AD&D Collector/Trading Cards
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:10 pm 

I know these are post-1989, 2nd Edition items--not the usual fare for these environs--but I'm hoping that someone here nonetheless can point me in the direction of fellow collectors.  eBay is of only limited usefulness, as singles are rarely sold (why would they be, considering the low value?), and buying unopened packs rarely produces good results.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thank you!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:40 pm 

There are a bunch of card sets.  There are collector card boxed sets for 1991, 1992, and 1993 as well as a number of card sheets that were inserts in Dragon or Dungeon magazine.  Most of these sell really cheap.

I'm not sure if there is a difference from the individual packs that you would buy/trade to build a set compared with the boxed sets though.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:49 pm 

Mars wrote:There are a bunch of card sets.  There are collector card boxed sets for 1991, 1992, and 1993 as well as a number of card sheets that were inserts in Dragon or Dungeon magazine.  Most of these sell really cheap.

Yes, I know.  I own most of them.   :D   But I was hoping to locate other collectors.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:49 pm 

I'm still trying to get the boxes. Missing three cards from the 92 set.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:48 pm 

Lance Hawvermale wrote:Yes, I know.  I own most of them.   :D   But I was hoping to locate other collectors.

I looked up a couple of websites that trade cards (ones I have used for Spellfire and Blood Wars cards) but none of them trade these ones.

I do still want to know if there is a difference between the cards you would buy in packs versus the boxed set ones though.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:17 pm 

I've never heard of any sites devoted to those cards. The closest I was able to come was the House of Checklists, a great site that I've used before for research:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... /add91.htm

Maybe you could email the site administrator; he might be able to hook you up with like-minded collectors.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:31 pm 

Mars wrote:
I do still want to know if there is a difference between the cards you would buy in packs versus the boxed set ones though.

Hey Mars. Only in the 1993 set is there a difference between the pack opened cards and the box sets. The pack opened cards, some were ruby bordered instead of gold bordered. So, it's possible to assemble the same set, with ruby borders instead. I know because I own both years' boxed sets, and have opened packs from both sets as well.

There are also foil cards in the 1993 set as well. I'd like to keep buying boxes of the 1993 packs, to assemble a ruby bordered set, but people still think they are worth money, and I can't get boxes for less than like...$40 after shipping, and screw that lol. Anyway, good luck. :)

Zen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:06 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I've never heard of any sites devoted to those cards. The closest I was able to come was the House of Checklists, a great site that I've used before for research:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... /add91.htm

Maybe you could email the site administrator; he might be able to hook you up with like-minded collectors.

Thanks!  Will do!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:45 pm 

Actually, the boxed set cards for 1991 and 1992 have SILVER borders, whereas the cards from the packs have GOLD borders.  How do I know?  It took me over three years and quite a bit of money to compile a complete set of 1991's and 1992's, including all the promo cards that were given out at various places.  Oi, headaches!

I called it quits when I saw what TSR was doing with the 1993 cardsets.  There was only one ruby border card per pack, and at that rate it was going to run over $1000 just to have a chance at getting a complete run of red-bordered cards.  Feh!  TSR did the same thing with the Spellfire game cards by upping the ante via power level of cards - you had to keep buying the new expansion sets to stay competitive.  That's when I finally turned my back on any so-called collectible game.

John
Gaming Curmudgeon

John Justice
Field Testing Engineer
ACME - Weapons Division
"ACME, the Name You Can Trust!"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:27 pm 

I have all three boxed sets. Picked them from a mail order comic catalog long time ago for cheap. I´m using quite a few of them as a source for quick NPCs, esp the Ravenloft ones.

But i think there are some cards which are not included in those sets. I distinctly remember a gold rimmed Soth card and a holo-pic (? how do you call those?) vampire card.

There are three sets: 1991, 1992, 1993. Here´s a list of the cards: www.fraternityofshadows.com/Mausoleum/TSRCards.xls
(compiled by the fraternity´s Catman Jim)

The hitpointe has the first two factory sets for $10: http://www.hitpointe.com/tsr/2eacc.htm

The dragonstrove has the same ones, only a bit more expensive, and with pictures of the boxes: http://www.dragonstrove.com/catalog/adv ... 28&x=0&y=0

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:41 pm 

I got the 91 and 92 factory sets and would like to get a hold of the 93 box... if anyone knows a reliable source who can send it out to bloody Brasil, let me know fren'... :)

Back in the days we had the booster packs on sale down here, but I don't know of one single soul who had ever bought it besides me, so I can't trade the cards... this sucks bad.

And even then, we only had the 93 cards. Thank god and Noble Knight I could find the factory sets I got here a few days ago... :D

edit: added last paragraph

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:26 am 

http://www.rickstradingcards.com/  --> -> AD&D/TSR --> Series 1993

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:21 am 

frankfromgermany wrote:http://www.rickstradingcards.com/  --> -> AD&D/TSR --> Series 1993

Very unlikely to send stuff my way, but I'll try and talk to Rick. Thanks for the pointer...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:50 am 

If I were you I'd try ebay for the 93 factory set.  Set up a saved search to email you when one pops up, it shouldn't be that expensive...

So anybody got more info about cards that weren't in the factory set? Rick's trading cards takls about Ruby border cards,  a Gold Border Common Set and a 60-Card Chase Set. What are they?

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 am 

I think this was discussed here before.

As far as I know, the 93 series was organized like this:

Series 1: cards ranging from from 1 to 165 (of 495).
Series 2: cards ranging from from 166 to 330 (of 495).
Series 3: cards ranging from from 331 to 495 (of 495).
"Chase" cards: exceptionally rare cards from a different list, numbered 1 to 60 (of 60). Some of these had a colored back, some were printed with special silvery ink in front, and so on. They were special.

Booster packs: divided by series (1, 2 or 3), these came with a few (8 or 10 I think) random cards each, much like any other collectible card pack. All cards had golden borders except for one card per pack, which was ruby-bordered. Rarely, a booster pack would come with a "chase card" (I think I have 3 after quite some time buying the packs.) Cards were numbered 1 to 495 if from the regular list or 1 to 60 if from the "chase cards" list.

Factory set: came with all 495 cards of the regular list. All cards silver-bordered.

So theoretically you could assemble four collections from the 1993 series: 1 to 495 golden-bordered cards, 1 to 495 ruby-bordered cards, 1 to 495 silver-bordered cards and 1 to 60 special cards. It is however arguably nearly impossible to finish the ruby collection, you'd have to buy over 500 booster packs and then hope to trade a lot of them!

Now want to hear what's funny? I collected these cards for some time (they were rare down here in Brasil, but I tried) and never really paid attention to differences like golden and ruby borders, to me they were all the same... only thing that intrigued me were the 1 to 60 numbered cards, but then I had no one to talk about it here.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:40 pm 

I don't care much about the color of the border, but those 60 cards they are interesting. Is there a list of them somewhere?

Also where there chase cards for the 92 and 91 sets too?

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:53 pm 

In the Links section of The Acaeum there's a link to a site that has lists of all collectible cards ever, look up there.

Chase cards exist only in the 93 series I think.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:23 am 

Hello, Just registered when a search engine brought me to this thread. I have been collecting these cards for some time and have a massive amount of duplicates for all three years. I have a complete gold bordered set of the '92 and '93 cards and only missing 8 or 9 cards from the '91 set and a few rubies from '93. Would love to complete my '91 set and I'm sure I could assist others as well. Let me know if there's an interest in trading.

Next