Research - Gamma World 1E printing differences
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 pm 

1st edition Gamma World went through at least three printings, including Lizard logo, Wizard logo and Face logo versions. Were there any significant changes to the text and/or artwork in these printings?

Some relevant links:

Acaeum wiki (only has signficiant details for Lizard logo print):
http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Gamma_World

Tome of Treasures thread on Gamma World prints:
http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewto ... 44c28de92a

2006 Acaeum post:
viewtopic.php?p=65666&highlight=gamma+printings#65666
The Collector's Trove wrote:From memory: the 1978 1st print was reprinted with different logos through 1981 possibly as late as 1982. This version has the lurid Trampier artwork and goes from the lizard logo, to the wizard (Morley) logo, and finishes with the wizard face logo (the third printing). The printing is indicated at the bottom of the title page on the 2nd and 3rd printing.

Other than the logo and product listing inside the back cover, I don't know of any real differences in the earlier sets, other than the very first printing did not have a back cover printed on the box but it was a seperate sheet that fit under the shrinkwrap. The latter is often missing.

Edit: Revised title to include "Research" & to make thread subject more general.

Last edited by Zenopus on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:43 pm 

We should add "Research" to the head of the title of this thread.

I just received this:
viewtopic.php?p=146596&highlight=#146596

And here is a pictorial comparison of the three printings of the 1st edition Gamma World rulebooks:

1st print Product List

2nd print Product List

3rd print Product List

More to come later tonight... I will also skim over the printings for content as well and report tomorrow. I also took a lot of pictures of the 1st and 3rd boxes and will be posting them tonight maybe as well

Cheers!
D

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:25 pm 

Hey it would be great to add those the Acaeum Wiki. If you didn't want to do it yourself, you could email images/info to me and I will upload it. The Gamma World section is still in its infancy.

One of the purposes of the Wiki was to try to get knowledge and research info from the forums into accessible item pages.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:49 pm 

Hi everyone, was the 1E Gamma World rulebook & map ever sold in their own, or only in the box set?

Thanks in advance!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:03 am 

And maybe a general follow-up question,

It's pretty straightforward to see how Metamorphosis Alpha led into GW, but TSR was printing 2E Gamma World supplements and about to release 3E when it came out with Star Frontiers.

The games are a bit different (aimed at a different demographic I suppose), but definitely in a similar genre... by 3E Gamma World and SF seem to have converged.  Any thoughts what TSR was thinking?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Research - Gamma World 1E printing differences:And maybe a general follow-up question,

It's pretty straightforward to see how Metamorphosis Alpha led into GW, but TSR was printing 2E Gamma World supplements and about to release 3E when it came out with Star Frontiers.

The games are a bit different (aimed at a different demographic I suppose), but definitely in a similar genre... by 3E Gamma World and SF seem to have converged.  Any thoughts what TSR was thinking?

Any way to reach out to the authors to ask directly? I know we have a couple of former TSR people around here hiding in the shadows...  8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:03 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Research - Gamma World 1E printing differences:Hi everyone, was the 1E Gamma World rulebook & map ever sold in their own, or only in the box set?

Thanks in advance!

I only remember it being sold in the box set. I looked in a Dungeon Hobby Shop catalog and it showed the Gamma World game (3002) being sold for $10. The Basic D&D set was $12, so I'm pretty sure this price was for the box set (it didn't specify).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:01 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Research - Gamma World 1E printing differences:And maybe a general follow-up question,

Uhh, no. The first printing of Star Frontiers (aka Star Frontiers Alpha Dawn) was published in 1982. The first 2d Edition module, GW3 The Cleansing War of Garik Blackhand was published in August of 1983. Gamma World 2d Edition itself was published in March of 1983. Gamma World 3d Edition wasn't released until 1986.

Calling Star Frontiers and Gamma World similar genres is a major stretch. The games are very different, both in game mechanics and overall feel. Star Frontiers is space opera. Gamma World is post-apocalyptic. They're both subgenres of science fiction, but that's about all they have in common with each other. Gamma World 3d Edition shares more in common mechanically with Marvel Super Heroes than it does with Star Frontiers, as its mechanics were influenced by the Marvel game, especially its reliance on an action table to determine results. Star Frontiers was never revised - even in its magenta color cover version - to use those mechanics, but instead continued to rely on its percentile dice mechanics.

What TSR was thinking at the time is anyone's guess.