B3 Palace of the Silver Princess negatives
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:46 am 

Kevin Hendryx, a designer with TSR in the early days, recently contacted us regarding the negatives to the orange-cover B3 Palace of the Silver Princess that he'd like to part with.  He wanted to give serious collectors the first crack at it, so I offered to post a notice here for him.

His message is as follows:

"I am a former TSR designer/developer from 1980-81, the Golden Age as we called it then.  As an industry professional and avid game collector, I hoarded a small pile of gaming rarities that only in recent years have I begun to sell off at conventions or eBay.   I have sold my last copy of the original printing of module B3 (Palace of the Silver Princess, orange cover) but in the course of a house move a few years ago I uncovered something I thought had been lost or inadvertently discarded:  the original printing negatives to the interior of module B3 (i.e., everything needed to print copies except the cover  folder color separations).  These had been recovered by me during a TSR archives housecleaning in mid-1981, when they were slated for destruction,  and kept in their original storage folder ever since.

"I have been planning to put this unique item up for sale on eBay and have been taking display photos in anticipation of this listing, but before I list it, I thought I'd contact this website and see if I might make this sale privately first, to spare myself the eBay commission and hedge against the time it might take to find a bidder who will meet the reserve price.   I have not yet decided on this, so I am willing to entertain any serious offers someone might wish to tender.

"I would like to get a good price, obviously, but I would also like to see this one-of-a-kind item pass to a serious collector who will appreciate owning it and cataloging it for a worldwide audience."

If you have an interest in this item, please e-mail Kevin directly:  [email protected] .  While I can't vouch for this particular item, Kevin is a well-known designer of the early 1980's, and is known to have possessed quite a few unique items from that time (the manuscript to L1 Secret of Bone Hill, etc -- most, or all, of these items have since been sold by him, however).

Kevin states that he will wait for offers until roughly the end of the month, when he will offer it up on eBay.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:34 pm 

Thanks for the tip Scott. Wonderful news indeed! I personally would like to see this on ebay to see what it may fetch. Also more people will find out of the item on ebay than just on the forums.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:21 pm 

Scott or anyone, whats the news on this item?? Has it been sold or will it be on ebay soon??

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:07 pm 

bump

Just curious:  any updates or additional information on this?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:26 pm 

Locked safely away in a dark secret archive of an anonymous collector.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:40 pm 

Howdy All,

Not so! The Collector's Trove will be presenting the collection of Kevin Hendryx in the upcoming months. Among several pieces of artwork and fantastic TSR treasures are the printing negatives for the orange version of Palace of the Silver Princess. Kevin and I are working out the details and I have yet to receive a batch of manuscripts and some TSR newsletters. So far he has sent 12 boxes from his collection!

This auction will really give insight into what I feel is one of the most creative periods in TSR's history, from 1977 to 1983.

I have also contracted with Ernie Gygax and Dave Cook to auction their collections. The next year should be very exciting indeed!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm 

Thanks, Paul.  That's what I was hoping to hear.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:48 pm 

Howdy,

Thought you might like that!

Looking at the negatives right now I think they would look really cool if they were in a frame and then backlit. All of the interior artwork shows up as a negative image and looks killer.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:51 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Not so! The Collector's Trove will be presenting the collection of Kevin Hendryx in the upcoming months. Among several pieces of artwork and fantastic TSR treasures are the printing negatives for the orange version of Palace of the Silver Princess. Kevin and I are working out the details and I have yet to receive a batch of manuscripts and some TSR newsletters. So far he has sent 12 boxes from his collection!

This auction will really give insight into what I feel is one of the most creative periods in TSR's history, from 1977 to 1983.

I have also contracted with Ernie Gygax and Dave Cook to auction their collections. The next year should be very exciting indeed!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Wow.  Ernie had a complete collection at one time.  I.e. every TSR product.

Zeb was a really good guy.  How is he (and where is he)?

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:01 am 

Belongs in a museum.  Or my closet.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:11 am 

Futures Bright,

Paul

Looking forward to all this stuff :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:59 am 

Futures Bright,

Paul

I have to win the lotto... :cry:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:58 pm 

Artwork?!?!  

Any hints...?   :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:30 am 

FoulFoot wrote:Kevin Hendryx, a designer with TSR in the early days, recently contacted us regarding the negatives to the orange-cover B3 Palace of the Silver Princess that he'd like to part with.  He wanted to give serious collectors the first crack at it, so I offered to post a notice here for him.

Out of curiousity, is this the same Kevin Hendryx that worked for Metagaming from ~1981-1983?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:34 am 

Howdy,

It is that same person! Kevin worked at Metagaming, then went to TSR, and then followed most of the creative Devolopment department of TSR to Coleco.

So this auction will include a number of items related to his work at all three places.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:38 am 

Howdy,

VermilionFire wrote:Artwork?!?!  

Any hints...?   :wink:

An unpublished Erol Otus piece, plus another non-TSR artist. There are other pieces of impromptu art by Erol Otus and the TSR Devlopment Department Employees.

Futures bright,

Paul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:05 pm 

Paul,

Any idea when you are going to start listing the items?

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie