Help identifying Monster Manual
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:27 pm 

HI, I can't seem to pinpoint this Monster Manual. It has all the description of the 4th Gamma Printing except for the spine has "Advanced D&D" instead of "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons". I think I am just not getting the right printing correct. Thanks for the help.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:15 pm 

BNagata wrote in Help identifying Monster Manual:HI, I can't seem to pinpoint this Monster Manual. It has all the description of the 4th Gamma Printing except for the spine has "Advanced D&D" instead of "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons". I think I am just not getting the right printing correct. Thanks for the help.

I think that's correct but I don't have my MM's out of several boxes right now. No ISBN on spine, though?
I'll see if I can find the thread where someone took a bunch of photos of the spines, covers and title pages together.

edit: could've been this one, but I'm not seeing the photos I was thinking of right away.
MM - 4th printing found with red end papers (news to grodog)

Last edited by misterspock on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:26 pm 

I think that's correct but I don't have my MM's out of several boxes right now. No ISBN on spine, though?
I'll see if I can find the thread where someone took a bunch of photos of the spines, covers and title pages together.

Thanks, that would be great.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:20 am 

I think that's a fifth printing, IIRC, and matches my play copy from BITD.

...but that doesn't really match the 5th printing description anymore. Scott, is there further tweaking to the MM descriptions pending at all, based on Paul's DMG/MM flowchart details?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:50 am 

btw, I think the info on the 4th prints needs to be revised for the spine.

On the 3rd prints, the spine has the words "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" spelled out.
On the 4th prints, the spine has it truncated to "Advanced D&D" (with the "TM" still after it)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:36 am 

I think there's one or two emails in the archives on the MM.  Paul never did a flowchart on the MM, just the DMG.

I'll adjust the info re: the spines on the 3rd/4th print.  What needs to change for the 5th print?

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 pm 

the two 5th print copies I have right near me have a differently textured cover than the 4th. A rough texture but not like the 3rd.
The spines look exactly the same.

I'll have to take some photos later, but the pages actually look 1/16" or 1/8" less wide on the 5th versus the 4th Gamma.
The paper seems thinner too, not just rougher. Also not as white