Value of D&D printer positives? (Rarity: 6?)
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:02 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have not been here for a very long time (used to contribute to the Acaeum archive about 15? years ago) and couldn't really remember my original Forum-account, so I made a new one. I have some very rare, if not unique, items in my D&D collection that I am thinking of parting with:

Attachment:
DnD_positives_0069.jpg

Attachment:
DnD_positives_0029.jpg

Attachment:
DnD_positives_0010.jpg

For more photos please see: goo.gl/photos/kqfRXejgt4e133Jr9 (hi-res)

I have in my possession thirteen unique sheets of (polyester?) 'transparent positives' with D&D cover art that were used for the production/printing of at least two Dutch Basic D&D modules (B1Dutch, and B2Dutch) and BasicDutch, but which may have been used for other (international) printings as well. I received these sheets personally from Selecta about 15 years ago as a gift [1] - Selecta being the former publisher of D&D in The Netherlands in the late 80's. Each positive comes in a transparent sleeve, which includes stickers and handwriting from employees (and since it's in English, I assume these are the directions from the original TSR staff meant for the Selecta staff).

You can also see - especially in the Larry Elmore piece (which was originally used for TSR's CN2 Conan The Mercenary module [2]) - that the positives are actually photos of the artworks themselves, that in several occasions are taped or pinned to a wall/surface. Looking closely at the edges of the artworks, I believe that some may be photos of the original paintings/drawings (but I may be mistaken), whereas a few are more clearly photos of printed copies (such as the Dragonlance cover). And some of these also come with their own notes. The sheets are absolutely stunning to look at, especially with backlight, showing a high level of detail, clarity and radiant colors. The positives vary in size, but are either about 20.5cmx26cm or 10cmx12.5cm.

(The sheets did not photograph easily due to their transparency, so I put some against my PC monitor, so you can see the positives a bit better (if you don't mind the pixels of my monitor).)

I am deciding on prices, but inspired by the "B3 Palace of the Silver Princess negatives"- post [3] and Scott's advice, this post is really to get your opinions on these positives, including an indication of their possible value as collectables. And I want to give serious collectors a heads up before I start putting them on eBay (private sales possible).

So what do you guys think?

Best regards,

Richard

[1] hence my contributions to the Dutch Foreign Editions, such as BasicDutch, B1Dutch, and B2Dutch
[2] non-D&D: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... 3,200_.jpg
[3] B3 Palace of the Silver Princess negatives

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 am 

that's a tough one. I wouldn't compare to the OB3 negative printing plates since the OB3 is a rarity item to begin with and an interesting history.

The modules, sets, books that are associated with the transparencies you have shown above are pretty common.

The transparencies/"color positives" are probably not one of a kind. I have known some other collectors with an assortment of them. The color positives are valuable to the original artists, for instance, because high quality large reproductions can be derived from them. btw I think that additional color positives can be duped from other color positives without too much generation loss but I'm not an expert on that area.

Complete guess on my part, I think that you might be able to get anywhere from $25 to somewhere over $100 each? I don't remember seeing color positives sold on ebay, but I can't imagine that they would come anywhere close to the price of the original art. If you compare them to a nice print for sale from an artist, I think that would be a better comparison. The transparencies are small though and can't readily be displayed like a poster print.

You might want to reach out to the artists or their estates to see if they are interested. They are far more valuable to them if they do not have high resolution copies of their work.

edit: I forgot that there was one color positive that was sold a couple weeks ago in a special auction of Hammack's collection. that Top Secret transparency was for an unused version of the set cover and sold for $328. Again, like the OB3 printing plates, there is for whatever reason an extra amount people bid because those things were coming from a former TSR employee.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:21 pm 

PM sent Richard!  :D

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 am 

Did these ever sell?

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:23 am 

Hi,

I chose not to sell them at the time so they are all still in my collection. My plan is to put a few that are dear to me on display at home, and possibly sell the others when I get round to it. After my initial post I received many pm’s of interested buyers, so I guess these types of items are rather sought after.

Greets,

Richard