Chainmail 3rd Edition 1st Print by TSR
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:03 pm 

Howdy All,

Just got a magazine advertising TSR's new products released in May of 1975 including: The Strategic Review, Tractics, and Chainmail.

The Chainmail advertised is described as having a "flashy silver cover" and shows an image of what the Acaeum considers the 3rd edition 2nd print (saddlestitched, silver cover, "GK" logo).

Since the rights to the former Guidon Games titles were purchased in April and the ad for the Chainmail with a "flashy silver cover" is from May, I am now firmly convinced that there is no such thing as the currently listed yellow-orange cover "GK" logo TSR 3rd edition 1st print.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:13 pm 

Has anyone ever even claimed to have whats listed as a current "3rd edition 1st print"? Also, Foul typically lists credits for the people who helped out with the items listed and there is zero "thank you"s on the site currently for it.  

Just rereading the description currently on the site, it almost seems to me that there is a good chance that there is some confusion with it whenever it was originally listed, so I have a tendency to agree with you.

*waits for David to check in*

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:37 pm 

Posted Aug. 12, 2003, after Scott won a 1st print woody on ebay that apparently included a Chainmail:

enkidu wrote:BTW, you could tell it's a first printing because the covers were a different

kind of paper than the later printings: they used hard, smooth, almost shiny

card stock.

Congrats to Foulfoot on the good catch.  Maybe he can update the Chainmail

page with a picture of what a 1st printing of the 3rd edition looks like (not

spiral bound?)  And that mint Greyhawk 1st is a much nicer example than what

the gallery shows at the moment.

It sounds like this might have been a saddle-stitched, silver Chainmail.  If that's the case, where did the description of an orange 3rd edition 1st print come from?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:43 pm 

Raising this 12 year old thread from the dead.

Has anyone ever been able to place the listed "1st print" 3rd Edition Chainmail as listed on the site. Granted, I have was out of the lop here ofor a better part of several years, but I have yet to see a single solitary one of these as described on the site:

https://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpag ... nmail.html

3rd Edition

First (1975)
       Published by Tactical Studies Rules
       44 total pages (all numbered)
       Binding is stapled
       Cover is yellow-orange, and has now reverted back to heavy parchment-like paper
       Cover has the GK (Gygax/Kaye) logo
       Cover states 3rd Edition, and says "Tactical Studies Rules"
       Cover lists the price ($5.00)
       No Product Code on the front cover bottom left
       Inside indicates First printing
       Contains references to Hobbits and Ents (quick check: table on bottom of page 28)

Does this actually exist?  

I strongly suspect that it does not, but would love confirmation one way or another.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 am 

I've sold at least two, possibly four (stapled silvers) as auctioneer, over 40 years.
Decide for yourself whether it exists. :)

F

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:06 pm 

ExTSR wrote in Chainmail 3rd Edition 1st Print by TSR:I've sold at least two, possibly four (stapled silvers) as auctioneer, over 40 years.
Decide for yourself whether it exists. :)

F

I'm holding a silver stapled right now. :) The listing on the site though lists that print as a "second print", not a first as I believe it should.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:06 pm 

Bumping again, just to be extra thorough. Based on the discussion in this specific thread, as well as here:

Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Chainmail Print Research

It appears that the "1st print 3rd edition" as listed on the site here:

https://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpag ... nmail.html

Is incorrect, as the listed 1st printing does not actually exist:

3rd Edition

First (1975)
       44 total pages (all numbered)
       Binding is stapled
       Cover is yellow-orange, and has now reverted back to heavy parchment-like paper
       Inside indicates First printing
       Contains references to Hobbits and Ents (quick check: table on bottom of page 28)

I also spoke briefly with David(harami2000/Faro) on Ebay a couple of months ago, who conveyed these feelings as well.  Based on my own research/experience, as well as everyone else's in the two listed threads, the 1st printing of the 3rd edition Chainmail from TSR, the information listed for the 2nd print on the site here actually is for the real first print 3rd edition Chainmail:

Second

44 total pages
   Binding is stapled
   Cover is now light silver
   Inside does not indicate any printing number
   Thanks to T.S. McDuffie for help with this info

If someone, anyone, actually has a copy that matches the 1st print 3rd edition as listed on the site here, could you please post a scan of your copy here in this thread?  Presuming that as anticipated this "printing" does not actually exist, Scott, on your next site update, could you please make the correction to eliminate the listed 1st print of the 3rd edition Chainmail, and list what is now currently set as the "2nd Print" to be the real 1st printing of the 3rd edition Chainmail?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:48 pm 

I will do so.  Odds are, of course, that it will immediately be followed by emails from three people who confirm they have copies.  :(

I promise, I don't make these things up out of thin air.  The submission has been lost to time, but someone did write in and specify those details.  It blows my mind that people would lie about something like that.  (Another example was the Tracy Hickman Vampyr submission -- granular details about a module that has been confirmed never existed).

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:32 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Chainmail 3rd Edition 1st Print by TSR:I promise, I don't make these things up out of thin air.  The submission has been lost to time, but someone did write in and specify those details.  It blows my mind that people would lie about something like that.  (Another example was the Tracy Hickman Vampyr submission -- granular details about a module that has been confirmed never existed).

I wouldn't completely write of Vampyr quite yet, Scott....

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:47 pm 

If you know something I don't, please tell!  https://www.acaeum.com/library/research.html

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 pm 

grodog wrote in Chainmail 3rd Edition 1st Print by TSR:
I wouldn't completely write of Vampyr quite yet, Scott....

Allan.

What in the world does this cryptic little gem mean Allan? Remember, this is how rumors get started.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:28 pm 

Oh, and I have always assumed that the Acaeum listing for the 3rd edition 1st print of chainmail was wrong. I have never heard of a non-Silver colored version.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:19 am 

stratochamp wrote in Chainmail 3rd Edition 1st Print by TSR:Oh, and I have always assumed that the Acaeum listing for the 3rd edition 1st print of chainmail was wrong. I have never heard of a non-Silver colored version.

Agreed.

With regards to that Vampyr thing though, that does exist in its tournament form, just not as a real published module (right?).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:41 pm 

Guessing Black Blade has something in the works. :D