Digging out my collection from the attic...
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:31 pm 

So I haven't played in many years but recently I found a few boxes in the top of my mom's garage packed with all my old D&D stuff.  I've been a pack rat for many years hording away all kinds of crazy stuff.  My kids found out I had amazing spiderman 1-300 or so including amazing fantasy 15 and they went nuts...  So shhhh... don't tell anyone about my little stash of D&D items.

I think from your website the woodgrain is a 3rd+ printing.  I've got at least one 1st ed, 1st printing blackmoor as well as many of the other small books are as well.  

Anyways, here is what all I found in the first box.  It is all that I've managed to make it through so far.  I found many of the little books were in comic book bags but I'd like to store them and the modules in something more fitting.  So I'm seeking the experts here to help me with what to store all this stuff in.  

I've got three more boxes to go but I think this box had the oldest stuff in it.  I'm pretty sure I've got a bunch of red page 1st edition books along with a bunch of modules in one of these other boxes.  I'll make it through them next weekend.

I know all this is worthless without pics so I thought I'd throw in a few pics of what was in the first box.

-Grimtale
aka Mark in NC.

Image[/img]

Last edited by Grimtale on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:45 pm 

Grimtale wrote:So I haven't played in many years but recently I found a few boxes in the top of my mom's garage packed with all my old D&D stuff.  I've been a pack rat for many years hording away all kinds of crazy stuff.  My kids found out I had amazing spiderman 1-300 or so including amazing fantasy 15 and they went nuts...  So shhhh... don't tell anyone about my little stash of D&D items.

I think from your website the woodgrain is a 3rd+ printing.  I've got at least one 1st ed, 1st printing blackmoor as well as many of the other small books are as well.  

Anyways, here is what all I found in the first box.  It is all that I've managed to make it through so far.  I found many of the little books were in comic book bags but I'd like to store them and the modules in something more fitting.  So I'm seeking the experts here to help me with what to store all this stuff in.  

I've got three more boxes to go but I think this box had the oldest stuff in it.  I'm pretty sure I've got a bunch of red page 1st edition books along with a bunch of modules in one of these other boxes.  I'll make it through them next weekend.

I know all this is worthless without pics so I thought I'd throw in a few pics of what was in the first box.

-Grimtale
aka Mark in Mocksville NC.

Your Spiderman's are worth more (Hell, the Amazing Fantasy 15 is worth more, but I'd rather have the D&D stuff (Except to sell and buy more D&D stuff that is).

Pack Rats Rule!

(Seriously though, Insure this stuff right away).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:46 pm 

Nice..

whats the thing directly under the D1-2?

(edit: after a quick google and looking at the first site I found...$50k for a near mint Amazing fantasy #15.. is that right??)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:01 pm 

Cool stuff 8)

Be careful about people soliciting you "offers" for it :wink:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 pm 

Oh to own an attic full of role-playing antiquity!

Beautiful woodie! (and I didn't say that with my left wrist flopped and other hand inverted on my hip)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:32 pm 

Very nice load of stuff :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:45 pm 

Oh... I hope he or the kids collect NC pottery, lol.  We could really hook each other up!  lol.  Or cast iron....

What a nice collection.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:02 pm 

Thanks for all the kind words and comments.  

Few things....
Someone asked about the white book.  Not really sure what it is other than it says RD1 Tales of the Ruby Dragon by Alan Patterson.  It says AD&D 2nd Edition forgotten Realms on it and not TSR approved - YET.

I am enclosing a pic of it.  Thought I'd throw in a pic of the spideys since everyone seems to like them too.  I wish my woodgrain was in as good of shape as they are :-)

Not looking to sell anything, just mainly some help cataloging what I do have and finding the best way to store this stuff so my kids can be rich one day :-)  Knowing them, they'll fight over it all and it will end up in some estate auction... the horror...

Thanks
-Grimtale

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 pm 

ah.. I though that might have been it.. as far as I know its only the second copy seen...

Any idea were you picked it up from?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:29 pm 

Not looking to sell anything, just mainly some help cataloging what I do have and finding the best way to store this stuff so my kids can be rich one day   Knowing them, they'll fight over it all and it will end up in some estate auction... the horror...

If you sell the stuff and have a wonderful time with the money your kids will have nothing to "fight over" and you'll have saved them much grief :twisted:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 pm 

Hmmm...  you have my interest up... tell me more about the little white book.  
I have no idea where I got it.  Other than I spent most of the late 70's, 80's and 90's scouring the east coast for yard sales, flea markets, comic book and collector stores.  I used to collect everything that had interest to me.  This was pre-children when all my money and time turned elsewhere.  Collecting pre-ebay was a whole different ball game...  

My buddy might remember where I got it, I'll ask him tomorrow.  
-Grimtale

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:39 pm 

Grimtale wrote:Thanks for all the kind words and comments.  

Few things....
Someone asked about the white book.  Not really sure what it is other than it says RD1 Tales of the Ruby Dragon by Alan Patterson.  It says AD&D 2nd Edition forgotten Realms on it and not TSR approved - YET.

I am enclosing a pic of it.  Thought I'd throw in a pic of the spideys since everyone seems to like them too.  I wish my woodgrain was in as good of shape as they are :-)

Not looking to sell anything, just mainly some help cataloging what I do have and finding the best way to store this stuff so my kids can be rich one day :-)  Knowing them, they'll fight over it all and it will end up in some estate auction... the horror...

Thanks
-Grimtale

Well, the Spidys right now (depending on condition) are in the several thousand dollar range (condition means everything). These could be 10s of thousands of dollars. I've seen where a very high grade Amazing Fantasy 15 is listed for $65,000 all by itself.  That may be a pie in the sky kind of price but it gives you some idea of how careful to be with those comics.

I wouldn't, for example, take them to a local comic book dealer. All kinds of underhanded things can then ensue. I would also not hand it off to anyone for grading purposes. Keep it in plastic, keep it from absolutely any kind of damage, and search for a safe a reputable way to have it graded.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=2074&highlight=ruby+dragon

RD1 Tale of the Ruby Dragon by N. Alan Patterson
An AD&D 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Scenario for 4-6 characters levels 1-5.
Your basic recover important magical items from a Dragon's hoard within a dungeon type adventure. Its flexible enough not to have to be ties to Forgotten Realms, comes with pregenerated characters should you wish to use them (I like this idea, 'cos it gives you an idea of what level, and how well equipped, your party should be), and it appears to be competently written (Dungeon Magazine competent I'd say). There is an indication of 'future parts' (presumably RD2, RD3) but I don't think we'll ever see them.
In fact I'd be surprised if we ever see another one of these, either.

Old post.... but thats about all that is known... from almost 4 years ago..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 am 

Awesome batch of books, Grim!  Wish I had stuff that nice in my attic.   8O  

JasonZavoda wrote:I wouldn't, for example, take them to a local comic book dealer. All kinds of underhanded things can then ensue. I would also not hand it off to anyone for grading purposes. Keep it in plastic, keep it from absolutely any kind of damage, and search for a safe a reputable way to have it graded.

Depends on who your local dealer is.  There are many reputable dealers who specialize in high grade gold and silver age comics that could offer you a wealth of useful information and advice on how to best take care of your collection.  It's been my experience that most comic dealers are as honest as the next guy.  Most comic dealers also don't have much expertise in high end books like those.  So if you decide you'd like some expert help by all means be picky but don't be paranoid.  :D

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:46 am 

blackdougal wrote:Awesome batch of books, Grim!  Wish I had stuff that nice in my attic.   8O  

Depends on who your local dealer is.  There are many reputable dealers who specialize in high grade gold and silver age comics that could offer you a wealth of useful information and advice on how to best take care of your collection.  It's been my experience that most comic dealers are as honest as the next guy.  Most comic dealers also don't have much expertise in high end books like those.  So if you decide you'd like some expert help by all means be picky but don't be paranoid.  :D

This is BAD, BAD, advice.

Most comic dealers are not trustworthy. Honestly, I spent 15 years dealing with comics, comics dealers and collectors.

Even reputable auction houses have proven to be disreputable, comic dealers are far down the food chain.

A collection of early Spidys, including the origin issue, hopefully in decent condition simply does not pop out of the woodwork very often anymore.

Hell drug dealers are using comics as a way to launder money.

These are incredibly collectable and expensive items. Be very careful with them. This isn't paranoia, this is experience in the trade and the best advice that experience can offer.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:17 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:This is BAD, BAD, advice.

Most comic dealers are not trustworthy. Honestly, I spent 15 years dealing with comics, comics dealers and collectors.

I'm offering sound advice as someone who's worked professionally in comics for 15 years now.  Jason, I'm sorry that you've had the misfortune to be associated with dishonest dealers.  I've known a few myself.  I stand by my statement that there are vastly more honest dealers out there, it's just a matter of finding one who knows silver age.

But anyway, maybe not even relevant.  Depends entirely on what Grimtale plans on doing with them.  Regardless, keep 'em bagged and boarded and out of the attic!  :D

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am 

blackdougal wrote:
I'm offering sound advice as someone who's worked professionally in comics for 15 years now.  Jason, I'm sorry that you've had the misfortune to be associated with dishonest dealers.  I've known a few myself.  I stand by my statement that there are vastly more honest dealers out there, it's just a matter of finding one who knows silver age.

But anyway, maybe not even relevant.  Depends entirely on what Grimtale plans on doing with them.  Regardless, keep 'em bagged and boarded and out of the attic!  :D

The vast majority of comic dealers will lie and look a person in the eye whiile they rip off anyone who walks in their doors, calls their number, contacts them through websites or yellow pages, or is foolish enough to entrust even moderately valuable items into their care. What a comic dealer would do to get their hands on some of the most valuable silver age and easily sellable items in the entire comic collecting field is as easily imaginable.

Seriously, these are valuable items. Don't trust a comic dealer with them, especially if you are putting them away for the future.

These are literally the kind of items you put away in a bank deposit box with instructions on their potential value with your Mantle rookie cards and gold coins.

Certainly check into price guides and suggestions on how to preserve and insure a collection, but don't go blurting out to people you have them. Yes I want to go around and tell people on the internet and local comic dealers I don't know that I may have thousands of dollars of untraceable collectables sitting around my house.

These things are worth a hell of a lot of money, be a little paranoid at least.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:16 am 

I know some guys in the L.A. area who own comic shops. I think Jason gives sound advice...

As far as I know, they don't really make any $$$. It's a break even sort of operation (rent in Southern Cali is prohibitive) but then, every so often, some schmoe walks into the store with an old collection of baseball cards/comics or whatever and that's where they make some $$$ if they ever really make any at all.

You can have those books graded but even then you hear stuff about the graders (along the lines of them giving better grades to good customers/dealers). It's a really shady market overall imo.

Next