Erol Otus Commissioned Work by the Acaeum
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 7312, 3 ... 717273
Poll: What kind of artwork would you have Erol Otus Commission for the Acaeum?

I have no interest in any Erol Otus artwork. 9%       9%  [ 11 ]
I prefer a color, 11x17 print. 15%       15%  [ 18 ]
I prefer a black & white 11x17 print. 5%       5%  [ 6 ]
I prefter a color, 17x24 print. 59%       59%  [ 69 ]
I prefer a black & white 17x24 print. 6%       6%  [ 7 ]
I prefer something else larger. 5%       5%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 117

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:29 pm 

I wonder if The Acaeum as a group would be interested in a commissioned work by the artist Erol Otus?  If, by some chance, there were 20 or more of us willing to shell out say $50.00 for an 17x24 limited edition print, I think Mr. Otus would take more interest in that offer than one person requesting an individual piece of work at $250.00.  Each print could be individually numbered and signed.

Is there any kind of consensus on what the artwork should be?  If it were up to me, I'd choose a horizontal print of a party of four characters (dwarf fighter, human cleric, elven thief and human magic-user) fighting a red dragon in a cave.  Something like what is found on the cover of DCC #6, #11 or #30.  Even the D&D Basic box cover is close to what I'd like.  I'd prefer it be in color than just black & white.

So, let's first determine the parameters of the size, medium and content of this commission before we determine how many takers we actually have.  Realize, the bigger this thing gets, the more money it might cost.  I'd also like options on whether we invite other forum members to participate(like DF).  The more takers, the better chance we have for success and the lower the individual cost might be.  DO NOT send me any money!  I don't even know if this might work. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:02 pm 

I'd definitely be in to something like that.  I'd prefer colour over b&w and 17 X 24 sounds good too.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:20 pm 

Excellent idea... Color 17x24 :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:28 pm 

I would be interested !
I have voted color 17*24, but I have just checked what it means in metric system (*no comment about that*), and finally I think 17*11 is nice (43cm * 28cm). If you want to frame it, 17*24 is too large (AMHA), but the idea is great !

:D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 pm 

ditto  :D

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:00 pm 

I see your ditto and quadruple it
:D  :D  :D  :D
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Color 17x24, or even 17x11 is fine with me, even the B&W's.  I'm not picky.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:21 pm 

Who voted "no interest"?  What are you, the anti-Otus?   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 pm 

Count this infrequent poster in for color print!

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:55 pm 

Great idea, Chris.

I'd definitely go for an 16"x20" piece, since that's a standard-sized picture frame (in the US at least):  11"x17" is too small IMO, and not as readily-frameable (custom frames would cost a significant amount).  If we're looking at a custom frame job, 'd truthfully perfer something the comparable to size of Robert Gould's "Magician" (Elric from SFBC) piece:  http://www.chimerapublishing.com/script ... ?poid=1007 (which is 15.75"x27.5" unmatted).  

If Erol's not already in touch with a prints publisher/printer, a friend of mine owns/runs http://www.chimerapublishing.com/ (they used to attend GenCon regularly, but started to bail in the late '90s as booth prices went through the roof), and would likely at least be able to make suggestions for printers if Erol's not interested in working with Norm.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:14 pm 

grodog wrote:Great idea, Chris.

I'd definitely go for an 16"x20" piece, since that's a standard-sized picture frame (in the US at least):  11"x17" is too small IMO, and not as readily-frameable (custom frames would cost a significant amount).  If we're looking at a custom frame job, 'd truthfully perfer something the comparable to size of Robert Gould's "Magician" (Elric from SFBC) piece:  http://www.chimerapublishing.com/script ... ?poid=1007 (which is 15.75"x27.5" unmatted).  

If Erol's not already in touch with a prints publisher/printer, a friend of mine owns/runs http://www.chimerapublishing.com/ (they used to attend GenCon regularly, but started to bail in the late '90s as booth prices went through the roof), and would likely at least be able to make suggestions for printers if Erol's not interested in working with Norm.

Yeah, I mis-stated the redi-made size which is 18x24 and not 17x24. Sorry about that. I agree that going with an establish art size will make getting a frame much easier and cheaper.   IF we decide to pursue this, and actually get a message in to Erol, he may have a printer he prefers to work with, but giving him options is always good. 8)

We'll see if interest waxes or wanes over the next couple of days.  Since I have received no comment on the art content, perhaps my suggestion is not far off the mark.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:32 pm 

bombadil wrote:Who voted "no interest"?  What are you, the anti-Otus?   :D

I am indifferent to his artwork (And I am the 2nd voter of said category)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 pm 

Good idea, I'd be in.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:41 pm 

I think it's a great idea... a limited run of 20 @ $50 each, I'd definately be in and I doubt you'd have any trouble finding the other 19.

How would you decide on the composition? Would you run a committee, have people submit ideas and vote, leave it to Erol?

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:15 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I think it's a great idea... a limited run of 20 @ $50 each, I'd definately be in and I doubt you'd have any trouble finding the other 19.

How would you decide on the composition? Would you run a committee, have people submit ideas and vote, leave it to Erol?

Regards

Mike

I think once we have at least twenty people say they are interested in any particular poll choice (over halfway there), then we produce parameters that at least twenty people will agree to.  Notice I did  not say that everyone agrees to(which means I might get left out).  The parameters would include the size, whether it's color or b&W and a concept like what I described in my first post.  Other parameters could include whether each was signed and numbered, framed or unframed, etc...  We could also make conditions or suggestions about which printer we'd want/like.  The fewer the parameters, the more likely he'll do it.  The more people we get to go in, the more likely he'll do it.

This is a democracy, if anyone doesn't like that method, I am open to other methods.  This just appeared to be a good idea overall to me. 8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:27 pm 

Ironically, I suggested this very thing many, many years ago (right before Goodman Games began using other TSR vets besides Erol Otus) as a method of putting money in the hands of older artists (limited quantity art sketches) but there wasn't a lot of interest.  Great minds do think alike though!!! Maybe I was just ahead of my time and now is a better juncture for a project like this; definitely there are some people out there much better equipped to handle the coordination of something like this.

I think way back when someone pointed to the fact that Otus is not computer savvy and does virtually nothing online, and is somewhat reclusive (not in a bad way, just that he doesn't have a lot of contact outside his Goodman Games contacts and a few trusted others). I think anything of this sort would have to go through intermediaries to see if there is any interest.  My suggestion way back when was for someone to coordinate a portfolio of Otus, Roslof, Dee and Holloway, perhaps 2-3 sketches each, have them in signed and numbered editions, and let the money roll in.  The logistics of something like this might be daunting, though, unless it was through someone like Goodman Games.  Anyway, Otus only is fine by me and I would be in.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:02 pm 

In case it comes down to the first 20 - I call dibs now :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:15 pm 

If it can stay in the $50-$75 range then I'm in.  :D

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:18 pm 

gyg wrote:In case it comes down to the first 20 - I call dibs now :D

In my opinion, the more, the merrier.  The more money we offer, the better our chances.  I am just imagining that unless the beginning offer is less than $1000.00, he'll just say, "Thanks, but no thanks."  I know a few small time artists who start at $500.00 for little stuff.

And I know I am getting way ahead of myself here, but if this goes well, we could try other artists like Roslof, Dee and Holloway.  Or heck, even if this doesn't go well, we could try Roslof, Dee and/or Holloway next. :?

Next
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 7312, 3 ... 717273