Archival Storage
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:10 pm 

New to the collecting world, and was looking for some guidance. I've already read the "Storage" section to get ideas.

In addition to using Acid Free card boards in a Mylar sleeve. What else could I implement -- to ensure that my items are protected from the elements?

Any help is appreciated.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:34 pm 

TechMan wrote in Archival Storage: to ensure that my items are protected from the elements?

Any help is appreciated.

Don't take them out in the rain to play!
:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:38 pm 

Funny  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:56 pm 

If you live in a fairly humid area (especially if your collectibles are stored in your basement), I would suggest a dehumidifier.  I find it best when I set mine to 40-50%.  Obviously temperature is a factor too, but in my experience, it only becomes unwieldy if your collection is in your attic during the summer months.  Heat + High Humidity = Higher Probability for Funk.  Good luck with your collection, and welcome to the jungle ;)!  (Note:  the jungle reference in a post centered largely on humidity was only a coincidence ;)).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:30 am 

Give some thought to collection insurance.  I am not recommending it one way or the other, but fire is arguably your biggest danger.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:19 pm 

Appreciate all the responses.

I like MadCatUSA's idea (Clear Secure Document Pockets" from Staples) to store at least my module collection. The dehumidifier and insurance would be nice additions too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:12 pm 

My wife and I have talked about the need for renter's insurance many times now and as the value of my collection increases, it's something I'll have to take care of sooner rather than later.
The sleeves are inexpensive, archival quality and you can scrounge cardboard to keep it from sagging from a lot of places.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:59 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Archival Storage:Give some thought to collection insurance.  I am not recommending it one way or the other, but fire is arguably your biggest danger.   8)

Or Theft...

I have a separate rider on my homeowner's insurance for my D&D collectables. Granted, my collection is not as big as some others, that have a separate insurance company for their collectables.

I guess it depends on how easy it is to deal with them (or if there's a significant cost savings).

But start with your homeowner's insurance company first, and see what they will do for you.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:11 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Archival Storage:Give some thought to collection insurance.  I am not recommending it one way or the other, but fire is arguably your biggest danger.   8)

Do you mind if I ask who you use for this? Is it covered under your homeowner's policy (or renter's insurance)? How much is it per month?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:48 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in Archival Storage:

Do you mind if I ask who you use for this? Is it covered under your homeowner's policy (or renter's insurance)? How much is it per month?

I do not have a special rider or insurance just for my collection.  I would guess my D&D collection is less than $5000.00, but I'm not sure.  There is another, older thread which has a lot more information about this topic, and if I had kept searching, I probably would have found more info.

The appraisal is apparently an important first step, and that's why it's a good idea to know your FLGS (and especially the owner) well.

Re: Insurance for Collections

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:07 pm 

My collection is not spectacular... Last time I checked prices (a year or so ago) for everything I have, it's between $3k to 5k. That's not including the plastic minis that I have stored away. Some of my 3.5e stuff seems to be going up lately. I'll have to talk to someone at Progressive.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:46 am 

@ MadCatUSA,

I'm going through the same process. My collection is similar in $$ range as yours. Personal items (jewelry, any collectibles, antique furniture etc.) are given a smaller coverage amount on most standard homeowner policies. For example -- I've got some special items I had to get appraised, then purchased a separate policy above and beyond my standard homeowners one. The agent opened my eyes to homeowners insurance and how lacking it is. I was told if my house burned down or a hurricane (yes I'm in hurricane country) destroyed those items -- my homeowners coverage would not even cover a 1/4 of the price  8O . I'll just add my D&D collection to the extra policy I have.

Good news is. I pay approximately $15.00 a month on the separate policy and those items are far more expensive than my D&D collection.

Hope this helps.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm 

Definitely need to speak with your insurance company.

I know when I first started getting renters insurance years ago, they explained that in most states, there are two types, current value and replacement value.  Current value is cheaper to buy, but uses wholesale prices of what the exact item is worth.  So if your 10 year old 50 inch TV is stolen, they would pay you like $100 at best since that old of a TV is not worth much.  Replacement value which costs more, will pay you the approximate amount to replace the item with a comparable new item in the current market.  Lots of wiggle room there, but more likely going to get close to the money you need to replace it.  Most homeowner policies work the same I have been told.

Now not sure how they would apply that to a collection of gaming books and the like, I have not actually talked to mine since I started building my collection last year, and I am probably over 10K in value now....so guess I should be doing that soon. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:56 pm 

TechMan wrote in Archival Storage:@ MadCatUSA,

I'm going through the same process. My collection is similar in $$ range as yours. Personal items (jewelry, any collectibles, antique furniture etc.) are given a smaller coverage amount on most standard homeowner policies. For example -- I've got some special items I had to get appraised, then purchased a separate policy above and beyond my standard homeowners one. The agent opened my eyes to homeowners insurance and how lacking it is. I was told if my house burned down or a hurricane (yes I'm in hurricane country) destroyed those items -- my homeowners coverage would not even cover a 1/4 of the price  8O . I'll just add my D&D collection to the extra policy I have.

Good news is. I pay approximately $15.00 a month on the separate policy and those items are far more expensive than my D&D collection.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info! I really should know better too... My father was an insurance agent for many years, my sister-in-law and two of my nieces are agents...  PDT_Armataz_01_04
I will have to get a hold of Progressive and see what they can do as an add-on to our car insurance. I don't want to change car insurance because they are so inexpensive and have been really good to us.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:59 pm 

WyvernLord wrote in Archival Storage:Definitely need to speak with your insurance company.

I know when I first started getting renters insurance years ago, they explained that in most states, there are two types, current value and replacement value.  Current value is cheaper to buy, but uses wholesale prices of what the exact item is worth.  So if your 10 year old 50 inch TV is stolen, they would pay you like $100 at best since that old of a TV is not worth much.  Replacement value which costs more, will pay you the approximate amount to replace the item with a comparable new item in the current market.  Lots of wiggle room there, but more likely going to get close to the money you need to replace it.  Most homeowner policies work the same I have been told.

Now not sure how they would apply that to a collection of gaming books and the like, I have not actually talked to mine since I started building my collection last year, and I am probably over 10K in value now....so guess I should be doing that soon. :)

I had my collection built up pretty good until around 1991-1992... Financial difficulties forced me to sell everything off and it wasn't until a friend got me into D&D 3.5e and the tournaments that I started collecting again around 2003 or 2004. I've been collecting on and off since then starting with re-building everything I had sold off in the 90's (all of the 1st Edition stuff I had sold is long gone, but I managed to replace with more collectible copies.)