Nystul's Infinite Dungeon kickstarter
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:57 am 

Just noticed that Mike Nystul's kickstarter project has an OSRIC version added now:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/206 ... te-dungeon

I like that we're seeing multiple versions for some of these projects.  I'd pass on everything that was 3.5/PF, but OSRIC or S&W and I'm interested.

By my reading of the reward levels and stretch goals, a pledge of $150, but selecting the $75 reward level, gets you everything physical.  If you care about naming things or playing in Mike's game, it's more.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am 

I am getting kickstarter blues lately :(

Truthfully I would like to see the product before I purchase, old school thinking I guess.

I find myself considering buying all this kickstarter stuff, getting all this cool promo and limited print items but then I stop and say "What am I going to do with 4 copies of Rappun Athak?".  

This latest one has you shelling out $75.00 to get all the printed stuff, pay now and get it in September (if they can make the deadline).  What if the item is crap?  What if the item is great? What if a meteor strikes the office and shuts it down and you get nothing?

All in all I just have the kickstarter blues....

Well off to support another unseen project i guess LOL, dont want to miss out!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:07 pm 

You are right to feel skittish. Since the early 90s many if not most wargaming companies have used "pre-ordering" to prioritize their game releases (See the "P500" link at www.gmtgames.com, for example). This has allowed a number of companies to remain financially viable but imo has resulted in an abundance of games of marginal quality. It has also allowed companies to remain viable that really should have been pushed out of business (e.g. HMS/GRD).

When you allow companies or individuals to play with your money as opposed to their own it creates a temptation toward mediocrity, and that's my biggest beef with Kickstarter. They would do better to only fund projects from people or groups with an established track record of success.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 pm 

The only 2 Kickstarts I've delved into are Swordsmen of Hyperborea which looked a good Old school style item anFGG Rappan Athuk SW work, as I can't see that going wrong in any form. However for me, I'll not go balls-deep on anything that gives multiple copies, as I'm happy with some goodies and a physical copy and PDF, as that'll do me. Usually see sit at around $100 I guess.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:The only 2 Kickstarts I've delved into are Swordsmen of Hyperborea which looked a good Old school style item anFGG Rappan Athuk SW work, as I can't see that going wrong in any form. However for me, I'll not go balls-deep on anything that gives multiple copies, as I'm happy with some goodies and a physical copy and PDF, as that'll do me. Usually see sit at around $100 I guess.

I can't purchase a copy of RA for less than the kickstarter cost for a physical copy so it was a no brainer for me.  Bonus stuff is just that.  I'm also skittish about agreeing to pay for something of unknown quality so most of the kickstarters get passed up.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 pm 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:The only 2 Kickstarts I've delved into are Swordsmen of Hyperborea which looked a good Old school style item anFGG Rappan Athuk SW work, as I can't see that going wrong in any form. However for me, I'll not go balls-deep on anything that gives multiple copies, as I'm happy with some goodies and a physical copy and PDF, as that'll do me. Usually see sit at around $100 I guess.

I can't purchase a copy of RA for less than the kickstarter cost for a physical copy so it was a no brainer for me.  Bonus stuff is just that.  I'm also skittish about agreeing to pay for something of unknown quality so most of the kickstarters get passed up.

Exactly! To get RA and goodies for $100 and have it in a form that I'd use ie not 3.5ed
then it's a great deal.
But as for other KS deals, I'm not sure. And this one of putting in $150 and securing the $75 level deal isn't sounding great (although I've not checked the link and deal yet)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:07 pm 

cleavet wrote: .... When you allow companies or individuals to play with your money as opposed to their own it creates a temptation toward mediocrity...

Add in the word Fraud and that looks like a news blurb after someone on Wall Street has gone Ponzie...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:00 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
cleavet wrote: .... When you allow companies or individuals to play with your money as opposed to their own it creates a temptation toward mediocrity...

Add in the word Fraud and that looks like a news blurb after everyone on Wall Street has gone Ponzie...

Almost. Almost.  :D

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:11 pm 

I agree that some of the Kickstarters are gambles.  Well, technically, they're all gambles, but that's a different discussion...

The challenging part for collectors is that some of the bonus items in any Kickstarter may be printed very close to the initial pledges, so getting one afterwards, if it does turn out to be cool, could be challenging.  You aren't just waiting for unsold stock to enter the market; you need someone who initially purchased it to decide they don't want it.

Obviously, it's hard to go after everything.  I pointed this one out because of who the writer is.

ashmire13 wrote:And this one of putting in $150 and securing the $75 level deal isn't sounding great (although I've not checked the link and deal yet)

So you're saying it doesn't sound good before you read it so you can know what you're talking about?   :roll:

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Just noticed that Mike Nystul's kickstarter project has an OSRIC version added now:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063410154/nystuls-infinite-dungeon

I like that we're seeing multiple versions for some of these projects.  I'd pass on everything that was 3.5/PF, but OSRIC or S&W and I'm interested.

By my reading of the reward levels and stretch goals, a pledge of $150, but selecting the $75 reward level, gets you everything physical.  If you care about naming things or playing in Mike's game, it's more.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Do you mean that you need to pledge $150 to get the $75 reward?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:08 pm 

No, what I'm saying is that buried in the many options is a note that says you can add $75 to any reward level to add a hardcover normally available only in the $100 retailer level.  Since the $75 level gets all the regular "stuff", you'd pledge $150 but select the $75 reward, so the extra $75 would go to that hardcover.  At least, that's how I read it.

Or it could be more efficient to have someone be a retailer, buy the retailer hardcovers (4 for $100), and distribute them.  But there doesn't seem to be a provision for buying multiple sets of the regular version (like Rappan Athuk has), so that person would have to not want the regular version.  Or we could ask about buying multiple sets.

I don't know.  I just pointed it out.  Go read for yourself and see what you think.   :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:13 am 

TheHistorian wrote:So you're saying it doesn't sound good before you read it so you can know what you're talking about?   :roll:

I was taking it based on your post. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption as you're a regular poster here and highly regarded member.

Having read the link I'm even more concerned now. It reads to me that you are buying into this at Part 1. The price for Part 2 may come down depending on orders. So, is it my reading of it that for $100 or whatever, you'll get the Deluxe starter with Prologue and Chapter 1, then you'll have to bang out another $100 or whatever for Chapter 2, etc etc...?? That's a damn expensive adventure, if so. Can't say I'm that impressed by the marketing in comparison to the KS deals that I have plunged my cash into to support them.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 am 

TheHistorian wrote:No, what I'm saying is that buried in the many options is a note that says you can add $75 to any reward level to add a hardcover normally available only in the $100 retailer level.  Since the $75 level gets all the regular "stuff", you'd pledge $150 but select the $75 reward, so the extra $75 would go to that hardcover.  At least, that's how I read it.

Or it could be more efficient to have someone be a retailer, buy the retailer hardcovers (4 for $100), and distribute them.  But there doesn't seem to be a provision for buying multiple sets of the regular version (like Rappan Athuk has), so that person would have to not want the regular version.  Or we could ask about buying multiple sets.

I don't know.  I just pointed it out.  Go read for yourself and see what you think.   :D

I read it the same way...just a HUGE price difference if you just want a copy of the hard cover...i.e. if you're a normal person, you're paying $75 (hard cover premium) + $25 (the minimal entry point to get the option of paying the hard cover premium) just to get a single copy, or you can get your local retailer to pony up $100 and get four copies of the hard cover. I realize there's a huge benefit for them to get the books in the local stores, but it seems a little off kilter to me.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:57 am 

ashmire13 wrote:I was taking it based on your post. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption as you're a regular poster here and highly regarded member.

I see the problem... you were holding me in high regard!    :lol:

Having read the link I'm even more concerned now. It reads to me that you are buying into this at Part 1. The price for Part 2 may come down depending on orders. So, is it my reading of it that for $100 or whatever, you'll get the Deluxe starter with Prologue and Chapter 1, then you'll have to bang out another $100 or whatever for Chapter 2, etc etc...?? That's a damn expensive adventure, if so. Can't say I'm that impressed by the marketing in comparison to the KS deals that I have plunged my cash into to support them.

Hmm, yeah, I think you're right.  I didn't read it that way at first, but I think that's right - maybe $75 or so per section, so this could be a few hundred in the end.  That's pretty aggressive, for sure.  Rappan Athuk can pull it off because it's a known quantity, but this?

I have to go ponder having a hole in my OSRIC collection now...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:01 pm 

I don't know but honestly my view was ...get a buddy or 2... I am in for a 1K for Rappan Athuk Kickstarter with a buddy... in the end we will split the price.. and all the other shit, to do otherwise is really throwing money into a black hole...from our perspective...I love the concept of all these but there is the risk...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:40 am 

ashmire13 wrote:
SoulCatcher78 wrote:

Exactly! To get RA and goodies for $100 and have it in a form that I'd use ie not 3.5ed
then it's a great deal.
But as for other KS deals, I'm not sure. And this one of putting in $150 and securing the $75 level deal isn't sounding great (although I've not checked the link and deal yet)

Hey ashmire13,

I thought we would need to put in at the $250 level to get a physical copy of everything for RA?

Best regards,
Ronald

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:51 am 

rhynne wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:
then it's a great deal.

Hey ashmire13,

I thought we would need to put in at the $250 level to get a physical copy of everything for RA?

Best regards,
Ronald

$100 gets the leather stitched RA and some goodies, if not the extra 7b. That's fine for me.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:39 am 

Yikes!  After all that, I'm having a problem with pledging to this kickstarter.  Problem on my end, not the project's.  If anyone can help me get a copy (unlikely, in that there are only three hours left), please PM me, and I'll explain.

EDIT: And I've been helped out!  Thanks for the support!