Collecting Goals
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:47 am 

Being new to this hobby, but not new to collecting.

In terms of D&D collecting, what do most of you seek to do?  For example, is your goal:
1)  to collect all of a certain subject matter (e.g., all AD&D 1e products)
2)  to collect only certain valuable and rare pieces
3)  to just have the items you like to play with and use
4)  to collect 1st printings
5)  to collect in order to re-sell and run an online business
6)  Other..

Just curious to hear what sort of goals others might have..

I'll go first.  I'm so new to this that I initially wanted to just have fun collecting certain items that I fondly recall from my childhood and teenage years.

Now I'm starting to lean more towards having a complete collection (except for the VERY PRICEY rares) of AD&D products.  I know this will take a long time, but that is sort of a goal that I'm starting towards (I think!).

Also, a question on "completism."  What would you term a "complete" collection of a product line?  For example, if your goal is to have a complete collection of Basic D&D products, would your collection be considered complete if you owned the "Boxed Set with B1 Module," but not the B1 module on its own?

George

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm 

1) I like to collect the game systems I have played, including but not limited to:

- Dungeons and Dragons (from the small boxed sets to 4.0, with an emphasis on 3.5 D&D)
- Subgroups of Dungeons and Dragons (Judges Guild, Kalamar, Pathfinder)
- Rolemaster (just Rolemaster, not MERP)
- Legend of the Five Rings (3rd Ed.)
- What I call fringe games (or games I have not played as frequently, but IMHO are still cool...) Car Wars, Gama World, Shadowrun

2) I do not collect to invest, but I do recognize the value of an item I'm buying. I don't purchase rare items for investment, but because I don't have them.

3) Although I like to collect shrinkwraped items, I have the philosophy that everything that I buy is meant to be played at one time or another. (So if I do have something in the shrink, I'll also have a played copy of it).

4) If I can't find a 1st print, that's fine. I might try to find one later though.

5) I have extra modules that I usually bring to cons (like Gencon) to re-sell, but that's never been my primary goal. That usually happens when I acquire an e-bay purchase for one or two items in a larger lot.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Last edited by Invincible Overlord on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm 

Agree with most of what IO stated.
But my games played list is different; since I have never played most of the games he listed.

My main rule for collecting is that I do not care that I do not own EVERY printing of EVERY item or group of items that I collect.
That said, I am obviously NOT a completist...
Not even close.

Also I am not a SW junky, though I do appreciate those who are and if I am able to get SWed items, I do not rip the SW off as a matter of habit.
I would rather TRY to obtain a second copy to play with.

Also, I would rather have a huge stack of nice condition (collectable grade) common items than one nice condition ultra rare item.
And I have no doubt that I will never own Ultra Rare, and unique items and will not even try (mostly).
But if one comes up and I decide it is time to get it, then I might bid to win... if I have the funds to do so.
There are several Ultra Rare items that I do not have a care about owning.
ST1 Up the Garden Path being just one of those.
Would much prefer to spend that 2k on a mint 2nd print woodie if I was somehow given the chance at both and had the funds on hand.

My list of what I want to collect in no certain order of preference:
All TSR Modules up to and including 2nd Edition, and some 3.5 Edition
Some D20, including DCC Modules (I am almost done with that… missing only a couple of the rarest modules)
Runequest
Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne)
Tunnels and Trolls (Not every printing of course)
Judges Guild (unlike IO: I do not consider JG to be a sub-group of D&D as they published other product lines too)
Add in a HUGE list of small publishers (there are so many of them, that I wont even bother to try to list them all)
Art Prints, I just have a few and do not actively search for them.
(Also have a few original art pieces … all of them VERY low cost items)

Metallic Miniatures: Although Not to the point that I collect any certain kind, or any certain makers…
(I do not even know how to tell most of them apart)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 pm 

Mainly have fun.  I like some rares and ultra rares and don't like other rares as much, no rhyme or reason.  I don't seem to prioritize rares over other cool things, just focus on what's available and a good deal if I can get it.  I wander from OD&D through 4th edition and haphazardly collect other fantasy related items.  

I think investing in this stuff is kinda crazy.  I buy too much stuff from people that sold for less than or equal to current prices when they bought it as far back as 2004 or so.  On the other hand flipping duplicates on ebay is entertaining and eases the cash flow.... lol.  

I especially like getting to experience something new.  I don't really care if it is perfect if I haven't seen it, but to stay in the "keep" pile, it probably needs to be unique or in quite good shape!

I also like the fact that stuff keeps getting made.  I get to try to figure out how low the remainder price for some stuff will go before it starts going back up again.  Silly fun.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:11 pm 

My goal is rather simple, I wish to own at least one copy of every item published for D&D from the original to 3.5(plus all identified printings).  Only items which add to the D&D intelectual property (not bendies or any of that nonsense). Also at least one in package copy of any licenced miniature for D&D as well.  A lofty goal indeed :) but I have thousands of items and not to much left to get!

Question is what to get after I am done?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 pm 

My goal is simple. I want to own a good quality PDF of everything published for D&D (or in most cases usable with D&D) all the way up to present day. To that end I need to spend a lot of time buying and selling on eBay and a lot of time with a scanner.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:30 pm 

Different goals for different reasons:

1) Complete Shadowrun and Earthdawn simply because I like both games a great deal. Aside from articles printed in third party magazines and things I don't really collect (miniatures, for example), this is about 99% done; it got expanded when I decided to start hunting down 3rd and 4th edition works.

2) Get non-TSR RPG systems for the enjoyment of reading and playing games that are D&D but are not D&D. This will never be finished as there are far too many game systems to try out and many of them are hard to find which means this one conflicts with the third goal (by eating up a lot of cash.)

3) Create a "traveling museum" and go to conventions to display the living history of the RPG hobby. I'll most likely never get this one accomplished simply because I am missing too much and what I am missing is very expensive.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:49 pm 

I'm aiming for HB copies of all AD&D 1st Ed books, good condition, any print, I'm nearly there (I know, small time over here :lol:  ) and anything that that is interesting and could be used in one BIG gaming world, whether JG, Pelinore, Zhalindor, AD&D, D20 3.0 or 3.5, etc, etc.
I had a white box and all 5 booklets, it wasn't being used, I was scared to read it in case I damaged it, so sold it for probably half what I paid.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:14 pm 

I just want one of each boardgame published in the USA in the 20th century. (Then I'll start on the 19th century.)

All this roleplaying stuff is just 'on the side'. ;>

FM

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 pm 

My goal when I started was to acquire nice copies (I had crappy ones already) of all of the pre-1983 AD&D products. This includes most of what I actually owned and played when they were published. Rather than try to get the earliest printings of the hardcovers, I focused on the "definitive" printings, i.e., the earliest printing in which the errata had been incorporated. Also all of the AD&D modules and supplements published prior to 1983 (and a couple from '83).

I figured it was an achievable goal, and turns out I was right since I've achieved it :). Along the way I've ended up with some other games and extras, some non-TSR D&D stuff, and picked up new interests, which I suppose was inevitable, so now I also have all 2nd edition and later Skyrealms of Jorune items, a couple stacks of The/Dragon magazines (almost all in the #8 - #100 range), etc..

Problem is that now I either have to expand my RPG collecting criteria or move back to spending my $ on my other obsessio...I mean collection (Fantasy/SF hardcovers).

I guess my advice is to start out with modest goals, and once you get there you can always opt to expand.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 pm 

I sold most of my rares privately so my collection now has a peculiar focus:

It's a collection of "real D&D as it is actually enjoyed."  Colored Monster Manuals, B1s fully annotated, homebrew modules with hand-drawn covers, epic unpublished dungeon maps (my fave), dog-chewed dice, miniatures with melted heads, character sheets with pizza stains and tawdry random adventure logs.

The collection started as an "unsellable" box in my eBay days, when I would buy lots and sort them out.  Somehow it grew on me like a fungus and became the best part of the collection.  Go figure.   :lol:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:53 pm 

I don't collect goals. They take up too much living room space. That and the 'footballers' keep breaking my windows.  :evil:

At this time, my personal collecting goals are tied to nostalgia. Aside from a few 'luxury' items that catch my fancy (OCE set plus supplements for instance), I'm into gathering the stuff I and my friends used (or wanted to but lacked the funds) when we started. Pretty much consists of:

Holmes boxed set; Moldvay books and BECM (not I) books; AD&D hardbacks (sans Planes and Survival Guides); original dice set (yellow d4, orange d6, green d8 etc.); monochrome modules, plus a few others such as A1, A2, and B2; M&T assortments and Geos (the separate versions); Greyhawk folio; Monochrome character sheets and similar accessories (most of which have the Otus covers).

Where possible, wizard logo rather than the face.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm 

I am a D&D/AD&D/TSR centric collector but I have branched out into other RPG's as well...pretty much anything that interests me.  I have a good sized Shadowrun collection and have a near complete MERP collection.  I will also pick up the occasional book for Call of Cthulhu, Harn, Runequest, Traveller, Space Opera, Twilight: 2000, and a few others.  I have a handful of rares I have picked up over the last few years but I dont actively look to acquire them.  Too darn expensive.

My advice is this:
Dont pay more for something than what you want to pay.  More often than not you will get it cheaper later.
Don't get frustrated when you get outbid.  Another one will always come along.
Shrinkwrap is evil.  Stay away from it or you may lose your soul.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:I sold most of my rares privately so my collection now has a peculiar focus:

It's a collection of "real D&D as it is actually enjoyed."  Colored Monster Manuals, B1s fully annotated, homebrew modules with hand-drawn covers, epic unpublished dungeon maps (my fave), dog-chewed dice, miniatures with melted heads, character sheets with pizza stains and tawdry random adventure logs.

The collection started as an "unsellable" box in my eBay days, when I would buy lots and sort them out.  Somehow it grew on me like a fungus and became the best part of the collection.  Go figure.   :lol:

"Real D&D as it is actually enjoyed," I love it :). That's really what it is becoming all about for me again, too, albeit more slowly. I occasionally glance at the handful of rares on my shelf and think it'd be nice to thumb through them, then realize I'd be losing money with every successive handling and don't do it.

It's not like I ever played OD&D, nor did I ever own or run the RPGA modules back in the day, and I'm sure as heck not going to put wear and tear on them now. Even my commons are bagged and boarded, which makes it a minor hassle to unpack and re-read them. Maybe it's time for me to get rid of the expensive stuff and return to the Stack O' Fun storage method from the early days for the rest. It's not like any of my stuff ever fell apart or became unusable from excessive handling without the bags.

Of course, I am also the guy who owns a dozen different hardcover editions of The Lord of the Rings, most of which I would never even consider cracking open let alone reading, and will likely never part with... But then again I have nearly as many paperback editions I can read. My point is that it's not like the woodgrain comes in a economical paperback version I can trash; okay, there're the new "retroclones", but it ain't the same thing.

Sorry, working through some collection neurosis issues I guess :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:06 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:It's a collection of "real D&D as it is actually enjoyed."  Colored Monster Manuals, B1s fully annotated, homebrew modules with hand-drawn covers, epic unpublished dungeon maps (my fave), dog-chewed dice, miniatures with melted heads, character sheets with pizza stains and tawdry random adventure logs.

Thanks a fantastic plan, I wish I could still lay my hands on my original character sheets of Ashmire (half-elf thief - weren't they all!) and a hardcore female fighter called Katrina (inspired by WD cover 79 - even had the miniature to match it!)  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:11 pm 

Great replies so far.  Thanks for sharing!

I tend to be a bit A-D-D about my collecting.  I have trouble focusing and jump around.

Here are my favorite past collecting habits:
-Micronauts (the Interchangeable World of the Micronauts - remember from the 1970's those robot toys - Baron Karza, etc)
-Mithril Miniatures (LOTR minis range)

Also catching my fancy (for nostalgic reasons):
-Microgames (O.G.R.E., Chitin, etc)
-Fantastic Four & X-Men old comics (I'm a Marvel guy)
-Arduin
-Frank Frazetta (would like to own some of his art)

Geo

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:34 pm 

I don't set out to do it this way, but some of my efforts are spent pruning items from my RPG collection, things that are mediocre or don't fit for one reason or another.

The cycle usually starts by obtaining a few great titles from a given publisher or game, then setting out to collect the rest. Once I finish I realize that some of it is less-than-great, or maybe the original great stuff gets obscured by a stack of the less-great.  

Another reason is aesthetic compatibility. My collection is concentrated on the amateur-art period of 1982 & before. Tends to clash with the polished, professional, & dead-boring style used thereafter.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 pm 

one of every paper based item published for fantasy role-playing (which i define as historically up thru pirate age, but including any time travel game since it could be set in the past) in the english language published from 1974- 2003 (i.e. the first 30 years of frp). this has been my goal since 1987 (of course the time frame kept expanding from 15 to 20 to 25 and now 30 years). heroic worlds had a large impact on my collecting and served as a template for many items that i wouldn't have known about otherwise (and some of which i still have not seen). originally i was only collecting official publications, but do to the influence of frank mentzer i started collecting manuscripts and tournaments and the like. i'm trying to get all non-fanzine magazines (no wild hunt, alarums & excursions) too. at the moment my collection totals about 7700 singles with about 500 items on my want lists (the majority from 1998-2003).

Next