Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm 

Now here's something you don't see every day.

Not only does this otherwise unexceptional Holmes Basic D&D rulebook have two duplicated upside down pages, but those pages are on leaves where the opposite pages are right-side up.  The upside down pages replace the proper pages. Also of note, the stapling is a bit off-center, and the paper stock of much of the first half sticks out a bit from where it should end. Regardless of this error, the rulebook (and set it came from) did get a bit of use instead of being isolated immediately.

For posterity I will enclose all twelve images of the rulebook, even though only several of the pages are of the actual errors.  I can only post three images at a time, so the actual errors will be viewable in the comments. (Starting with the fourth image.) I hope youall  appreciate the weirdness as much as I do!

---Pauly

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

Okay, here's some more photos of the same stream, with errors shown.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 pm 

Pictures 7-9 of the same stream. Behold the weirdness.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

The rest of these are here for posterity, though one photo does show the improperly cut paperstock sticking out from the established margin. Hope you liked looking at these photos!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 pm 

That is weird! I've never seen anything like that before. Thanks for the detailed picture series.

That's the "1st print" of the 2nd edition of the rulebook - at least that I've identified - as it has a price of $4.49 for B1 on the back cover.

1st edition, 1st print: code F116-R, Lizard Logo
1st edition, 2nd print: code 2001, Lizard Logo, January 1978
1st edition, 3rd print: code 2001, Lizard Logo, May 1978

2nd edition, 1st print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, November 1978, back cover B1 price $4.49
2nd edition, 2nd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, November 1978, back cover B1 price $5.49
2nd edition, 3rd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, November 1978, no prices on back cover

3rd edition, 1st print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, December 1979, no ISBN on page 1
3rd edition, 2nd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, December 1979, ISBN on page 1, "USING THE DICE OR CHITS" on page 46
3rd edition, 3rd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, December 1979, ISBN on page 1, "USING THE DICE" on page 46

Silver Anniversary reprint, 1999

List of Changes Made to the Holmes Basic Rulebook - Zenopus Archives

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 pm 

Yes, that's a pretty weird defect.

Let me ask this to make certain. Say you take the staples out of the book and pull the page that has the upside down parts, which would give you an approximately 11"X17" piece of paper with 4 "pages" printed on it. Are you saying that some of those "pages" are printed upside down and part of them are right side up?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 am 

Couple of things I *think* I see going on. Sometimes just photos aren't enough, but thems be da breaks.

First, someone grabbed two sheets of the same pages by mistake (why one would be upside down is weird though). Not exactly hard to do. The page numbers on the upsiders aren't there because they got cut off from the 'top' of the page.

Second, it looks like someone did a really poor job of stapling this. They should be on the fold, not what, 1/8" off-center? Probably what is causing the crappy edge alignment.

Somebody had too much Christmas egg-nog when they did this one.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 am 

SimperingToad wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:Couple of things I *think* I see going on. Sometimes just photos aren't enough, but thems be da breaks.

First, someone grabbed two sheets of the same pages by mistake (why one would be upside down is weird though). Not exactly hard to do. The page numbers on the upsiders aren't there because they got cut off from the 'top' of the page.

Second, it looks like someone did a really poor job of stapling this. They should be on the fold, not what, 1/8" off-center? Probably what is causing the crappy edge alignment.

Somebody had too much Christmas egg-nog when they did this one.

I agree on all counts! The upside down pages share leaves with pages that are right side up. Perhaps the photos alone do not do enough justice, so I just might make a cheesy Youtube video doing a walkthrough of this odd misprint.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:Yes, that's a pretty weird defect.

Let me ask this to make certain. Say you take the staples out of the book and pull the page that has the upside down parts, which would give you an approximately 11"X17" piece of paper with 4 "pages" printed on it. Are you saying that some of those "pages" are printed upside down and part of them are right side up?

Yes! I think this calls for a cheesy "walkthrough" Youtube video, since pictures alone seem not to give this enough justice.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 am 

Zenopus wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:That is weird! I've never seen anything like that before. Thanks for the detailed picture series.

That's the "1st print" of the 2nd edition of the rulebook - at least that I've identified - as it has a price of $4.49 for B1 on the back cover.

1st edition, 1st print: code F116-R, Lizard Logo
1st edition, 2nd print: code 2001, Lizard Logo, January 1978
1st edition, 3rd print: code 2001, Lizard Logo, May 1978

2nd edition, 1st print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, November 1978, back cover B1 price $4.49
2nd edition, 2nd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, November 1978, back cover B1 price $5.49
2nd edition, 3rd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, November 1978, no prices on back cover

3rd edition, 1st print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, December 1979, no ISBN on page 1
3rd edition, 2nd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, December 1979, ISBN on page 1, "USING THE DICE OR CHITS" on page 46
3rd edition, 3rd print: code 2001, Wizard Logo, December 1979, ISBN on page 1, "USING THE DICE" on page 46

Silver Anniversary reprint, 1999

List of Changes Made to the Holmes Basic Rulebook - Zenopus Archives

Wow! And thank you for the extra details that are not currently present on the Acaeum reference for Basic D&D prints (unless I have not seen a place on Acaeum where you have also placed this information).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 pm 

After some real technical problems with my aging phone's camera, I was finally able to get this successfully filmed. You will be able to clearly see how the 17" x 11" sheet dor pages 17-18 and 21-22 are printed right side up on one side, and upside down on the other.

Again, some caffeine might be in order while watching this.
Weird printing error Holmes Basic D&D Rulebook 2nd Ed 2nd Print - YouTube

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 am 

PaulyDragon wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:After some real technical problems with my aging phone's camera,

This might be due to your phone's system updates. For instance, some older iPhones have their processing speed lowered in order to accommodate the reduced capabilities of aging batteries. Your phone might be blurring the photos on purpose, in order to spare your aging eyes the sight of anything which might upset you or cause strain upon your aging heart: the sight of young people crossing your lawn, immigrants from countries you've never heard of, rising doctors' bills, what passes for decent family entertainment these days, slackers & malingerers, or a general failure to make America great again. In effect, the growing role of the modern phone as personal assistant has taken the place of relatives who whisper "Oh, don't let him see that. You know how he gets."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:
PaulyDragon wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:After some real technical problems with my aging phone's camera,

This might be due to your phone's system updates. For instance, some older iPhones have their processing speed lowered in order to accommodate the reduced capabilities of aging batteries. Your phone might be blurring the photos on purpose, in order to spare your aging eyes the sight of anything which might upset you or cause strain upon your aging heart: the sight of young people crossing your lawn, immigrants from countries you've never heard of, rising doctors' bills, what passes for decent family entertainment these days, slackers & malingerers, or a general failure to make America great again. In effect, the growing role of the modern phone as personal assistant has taken the place of relatives who whisper "Oh, don't let him see that. You know how he gets."

Not sure what this has to do with what I am trying to share with the people on this forum---however,  in Android Phone years, my 4 1/2 year old phone is getting a bit dotty and cantankerous. It seems to fart a lot, still calls the New York Giants the "New York Football Giants", and it snores really loudly when it sleeps. Unlike me, it has more hair grown out of its nose than it has growing on its scalp. But as long as the phone still works, I'll still use it :3

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 pm 

PaulyDragon wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:Not sure what this has to do with what I am trying to share with the people on this forum

It was all clearly explained on tonight's X-Files.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:
PaulyDragon wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:Not sure what this has to do with what I am trying to share with the people on this forum

The truth is out there! And . . . the Spice must flow, Muad'Dib.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:24 pm 

PaulyDragon wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:

Yes, it must.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am 

muaddib5 wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:
PaulyDragon wrote in Holmes 2nd Ed Rulebook with two duplicated upside-down pages:

Yes, it must.  :wink:

Kull wahad!

This rulebook must be seen to be properly appreciated. I wonder how many more weird errors like this are floating around unnoticed in Holmes sets that have been sitting in storage gathering dust?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:10 am 

Likely posting this for auction on eBay within the next week, but not 100% committed to that yet.