GaryCon 2014
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:13 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote in GaryCon 2014:Hey Zenopus,

Yes, that's the one! I didn't have a copy of the Origins II program, nice job Kynan on Tome of Treasures and I didn't think to check the General, that picture is brilliant, nice work! Now I understand why the key refers to color coding and the map. The small map I have doesn't have color coding. The big blown up map was probably colored-in for easier visuals.

Observers must have had the introduction, key, and small map to follow along while novice players "carefully selected" by Gary play in the live event.

It looks like there are multiple maps up on the board in the picture or is it one huge map turned on edge? They are certainly in the same style of the map I have.

So July of 1976 its is and standing room only - how many copies is that?

Paul, question about the 'small map'. How similar is it to Gary's 'Level 1' map from his con game for the EnWorld moderators in 2007?

As I posted over on DF, Jon Peterson played in one of your games at Gary Con, and he made his player's map public as part of this article.
Here is the image, rotated and cropped to the map:

Interestingly, this matches almost exactly with a portion of the 'dungeon level 1' photo from the Enworld con game.
I took an annotated version of that map (by Benoist) from the Knights & Knaves thread and added more annotations showing where Jon's map lines up:

The red rooms are locations from the Enworld game. The black lines represent the map made by Jon, shown above.
So at least a portion of the map from your game is strikingly similar to a portion of the map run by Gary for the EnWorld game.

This makes me curious as to how similar the two are overall, particular since your map is from the '70s and Gary's was using this one in 2007, suggesting a long usage of that map.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:05 pm 

Details now available for FrankenParty II (25 March 2015).

Will send detailed PDF instructions when you sign up. :)
And/or just email a request. ExxTSR [at] google mail

garycon.com • View topic - FrankParty II

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 pm 

I know this is more appropriate for the classifieds but if anyone is interested in the TSR Store Display that I have up for sale:

FS TSR Store Display, stuff in shrink, etc

and is going to GaryCon, I have a friend who can deliver it there.  Because of the size of this thing, the shipping is expensive so this would be a fair bit in savings.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:44 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote in GaryCon 2014:Hey All,
I have a larger report with pictures but have not quite finished it yet.

Paul, did you ever finish and/or post your Gary Con VI report/picture anywhere?

Z

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:18 am 

oops

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Previous