IFW newsletter - nice win IO! :D
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:15 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5241777585

My wireless connectivity prevented me from bidding again at the end.  Good catch :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:34 pm 

grodog wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5241777585

My wireless connectivity prevented me from bidding again at the end. Good catch :D

*lol*. I was searching on "International", not "Int.". Maybe I need to do more "Gygax"ing? :P

*shakes head*

Yup, nice one Mike! (Saved paying an extra ~$50). :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:57 am 

Yeah, I was hoping noone else noticed them... and that $40 apiece would be enough.

Next time...

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:07 pm 

Thanks Allan,

These are so rare and hardly ever surface.

I can't wait to look this issue over. Vol. 2 No. 3 should have according Vol. 2 No. 4, Part I of rules for "(Ancient/Medieval Miniatures)", by Gygax. These rules are then completed in a "Part II" from issue Vol. 2 No. 6.

I believe these rules pre-date the "jousting rules", by Gygax, first printed in issue 6 of the Domesday Book, and then reprinted in issue 13. Issue 13 of the Domesday Book has a complete history of the newsletter as well as dates given.

Vol. 2 No. 6 also has a complete history of the IFW to date (June 69). Which is cool, and takes you back to it's origins in the mid-sixties. 8O

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:28 pm 

After a doing a little more research into issue 13 of the DB, it puts issue #1 (which was free as well as #2) in July of 1970. That puts issue #6 approximately 5 or 6 months latter (Dec 70, Jan 71), i.e. "The Jousting Rules"

The "Ancient/Medieval Miniatures Rules Part II", in Vol. 2 No .6 of the IFW (June, 69), uses tables similar to Chainmail. It also suggests the use of Airfix "Robin Hood" and "Sheriff of Nottingham" 25mm miniatures as in the Chainmail Rulebook.

This series of articles starting with issue Vol. 2 No .3, by Gygax; I believe to be an earlier origin of the Chainmail rules. I will post more research as it develops.

Does anyone have any of these issues or any thoughts on this?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:41 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Issue 13 of the Domesday Book has a complete history of the newsletter as well as dates given.

That would be worth having a look at to shed some light into the general contents of the entire print run!  Could you post a scan or the text of that when you have some spare time on your hands Mike?

Vol. 2 No. 6 also has a complete history of the IFW to date (June 69). Which is cool, and takes you back to it's origins in the mid-sixties. 8O

Ditto!

I knew that I wasn't bidding anywhere near their relative worth; out of curiousity, how much would you have been willing to pay for these (if that's not too bold to ask), if push had really come to shove (as with the RJK Bottle City, for example)?  Or, to perhaps be more coy, how much would you insure it for? :D

I find it interesting that sometimes the really rare and/or unique items don't reach the standard medium to high prices of rares:  this was obviously much less common than R1, yet went for 1/5 the price!  (Basically, this is the same observation I had about Rob's Domesday book, just a different instigating auction).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:44 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Does anyone have any of these issues or any thoughts on this?

After compiling the research, we could always ask Gary or Rob to validate it; I'm sure they'd be happy to do so.

Greyhawk, grodog Style