press Sale: Joseph already replied and said he'd mail me my missing #4. adventure.  Impressive reply time!  :)

Got it today.  Impressive ship time and customer service!   :)

Guy Fullerton wrote in Expeditious Retreat Press Sale:Perfect-binding with no printing on the inside covers is, generally speaking, less expensive to produce than staple-bound with printing on the inside covers. Black and white map printing is also less expensive to produce than color (blue) map printing; even when printed on the insides of covers.

Agreed, but while I can't imagine it costing that much more, I must confess little experience with printing these kinds of items.  And while I like the nostalgia effect those blue maps evoke, I like the lower cost more, so I am not complaining.  $4.00 per module, if it's a quality product, is a good deal in my opinion.

Chainsaw wrote in Expeditious Retreat Press Sale:Not that you're offering really harsh criticism of White Dragon Run or anything, but I'll offer a contrasting, slightly more flattering opinion.

I am pleased you shared your opinion.  I am guessing other people might be reading this and want to know whether these items are worthwhile or not.  I hope other people share their viewpoints, positive or negative.

Indeed, it wasn't harsh criticism, and to compare it to a classic like B2, which I have enjoyed as a player and a DM, was intended as an overall compliment.  I did not list or clarify what I value most as I read these kinds of products.  While I obviously appreciated the low cost of these items and the quality of the editing, I am also looking for new ideas and compelling stories that make sense.  I like adventures that make parties think, and nothing too rail-roady, sadistic, monty-haul, or hack-n-slash.  What I've seen so far are products that are not only a good read, but should be enjoyable to DM.   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:19 am 

benjoshua wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:Not that you're offering really harsh criticism of White Dragon Run or anything, but I'll offer a contrasting, slightly more flattering opinion.

I am pleased you shared your opinion.  I am guessing other people might be reading this and want to know whether these items are worthwhile or not.  I hope other people share their viewpoints, positive or negative.

Indeed, it wasn't harsh criticism, and to compare it to a classic like B2, which I have enjoyed as a player and a DM, was intended as an overall compliment.  I did not list or clarify what I value most as I read these kinds of products.  While I obviously appreciated the low cost of these items and the quality of the editing, I am also looking for new ideas and compelling stories that make sense.  I like adventures that make parties think, and nothing too rail-roady, sadistic, monty-haul, or hack-n-slash.  What I've seen so far are products that are not only a good read, but should be enjoyable to DM.   8)

Sorry man! Didn't mean to seem like I was coming at you or anything, though in retrospect maybe it looks that way.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 am 

Howdy, i was thinking to put some of the XRP stuff for sale/trade in the next future... hereby the items i have...
If someone is interested, pls drop me a message.
Thanks and ciaooo

1on1 - Gambler's Quest        #1
1on1 - The Star of Olindor        #2
1on1 - The Forbibben Hills        #3
1on1 - The Sixth Cavalier        #4
1on1 - Vale of the Sepulcher        #5
1on1 - The Shroud of Olindor        #6
1on1 - The Pleasure Prison of the B'Thuvian Demon Whore        #6.66
1on1 - Eyes of the Dragon        #7
1on1 - Blood Brothers        #8
1on1 - Legacy of Darkness        #9
1on1 - Journey into Riddle Canyon        #12
1on1 - The Pearls of Pohjola        #13
AA#1 - The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom       
AA#2 - The Red Mausoleum       
AA#7 - The Sarcophagus Legion       
AA#14 - The Verdant Vault of Malakum       
AA#25 - Beneath the Heart of the Empire

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:34 pm 

I have had a chance to read a few more of these adventures, and I remain pleased with my purchases.  I've read #16, #1, #23, & #24.  #16 is another James Boney, high-level adventure, and I enjoyed it, but it's only 12 pages long.  Mr. Boney is creative with his background information, his map layouts, monster selection/creation and treasures, but he does not do a lot of puzzles.  Frankly, I like to read about inspired puzzles, but I dislike them as a player and a DM.  It's difficult to create a puzzle that most every party will dissect and still feel challenged.  Anyway, if you like puzzles, you won't find many in his modules.

#1, #23, & #24 are part of a series, although a good DM could use any one of them independently.  In my opinion, these adventures could be useful to help fill-out areas of D2 and D3 which were left for DM's to fill out by Gary Gygax.  Although, Dragonsfoot members attempted this task with some good ideas here:

Dragonsfoot • View topic - [1E] Collaborative Project: Mapping the Depths of the Earth

The level of monsters could be increased if you wanted to use these encounters in D2 & D3 as these modules are for a party of 6-10 players of 3-6th level, but that's easy for a competent DM.  

Also, I found my first typo in adventure #1, and I think I found one more in #24, but I'm not sure.  Still, mistakes are rare in these products.  None of the adventures in this series were written by James Boney, and these were not particularly creative, although there were some good bits, but they were robust as #23 and #24 were both 24 pages long.  A good DM could make these adventures quite interesting and a poor DM could easily make these a slog, but I guess that's true of lots of products.

The bottom line here is, that for $4.00 an adventure, these Expeditious Retreat products are a good deal.   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:42 am 

And now there's another option for getting these products even cheaper!  Lulu now has a sale going on:

jkason wrote in At last! A Lulu discount coupon!:Good through Dec 31 on all print books, photo books, and calendars.

NEWYEAR30 (case sensitive)

And Expeditious Retreat offers "Advanced Adventures Compendiums" through Lulu.
Advanced Adventures Compendium One contains adventures 1-10
Advanced Adventures Compendium Two contains adventures 11-20
Advanced Adventures Compendium Three contains adventures 21-30
Since they are normally $50.00 each, by using the 30% off coupon, they'd be $35.00 each, making each adventure $3.50 each plus shipping.

I do not get a commission for this information, but I wish I did!   :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:14 am 

I read the final two adventures I ordered, and continue to like what I purchased.  I read Advanced Adventures #4 and #12.  #12 is for 4-6 adventurers of levels 5-7, one of the more common ranges for published adventures.  The adventure had an interesting big boss bad guy, and some interesting opportunities for a good DM to challenge players.  However, this publication was only 12 pages long, so you don't get a lot of bang for the buck.  #4 was the lengthiest adventure by far at 32 pages.  It was also the toughest in my opinion as it was written for 4-7 adventurers of levels 8-10.  I can't see any party emerging from this adventure without losing a player or three somewhere.  There were some challenging puzzles, really tough monsters, and some killer traps.  I enjoyed reading both of these adventures, but I would probably never DM #4 unless the players asked me to throw something like Tomb of Horrors at them.   :twisted:

Finally, for what it is worth, the sale is still going on!   :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:35 pm 

Darn kids wanted shopkins and stuff for Christmas. :)
Good to know this is still going on though. I'll have to look at it again.
Thanks!
--Ron--