Original shrink wrap opionin needed
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:01 pm 

Hi all.  Again I'm bugging people for opinions.  I have an X1 Isle of Dread module that is shrink wrapped and I am trying to determine if it is original.  Ususally from what I have seen most S/W 1st edition modules came in a crinkly type wrapping and every item I've seen has a horizontal overlapping seam in the back.

The X1 I'm listing does not have the overlap seam in the back (it doesn't have an overlap seam).  The wrap is loose-fitting (not form-fitting like 2nd edition stuff).  It is quite crinkly sounding to the touch.

If you need to see a photo of the item let me know and I will post one.

Thanks

Gary

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:06 pm 

Gary pictures would be very helpful.  Some of the older items shrink differ quite a bit from the ones found in the early to mid 1980's Its possible that if you have a very early X1 that it could have been done via the older process.

For instance I have a Mono D2 that the shrink is really weird, but I am certain that its original.  The shrink is crinkly but it is also loose fitting and has little crimps in the shrink. Really weird.

<edit>
I should probably also ad though that if it doesn't have seal along the back, that it does not bode well for it being original. Even the Mono G1 that I have up right now has has a seal along the back, although it is a little bit different(its not as wide and is not as pronounced).  I will post a close up picture of it in a minute.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:10 pm 

Like these?  Not all mods have overlapping horizontal shrink.  As I remember, this X1 had fairly "crinkly" shrink as well.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:13 pm 

Your pictures didn't show on my browser, beyondthe breech.  But it's pretty much like bclarkie described.  If you compared the s/w moduel to a guy wearing a shirt you would say, "Dude, you need to iron that thing".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:14 pm 

BTB, By looking at that scan, I do not think that is original shrink. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 pm 

you know the only seams I can see are on the extreme edges.  BTB yours looks like a tighter wrap.

Do this help?

http://www427.pair.com/adagary/LOT117-X1.JPG

http://www427.pair.com/adagary/LOT117-X1-2.JPG

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:26 pm 

Alright, here is a picture of teh back of the G1 that I have for sale:

Its hard to see in the picture, but I tried to point it out with the red arrows where the seal is.  I tried some other angles, but because of how fine the shrinkwrap actually is, it does not show up very well in pictures, even high res ones. :?   If you look closely though you can see what I mean by "thinner"

I should probably also note that I was looking at a couple of other auctions that I have up right now and actually the X10 I have up has a very similar crimping on the back side of it like my previously described D2 which has this "crimping" all over(Thankfully, I was not looking forward to draging my D2 out :))  here is a close up it:

Hopefully Frank can chime in on this, he know alot about this stuff too. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:30 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:you know the only seams I can see are on the extreme edges.  BTB yours looks like a tighter wrap.

Do this help?

http://www427.pair.com/adagary/LOT117-X1.JPG

http://www427.pair.com/adagary/LOT117-X1-2.JPG

Yes that helps.   :)   Looking at your scan, I am fairlysure that is just a rewrap job. :(   I actually picked up an I14 last year from a seller who listed it as being in original shrinkwrap and it looks almost identical to your X1 Gary.  When examining the module, you could see that it had clear usage wear and it was also extremely loose in the shrinkwrap like there was a good 2 cm of difference from the top of the module and top of the shrink wrap when you pulled it tight from the bottom.  Also, my D2 is not like that at all.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:30 pm 

No, mine definately does not have the horizontal overlap seal.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:35 pm 

Here's the original listing where I won it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0083220421

Note that it mentions it being from a leftover wholeseller's stock.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:46 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:Here's the original listing where I won it:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Note that it mentions it being from a leftover wholeseller's stock.

Hmm, How tightly does the shrink fit on your module?  Is it snuggish ot is it loose?  I did just drag out out my D2 and the shrinkwrap looks more similar to your X1 than I thought it would but it is still a little different.  My D2 does not have a back seal either, but the shrinkwrap is a lot "softer" to the touch than the real original 80's shrinkwrap jobs used to be.  This could be why the plastic shows the "crimping" that I described before, but regardless, the shrink still fits snugly around the module, alot more so  than the I14 that I was refering to earlier. I am going to post a picture of my D2 in a minute here for comparisons sake.   One thing that you may also want to try to check it is to get a razor blade and cut a very small hole in the plastic along the top or bottom of the module.  By doing that, you should be able to smell the "newness" of the module.  This is a technique that I have used in the past to pretty good effectiveness as if its not a rewrap job, the module should still smell "new" inside.  Just make sure that you don't cut too big of a hole. :wink:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:04 pm 

I have an X1 in shrink and it looks just like the one that BtB posted.  The plastic is very tight and crinkly as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:16 pm 

Alright, as promised, here are a couple of pictures of my shrinked D2:

The pictures are not as clear as I was hoping that it would be, but if look at the back of it in particular, you can see the "crimping that I was refering to.  you can also see how the shrinkwrap still fits snug around the module.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:19 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I have an X1 in shrink and it looks just like the one that BtB posted.  The plastic is very tight and crinkly as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was original shrink.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:26 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was original shrink.

It would help if I could see it for myself, but IMHO the fact that the seals on all sides are so uneven puts up a big red flag for a reshrink job to me.  TBH, it really reminds me of the load of shrinked I1's I picked up over a year ago, that I asked about here:

viewtopic.php?t=2760&highlight=shrink

I am fairly certain that after looking through all the other items that I have now and have in the past sold, that those I1's were probably reshrinked.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:31 pm 

I don't know what to think.  My X1 has a good 1/4" "extra" amount of material than was needed.  It's kind of like your D2, bclarkie, but without those crimps.  Everything you see in my photo is a wrinkle.  The think that has me confused is the sound and feel of the wrap makes me think it's original.  There are 3 seams on the wrap; on each side and the bottom.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:37 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:I don't know what to think.  My X1 has a good 1/4" "extra" amount of material than was needed.  It's kind of like your D2, bclarkie, but without those crimps.  Everything you see in my photo is a wrinkle.  The think that has me confused is the sound and feel of the wrap makes me think it's original.  There are 3 seams on the wrap; on each side and the bottom.

Gary, that sounds almost exactly like the I14 that I bought except without the wrinkles and I almost certain that it is a reshrink.  The shrinkwrap "feels" like its original, but it has no back seal and the shrinkwrap way to big for the item.  I am pretty sure that I still have the I14 around here, I'll see if I can post a picture of it too.  

My D2's shrinkwrap from above is wrinkled, but the shrinkwrap is softer and not crinkly and it fits snug around the module.  The module also smells new inside.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:48 pm 

It seems like that seller was selling a number of other s/w 1st edition modules, all with the same blurb about wholeseller's overstock.  Yes, there was an A3, a C2, and an I1, all won coincidetally by seatoskygames.  I'll see if I can get his attention over here.

Next