eBay or RPG Auction FB
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 pm 

With the ever changing directions of life I am considering putting my collection up for sale. It has been a very interesting and enjoyable 12+ years collecting. I have a sale on the RPG Auctions Facebook page at the moment to test how this goes. I like the benefit of no fees but the downside is no real seller (or buyer) protection and potentially less exposure (although some 7,000+ members). eBay has good protections and a potentially wider audience, but with 10% seller fees plus PayPal fees of 3.4% to overseas buyers (I am based in the UK and suspect most sales will be to US purchasers) that is a large amount on fees for what I hope will be a sizeable sales price.

I am interested in what peoples thoughts on which forum would be best and also how items should be sold. For example grouping items together like I have done for the R1 - R4 lot for example, quicker to list but potentially not realise full value. Or sell all individually, more time consuming but potentially better overall sales.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:44 pm 

To maximize your potential income from selling your collection -

Sell on FB, only take Paypal. They have an invoice option -protected), you could take the friends and family option, but only with those you trust.
Sell individual pieces - more time, but more coin in pocket.

There is a General RPG auction space on FB you can sell at, but I think the listings are limited, but I also believe the membership is higher than FB Acaeum.

Oh  -  and don't cross post unless you WANT a lot of hassle taking down completed sales.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:51 pm 

Sorry to hear that Chris.  You have been collecting for a long time.

In my experience, eBay is the best all around for getting the best price, and being the easiest to use.  You will pay the selling fee of course.

Selling on Facebook is good for specific items, but the limited number of listings imposed by some groups will really slow you down.  Facebook is not seller friendly for listings either, and the listing are a real hassle to keep in front of potential buyers, especially when you have to keep submitting "relevant" comments to try to move your post to the top of the list.  Don't get me wrong, I do like the community spirit of selling on Facebook, and the fact that many of our members are there too, but it's really not the best way to sell a lot of items, from my perspective.

I second what jkason said, cross posting is a bad idea.  I learned rather quickly not to do it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm 

Curious how many other Acaeum users do not have a Facebook account? Are polls supported?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:16 pm 

Sorry to hear to hear you are thinking about selling. One intermediate step might be to keep a few items you are quite fond of and sell some/more of the rest. My collection has changed shape over the years, and it has certainly shrunk somewhat from when I lived alone (!!  :D ) ... but I still have some left. I would go so far to say that selling is really important (or giving away if you prefer), otherwise it just grows out of control.  8O  :lol:

If you are going to part with a lot of items, I would probably go with ebay. I have a facebook account but don't really use it any more. So I am not sure how good it is for selling - but people here who use it often say good things. Also you might want to sell some parcels or lots directly to collectors. It is true that most rpg collectors are in the US, but there are a few in the UK here and you might want to make some suggestions here and see if anyone takes you up. I would be happy to look at a list and make some offers for example and I am sure others here might.

Good luck!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:24 am 

Another consideration is a private auction by email, similar to the recent Collectors Trove D&D cartoon auction. Advertising via this forum and others plus the Facebook auction pages with a detailed list of items for sale with high res photos. Updates once per day, run until bidding ends on an item with set period of going once, twice. To avoid any concerns over potential mischief, the auction could be moderated by another respected member here by having access to the email address set up for the auction to check bids. Payment via PayPal using the payment for goods protection, shipments all by recorded, tracked and insured delivery, cost to be paid by purchaser.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:50 am 

There are a few of us here collecting in the UK. If you have a fair idea of what you want on more bulk-stuff I would suggest putting it up here and I (alongside others) would be willing to pay a good price.