I have a strange feeling about Gail Gygax
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:35 pm 

I was perusing the net and happened to stumble in the Troll Lord Games blog and then I looked for Gygax Games. I was very surprised and a bit annoyed by the abrupt termination of the agreement with TLG and then I noticed this bio on the Gygax Games website:

http://www.gygax-games.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=55

I have read a lot of interviews with Gary Gygax (God Bless Him) and I did one myself that is my proudest accomplishment in my game journalism career, but I never noticed any mention or simple hint (besides Gail being a confidant, of course) of any role of hers whatsoever in Gary's many creations and enterprises. Am I just a suspicious fellow in thinking Gail Gygax dumped the Trolls simply for more money (not that is bad per se, simply it could be more polite...) and now wishes to 'polish' her image and so strenghten her legitimacy in handling Gary's estate?

I have serious doubts that Gary's plans involved dumping the Trolls and choosing Mongoose: after all, why so late? AFTER his passing? He already had contacts with them after publishing the Slayer's Guyide to Dragons with Mongoose  :roll:

Hm...  :?  Sorry for the mood, but March is very close and I'm still missing Gary  :cry:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:34 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:I never noticed any mention or simple hint (besides Gail being a confidant, of course) of any role of hers whatsoever in Gary's many creations and enterprises.

My understanding is that Gail was the third "G" in Trigee, now doing business as Gygax Games.  She has had some involvement in the business side of the company for some time, but I don't know to what extent.

The decision to go to Mongoose (more accurately to go away from TLG and Hekaforge) is a puzzling one for many people.  I don't know Gail's motives, but I can't imagine money is key. because they've essentially wasted well over a year by scrapping close-to-press projects.  They have no readily apparent revenue for the last 8 months at all.  

It looks like that trend will continue for a while.  The new LA books are scheduled to appear in June, I don't know what other projects they are working on that are near completion.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm 

I don't mean to poo poo on Hekaforge or TLG but I thought I read (here or there) that Gary wasn't completely happy with TLG.  I forget if this was in regard to deadlines or production though.  I'm not sure if Gary had similar issues with Hekaforge.  Both are small companies that each have their own issues.  I've been waiting for Castle Wolfmoon from Hekaforge for 5 years now (maybe longer?) so deadlines and getting things out are ... well ... typical of a small press company.  I'm probably also not the only one who was frustrated in trying to buy from TLG and was disappointed by the production value of Castle Zagyg.

TBH, I think moving these things under one roof is a good plan to do things right.  Also, publishing through Mongoose will raise the production quality and probably increase their exposure.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm 

Mars wrote:TBH, I think moving these things under one roof is a good plan to do things right.  Also, publishing through Mongoose will raise the production quality and probably increase their exposure.

I read on Mongoose's website that printing was moved out-of-house in 2008, and quality has improved.  So . . . no more Mongoose books that fall apart upon opening.

Mongoose appears to have better penetration in Texas and Oklahoma than Hekaforge and Troll Lords.  But unless something big happens (something for Free RPG Day or larger), I think LA will get lost in the noise and static.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:16 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Mongoose appears to have better penetration in Texas and Oklahoma than Hekaforge and Troll Lords.

Out of about a dozen game stores I have been to in the last while in Ontario only 1 has carried the Castles & Crusades items from TLG and I can't recall any having the Hekaforge items but all of them have various Mongoose books.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 pm 

I know Gary was frustrated by their slowness to get product out - to what extent, I guess only Gary and Gail would know that fully.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 pm 

Mars wrote:
Out of about a dozen game stores I have been to in the last while in Ontario only 1 has carried the Castles & Crusades items from TLG and I can't recall any having the Hekaforge items but all of them have various Mongoose books.

I've always thought TLG should have better penetration in Texas (or at least the DFW area) considering Little Rock is only a few hours away.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:22 pm 

The Trolls have perpetually had issues with distributors. Mongoose has made, and paid for it, the access that the distribution chains that TLG could dream of -- they're even in the book trade, so finding them inside book stores such as Barnes and Noble or Borders is not impossible. This, naturally, makes them an attractive resource for future products as the available market is somewhat larger -- it is not a slight against the Trolls, but a smart business move. Had the Trolls had the level of "general gamer knowledge" (unfortunately there are many people who don't even know TLG exists...) that Mongoose has, then things might be different... I wouldn't consider whatever Gygax Games is doing to be anything personal against Steve or the Trolls -- they want to succeed and are using all available means to do it. That's what business does.

I'd suggest waiting for the announcements to see what's happening. I do wish there were more of them.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:06 am 

serleran wrote:I'd suggest waiting for the announcements to see what's happening. I do wish there were more of them.

Ding.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 am 

I understand, but I was a bit more worried about the credits that mrs. Gygax is claiming about Gary's creative and business endeavours than leaving the Trolls.  :roll:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:16 pm 

Honestly, I don't give that much consideration. Its entirely possible. How it affects me, the gamer, I don't know, or care -- what matters is whether the products exist, and continue to be produced, not whether Gail did X and Y.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:32 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:I understand, but I was a bit more worried about the credits that mrs. Gygax is claiming about Gary's creative and business endeavours than leaving the Trolls.  :roll:

This is probably a tough thing to really determine since Gary was always the one in the spotlight and Gail in the background.  Although, a few years back when I lent out a module for Gary to DM at a local con in Toronto, Gary ended up taking the module home because no one at the con seemed to know what to do with it.  Gary was happy to sign it but it was Gail who ended up taking care of the shipping it back to me.  My limited impression is that Gail took care of a lot more behind the scenes things than most people realize.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:49 am 

It seems in the last few days that Gail has surfaced on the Gygax Games forums under the username "grail maiden", so you might send any questions/comments/concerns to her directly. ;)

http://www.gygax-games.com/Forums/

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:40 pm 

Hm... it would have no purpose. What could I say? "Why are you claiming credit to Gary's creative and business endeavours while he never mentioned you besides being a secretary and a wife?".  :P

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:07 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:Hm... it would have no purpose. What could I say? "Why are you claiming credit to Gary's creative and business endeavours while he never mentioned you besides being a secretary and a wife?".  :P

I don't know Gary and I don't know Gail, but I know from personal experience that there are many things I get credit for but know my wife deserves credit if only by caring for me.  It may be just me, but I'd let her have all the credit she wants.  Once she dies, then whoever is left can write whatever history they want.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:50 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:It seems in the last few days that Gail has surfaced on the Gygax Games forums under the username "grail maiden", so you might send any questions/comments/concerns to her directly. ;)

http://www.gygax-games.com/Forums/

Asking her directly makes more sense than asking us.  Those who know don't speak; those who speak don't know.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:56 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Those who know don't speak; those who speak don't know.  :)

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:25 pm 

[quote="bombadil"][/quote]

YIM  
Next