Selling a collection - request for information
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:41 pm 

Hi!

New to this page, but some of you may recognize me from ebay, bartertown, or The Miniatures Page.  I looked quickly at your price estimates for various items and was wondering if I was liquidating a collection, is it better to do so in a chunk, or piecemeal?  There may be intrinsic value to a string of items (Issues 1-37 of The Dragon), but are there collectors willing to pay a fair price for it.  Selling it piecemeal will likely guarantee that the most rare ones will go as will the onesie twosies that some collector might need to fill in holes in their collection, but leaving me with an odd lot of non-consecutive mags that are of no use to me and of less value when taken away from the whole collection.

Open to any and all comments / suggestions this group might have.

Cheers,

John

JJ Parus

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:05 pm 

terrement wrote:Hi!

New to this page, but some of you may recognize me from ebay, bartertown, or The Miniatures Page.  I looked quickly at your price estimates for various items and was wondering if I was liquidating a collection, is it better to do so in a chunk, or piecemeal?  There may be intrinsic value to a string of items (Issues 1-37 of The Dragon), but are there collectors willing to pay a fair price for it.  Selling it piecemeal will likely guarantee that the most rare ones will go as will the onesie twosies that some collector might need to fill in holes in their collection, but leaving me with an odd lot of non-consecutive mags that are of no use to me and of less value when taken away from the whole collection.

Open to any and all comments / suggestions this group might have.

Cheers,

John

Definitely piecemeal.

I would recomend auctioning as many as you can, maybe giving items 2-3 shots, then what is left either put in an Ebay store or divide into lots.  But you'll get far, far more for, say, Dragon 1-37 separately than as one lot.  I guarantee that if you start them all out with, say, $1 starting bid you'll sell almost everything you have. Feel free to PM me if you want any further into....good luck!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:25 pm 

Badmike's advice is excellent as always.  However, you may want to sell them piecemeal in groups of 40 to 50 items, if for no other reason than to not work yourself to death one weekend.  

Also, many people sell their D&D stuff on Sunday night, but I personally prefer Saturday night so I can pack everything up on Sunday and consolidate my drive to the Post Office with lots of packages in tow.

Start saving up boxes to ship everything.  It's the best way to insure items arrive safe and in their current condition.  Condition is a huge factor in determining these item's value.

Sell in January and February.  The coldest months are the best months to sell statistically on eBay.  The colder the weather, the better for you.

Make sure you have different/higher shipping rates for overseas buyers.  Although it's a lot more expensive to ship overseas, the dollar is so weak, they'll be significant bidders for your items.  Go to www.usps.gov to check the rates, but you'll need a scale.  If you don't have a scale, it's well worth the investment.  And when you consider weight, make sure you are factoring in the package's weight too.

Most important, look at recent threads that discuss problem buyers and block them.  In particular, block Cougarrinard.  Big trouble.

There's probably something important I forgot, but this crew will help you with anything you need to know.  I hope your auctions go well.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:39 pm 

I would mind buying the chunk of dragons... but I suppose its all depends on how fast you want to sell things too..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 pm 

Badmike wrote:But you'll get far, far more for, say, Dragon 1-37 separately than as one lot.

yes good number range to have + list each one itself that will have people bidding well for combined shipping. 20c listing fee for 99c start for each is well spent

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:21 pm 

reasons to split dragons. may have sold $150 for 10 if listed together got $296.17 same buyer for 8
** expired/removed eBay auction **
       US $31.01         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 20 -- Nov. 1978         gygaxian( 152)
        US $31.01         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 21 -- Dec. 1978         gygaxian( 152)
       US $26.51         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 22 -- Feb. 1979         gygaxian( 152)
        US $26.51         TSR D&D AD&D - DRAGON MAGAZINE # 23 -- W/ MAILING COVER         heraclesarcher( 42)
        US $46.01         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 19 -- Oct. 1978         gygaxian( 152)
        US $31.00         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 18 -- Sept. 1978         gygaxian( 152)
        US $20.50         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 17 -- Aug. 1978         gygaxian( 152)
        US $46.67         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 14 -- May 1978         gygaxian( 152)
        US $20.50         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 13 -- April 1978         gygaxian( 152)
        US $16.45         TSR D&D AD&D -- THE DRAGON MAGAZINE # 12 -- Feb. 1978         mafic238( 1 )