Legends of the Lance newsletter
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:32 pm 

I know this has been talked about in the past.  Five issues printed by TSR and  also made available as PDFs and later issues only as downloadable PDFs.  Previous discussion generally went along the lines of the printed copies being worthless since PDFs were available.

Personally, I think the printed newsletters are still collectable and still undervalued.  The recent auction for 1-4 sold for $87.  They have always taken some time to get a full set but lately it seems like they don't come up as often.

Just curious what the concensus is these days?  Not worth the paper they are printed on, or ramping up as a hard-to-find collectible in years to come?

Also, are these listed on the Acaeum somewhere?  I can't find them with the other Periodicals.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:54 pm 

Only the blurb listed on this page:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpag ... lance.html

... and repeated here:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodi ... tters.html

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:55 pm 

See this discussion, too:

about3191.html

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 pm 

"To dispel several questions we've received:  a newsletter supporting the DragonLance campaign was released in the late 1990's, entitled Legends of the Lance.  All of the issues were at one point downloadable (as .PDF's) on the WotC web site.  Because of this, they are collectably worthless, and are not included here."

One could make a couple of arguments here:

1.  The PDFs haven't been available for some time now making the print copies the only items that can be obtained legally.

2. Collectors prefer print copies rather than PDFs.  Orange B3 has been and is still available as a downloadable PDF from WotC and I don't think anyone would argue that an original print edition is collectably worthless.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:23 pm 

Mars wrote:1.  The PDFs haven't been available for some time now making the print copies the only items that can be obtained legally.

If the pdfs were given away for free at one point, would continued sharing be illegal?  Interesting thought.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:34 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:If the pdfs were given away for free at one point, would continued sharing be illegal?  Interesting thought.

A publisher retains the rights of the work and how they are distributed.  I don't think any of the content was put into the "public domain" so technically, I don't think it was ever legal to share the PDFs.

However, it was legal for anyone to download them from TSR so who cared how they were obtained.  When TSR removed them from their website, it was no longer legal to download them - they had stopped distribution.  Today, who can tell if a copy was legally download or passed on from a friend.  But just because the crime is easily covered doesn't change the legality of it.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:49 pm 

The danger is that it would be pretty easy to print out the (black-and-white) PDF and sell it as an "original".  It'd be hard to tell the difference, too.  Not so much an issue with something like B3, that had a cardstock cover, color printing, etc.

Foul

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm 

Mars wrote:Today, who can tell if a copy was legally download or passed on from a friend.

That would seem to be the crux of it.

*shrug*

I just think it raises thought provoking questions about how copyright intersects with digital material.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:The danger is that it would be pretty easy to print out the (black-and-white) PDF and sell it as an "original".

Legends of the Lance would be very difficult to reproduce.  The printed ones are full colour with a lot of detail - they are by far the nicest looking newsletter put out by TSR.

I think even with PDFs available the printed copies stand as a good collectible.  If nothing else, I don't really like the stance the statement posted on the Acaeum pages takes.  I would rather put up pictures of the print copies and state they were also available as PDFs along with the rest of the issues and leave the market to decide if they are collectible or not.  Typically, these do sell for $10-$20 each.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:11 pm 

Mars wrote:The recent auction for 1-4 sold for $87.  They have always taken some time to get a full set but lately it seems like they don't come up as often.

That was my fault. :oops:

LotL issue #4 is the only Dragonlance game product I don't already have in my collection, so I was quite determined to win that auction. Not only have they appeared seldom on ebay in recent years, but I'm geographically disadvantaged, so when something I really want comes up and that the seller is prepared to ship my way, I bid enthusiastically.  :twisted:

Which brings me to note that I'm now going to end up with spare copies of issues #1-#3, so if anyone here needs any of those to complete a set, drop me a note.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:49 pm 

I figure I'll ask the same question here:

I was randomly perusing the tsr archive and I hit the newszines.  Noww i just checked and have issues 1-5 but i was a little surprised there were html only issues of 6-9.  For the life if me I don't recall these.

RPG GEEK LISTING
Dragonlance Nexus

So, did anyone get a hold of these digital only mags?  Are they worth anything?  Any links to 6-9?  I'm batting 0.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:50 pm 

Legends of the Lance
issue 6

Roleplaying Games - Dragonlance
issue 7

issue 8

issue 9

Hope that helps

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:57 pm 

the last 3 links seem to be the same... maybe not the best links

If someone has the pdf links I would also be interested :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:10 pm 

sheafoehammer wrote in Legends of the Lance newsletter:the last 3 links seem to be the same... maybe not the best links

If someone has the pdf links I would also be interested :)

I'd like the PDFs too if anyone saved them back in the day.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:42 pm 

The html ones should be easy to turn into pdfs.  They are pretty short esp #9.  I wasn't expecting 1-5 to be pdfs (saves me the work for self archive unless they are poorly done.  I don't know why 2 issue #1 were mailed to me.  Annoyed at rough pobox handling.  Back then they really ruined my Realms of Fantasy magazines.

This is awesone nontheless.  Thank you very much.  

Cheers

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:22 am 

McDeath wrote in Legends of the Lance newsletter:The html ones should be easy to turn into pdfs.  They are pretty short esp #9.  I wasn't expecting 1-5 to be pdfs (saves me the work for self archive unless they are poorly done.  I don't know why 2 issue #1 were mailed to me.  Annoyed at rough pobox handling.  Back then they really ruined my Realms of Fantasy magazines.

This is awesone nontheless.  Thank you very much.  

Cheers

I don't know how to get decent quality PDFs from html.
Also, my I couldn't download the 1-5 pdfs from the website. Seem to return faulty pdfs to me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 pm 

Yeah, I just noticed this as I haven't had computer net for weeks.  I finally get a chance to download but they're dead.  Some art on the html links are dead too.  Its going to be an effort to piece those together.  I guess this means I still will be scanning then.  UGH!  I was hoping they'd work as my scanjobs aren't great.  Damnit.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:07 pm 

in Legends #6 The Songs of Krynn
Has art done by Barbara Holmes.  The file link is called http://www.wizards.com/lance/6/images/tasolace.jpg

So a Tasslehoff pic I guess?

An Open Letter from Steve Miller
The pic http://www.wizards.com/lance/6/images/stevepic.jpg

is also missng.

Issue #7
Jean Rabes Picture is missing
http://www.wizards.com/dragonlance/imag ... Pic_JR.jpg

"he is presently busy crafting a three-novel sequel, starring Dhamon, the haunted protagonist of her first trilogy."  So a pic around that time I guess.

This Date accesses all the pages I could find of the htmls though 5 is borked but it seems we have the pdf.  Still.. damn that #1

http://www.wizards.com/dragonlance/DL_LOL_Archive.asp

I did find a temp link for 2-5 (sorry nothing for 1)
Wayback Machine
Wayback Machine
Wayback Machine
Wayback Machine

I'll try to get a good scan of #1 and put them into archives.  It will take a little bit to make the others into a pdf.  I'll either do a special screenshot cut/paste or something.  A few don't have covers so I don't know what to do there.  If someone does have the Lotl1.pdf do upload a link.  Putting these all into a single zip and archived will be great.

lol.. I persist.  last attempt and this popped up.  Not surprising I suppose:
Issue 1

Bonus - The Art of Matthew Stawicki :: MattStawicki.com

Next