Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:59 pm 

Hi everyone,

It was suggested that I start a thread here so folks can comment and make inquiries about the "Original Dungeons & Dragons Set -- Woodgrain Box -- First Printing" listing that I put up on eBay yesterday (12/2/2016).

I know there is a lot of concern because this is a high-priced object, and, frankly, I had ZERO first-hand experience with eBay before i jumped right in and posted this item. So no, there is no feedback, no history, and it might well look like this is some kind of scam.

But it's not. I acquired this game in 1974 as I described in the history note on the eBay listing. After that, my life did not take me in any direction that included games - I was a farmer, a writer, a Unitarian minister, a community organizer - there was a lot going on. I wasn't much into possessions of any sort, so never even bought anything on eBay, and really didn't think I had anything of value to sell.

I recently retired, and had some time to go through boxes that I hadn't opened in years, There, perfectly preserved in a tightly-sealed plastic box, were a couple of games. The D&D was one of them.

I knew it was old, and probably original, so I asked Uncle Google and found The Acaeum. Yeah - I was surprised to see that a similar set had actually set a price record. So I decided to have a go at learning a new skill - how to sell on eBay. I figured out the basics, took some photos and put it up.

Once, long ago, I used to be the assistant editor of a magazine for coin collectors, so I knew there would be a community of collectors who would be interested in this game. I'm happy to have found The Acaeum and have the chance to tell this story. I hope it reassures those of you who felt uncomfortable bidding on this item. It really is in nice shape, and I think the new owner is going to be very happy. And I really am a real person, and an honest one, and if you win the auction I will send the game to you with lots of insurance on the package. No funny business.

Please feel free to comment or post your questions on this thread. I will do my best to answer any concerns you might have.

Enjoy! Here's a link to the auction in question.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:21 pm 

Welcome, editorjan_1!

I sent you a Q via eBay before I saw this thread, so I'll repeat it here for everyone's benefit:

hi editorjan_1---2 Qs for you: 1) can you please further describe the D&D school book in the set and do you or Bill have any other copies of that booklet? i created an after-school curriculum to teach D&D to elementary school students in the early 1980s, and would be interested in comparing notes! 2) also, in the official D&D books, are any of the pages loose, bent, or missing; is there any writing/highlighting; do the books or boxed set have any musty, moldy, or smoky odors? thank you! .....allan

My real interest is in the school book, but I thought that other folks would also be interested in some more detail about the condition of the books.  I probably shoudl have asked if the staples were rusty too, or not, but didn't in the eBay PM ;)

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:33 pm 

Hi Allan,

I'll answer all your questions in detail on the eBay page. Briefly, the answers are: No marks, highlighting or bent pages, no rust, no musty smells or mushy carcboard. May I make the question and answer public so others can see the photos too? Thanks!

Jan

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:57 pm 

Yes---do please share the Q&A response :)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:53 pm 

Boosted the signal on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/frank.mentzer/ ... 1073262308

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:30 pm 

This is a reply for Allan - I answered your questions on the eBay page, and was trying to upload some photos of the interior pages, but having technical difficulties. I see that uploading images to this page seems to be a bit beyond my abilities. If you would like to send me an email, I can send them to you by return email. My email address is [email protected].

Jan

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:33 pm 

Thanks for the boost, ExTSR!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 pm 

Hoo boy, I am gonna sit back with a snack to watch the sales of this one.  Would love to have the budget to participate, but am content with the woodgrain I own.  Thanks editorjan for communicating with the Acaeum and congrats on what will most likely be an incredible sale.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 am 

Good luck on the auction!

As an aside, I'm a little curious as to the appeal for woodgrains? Obviously they are very rare but do many also value them for their aesthetics or contents? Or is it mostly having a part of the earliest history of D&D? The ability to read the evolution of the game? An investment? Something else still?

As a contrast OB3 is a rather odd product in that it is completely unusable (maybe also unreadable) but has a strange lore to it that captures some people's attention.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:28 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:As an aside, I'm a little curious as to the appeal for woodgrains?

It's a bit of D&D history. The early boxes were hand assembled by EGG, et. al. For a D&D collector, it's like having a Gutenberg Bible.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:33 am 

Considering this auctioneer has no ebay experience, which is odd considering ebay has been around since 1995 and has little experience in the community I find the price way too high.  The interior pages could be crayon artwork all over or it could be complete fiction.  Color me suspicious.  Anyway, it is not my money, I can't wait to see if the goods are real.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:53 am 

snackpack wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:Considering this auctioneer has no ebay experience, which is odd considering ebay has been around since 1995 and has little experience in the community I find the price way too high.  The interior pages could be crayon artwork all over or it could be complete fiction.  Color me suspicious.  Anyway, it is not my money, I can't wait to see if the goods are real.

Odd first post.

I would say despite the lack of feedback from the seller, the listing is professional and appropriately detailed for an item of this value. They have also come here and appear willing to be as transparent as possible on the process. I don't see any reason to be suspicious, beyond taking normal precautions for online business.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:12 am 

Ditto!  

And do not forget that the current price isn t the starting price: the seller set a more than reasonable price point at 1000 usd which is definitely a good price for a 1st woody!

Ciaoo

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 am 

Hi again, folks.

Thanks for standing up for me here. I'm grateful to The Acaeum for giving me a forum to clarify and explain things about this set.

This really is as it seems to be. This is a little treasure that I have somehow managed to keep with me and preserve through a long and eventful life that just didn't include much gaming - I just never got into it much. Farming, kids, grad school, community organizing, some ministry work, urban agriculture - there was just never time.

The interior pages have no marks, no crayons, no highlighters. It was used only a couple of times and then packed away. There are no stains, the staples are not rusty, no icky smells. The little booklet that was created by the 6th grade Social Studies class is a little hard to read because of the xerox technology of 1974, but it's really fun.

I never got into using eBay, although I have been a computer user since, actually, 1968 when my brother, who helped develop BASIC, got his teen-aged kid sister to test a self tutorial that he wrote as part of a post-doctorate at Dartmouth. But that's another story.

I really don't mind revealing a bit about my life to add to the interest and veracity here. I was a writer and assistant editor for a world coin collecting magazine back in the late 70s, so I know that part of the fun of collecting is the stories behind the pieces.

I do hope this set gets bought by a collector who will continue to preserve it, and maybe find a way to share it with others. And I'm kind of hoping the set stays in the United States - I've had an inquiry for more information from one collector in Spain. In fact, as a writer, I wouldn't mind helping to write something to help preserve the lore of how this set came to be preserved and eventually sold. That could be a lot of fun.

I'm pretty amazed and delighted by the price. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:11 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:I don't see any reason to be suspicious, beyond taking normal precautions for online business.

Concur.

We welcome new and suspicious arrivals at Acaeum; we get lots of deals while they're coming up to speed. ;>

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:30 pm 

editorjan_1 wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:The little booklet that was created by the 6th grade Social Studies class is a little hard to read because of the xerox technology of 1974, but it's really fun.

Would it be possible to post pictures of the booklet here?

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:44 pm 

Well you have to start somewhere, I used this site years ago.  Finally wandered back and was shocked how much the prices have risen over the years.  In terms of this set, maybe I am just being too paranoid.  The values are so high!  The set certainly looks great, I'm sure people will give it the love it deserves.  It is a wonderful find.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:27 am 

I am that "collector from Spain" and yes im still lurking in the shadows and watching those bids, hehe.

I have been looking long and hard for a first print copy like this one. Unfortunately I have a burden you americans have not.

If I won this I would have to pay 21% extra as import fees into my country. When we talking so much dough then this taxs turns into something unaffordable.

I have been thinking about travelling to the USA to pick it up in case I am lucky to win this.

It is tough to be a hardcore d&d collector outside the States, man.

Good luck to the winner, and thanks to the seller for this awesome piece of d&d history.

/Javier

D&D in the world @DNDCollecting
A quick look at the rarest, oddest, most elusive items within the Dungeons & Dragons franchise, with a special focus on obscure international (non-US) items

https://twitter.com/DNDCollecting

Next