TSR Gold and other promo items
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:18 pm 

Anyone have scans of the TSR Gold items they could submit to the Acaeum?  

Does anyone know anything about these two Greyhawk promo items:

• "Memoirs of Didros Eightfingers" (given away in conjunction with Return to the Tomb of Horros)
  • Greyhawk Heraldry cards (given away with copies of Greyhawk: the Adventure Begins

What other promo items are known to exist?  Not stuff like TSR specials only available to employees, but genuine retailer/public freebies?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:42 pm 

"The Memoirs of Didros Eightfingers" was a section of this single page promo, Catacomb of the Necromancers:

This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued

The Greyhawk Heraldry cards sound familiar, but I don't recall ever actually seeing them.

The only other one of these that springs to mind is Secret Password, a Forgotten Realms single sheet promo.  I'm not sure which product this was released in conjunction with.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:40 am 

I didn't recognize Memoirs of Didros Eightfingers until blackdougal pointed out it comes from Catacombs of the Necromancers.  I have a copy of that sheet which I bought off ebay three years ago.  The front page is just as the web link above displays.

On the back at the top is a blurb which is repeated in the link above at the bottom, "A few coppers..."

The rest of the back is writing in Didros' own hand, noting how he came to be in that hall, as well as a key for each of the numbered doors on the front, with a sentence of description for each.

At the bottom is the TSR logo, trademark(1998), website and customer service number, with "For use with the Return to the Tomb of Horrors Adventure"

I learned about this because when I bought Return to the Tomb of Horrors, I read through it and found almost half a page explaining how to use the sheet at that stage in the adventure, and it mentioned that the sheet had been released at certain stores.  Tracking it on the web brought me to the weblink above and let me know what to look for.

This benfrow is pretty thorough in cataloguing releases, so if he does not have the Greyhawk Heraldry cards there, then they might not have been released.  

Now since RttToH explicitly referred to the promo sheet, does the Greyhawk module the Adventure Begins have an explicit reference?  Whether it does or not is probably the best indication of whether those cards were produced or not.

As for TSR Gold items, I have seen the Forgotten Realms map and the Ravenloft map, and I believe the Kargatane website at one time had a scan of the Ravenloft TSR Gold map.  I can't remember if there were any others.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:54 pm 

I've only heard about the Heraldry cards, and so far as I recall there are no internal references to them in tAB.  

Thanks for the info guys, 'tis most appreciated, as always :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:13 pm 

Here is a list of all the TSR Gold Promotion items that i can think of off the top of my head.  I have all of these if anyone is looking for them.

DragonLance - Bookmark
Marvel Super Heroes - Extra Play Cards
Ravenloft - Map and campaign and product rundown
Forgotten Realms - Map and campaign and product rundown
Forgotten Realms - Secret Password parchment
Plane Scape - Faction Stickers
Greyhawk - Experience Point Cards
Greyhawk - Extra map to the Tomb of Horrors
Alternity - Poster

Hope that helps,

rhea..

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:39 pm 

Is that the Forgotten Realms Conspectus or something different?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:17 am 

Is that the Forgotten Realms Conspectus or something different?

Something different.  I have a factory sealed packed of about 20 or else i'd tell you more about it.  If someone buys a single instead of the pack, then i'll rip it open and get some more info on it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:29 pm 

Rhea---

So nothing about heraldry cards for The Adventure Begins, eh?  I wonder if this one's more myth than reality??

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:21 pm 

Rhea, is this the FR promo you're talking about?

And the Ravenloft equivalent:

Neither one contains any particularly interesting information, just general overviews of the campaign settings on one side and a map on the other side.

There are a couple other promos I thought of that may or may not have been from the TSR Gold line... if anybody knows more about these, please post.

Obviously a big promo item, but I gotta tell you, I don't ever remember seeing these actually in stores.

There's also an Alternity Dark Matter Evidence Pack (sorry, haven't scanned it yet) that was basically an envelope with four 6 x 9 cards.  Each card had a picture on the front and a pseudo-"top secret" document on the back.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:03 am 

From what i can tell, the Heraldry cards are the Experience Point cards.  I could be mistaken though.

And yes, the FR and the RL links are indeed what i'm talking about.

I did forget about the Dark Matter Evidence Pack.  That and the Plane Scape faction stickers were the last of the Gold Promotion items.

That TrivaThon thing was not part of the Gold promotion.  It was just a contest.  You could get those in stores as well as in Dragon magazines.

rhea..

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:46 pm 

Thread necro. I just dug these out and believe they are whats referenced above.

Mike

*well that pic didnt last long

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.