Buying stuff because of what you saw on the wiki
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 pm 

Has anyone purchased anything they might not have at a brick-and-mortar store because of something they saw on the wiki?

Just curious.

Kingdoms of Kalamar seems to have a lot of purchases according to the Price Index.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 pm 

No, but I don't even look at the wiki... I know there have been a lot of updates, but I still don't peek. Have too many other things to hunt down.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:38 am 

I have become interested in buying things others have posted /written about. A lot of the newer games posted I knew nothing about before the Wiki.

Serleran, yes that is both a positive and negative - getting interested in other RPGs before you complete the ones you're collecting - but I tend to do that all the time anyway.

How are your Shadowrun and Earthdawn collections - you said you might put them on at some stage. I had one friend back in my undergrad days who was a total Shadowrun fan - would be interested to learn more about them!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:46 am 

I found the Wiki helpful to figure out what LA stuff I still needed/need and what was out there (that I probably don't have a chance of getting).  I hadn't really picked up a lot of LA stuff and it is becoming very difficult to find.

I don't usually pick up too much stuff from the brick-and-mortar store because over here, most things are priced above cover so I usually end up going for online alternatives.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:55 am 

For Earthdawn, since I am only interested in 1st edition, I would say it is 99% complete -- I have all the books and Journals, but am missing promo stuff. I know there were at least 7, and I have only 2 of them. Stuff sent out to retailers, to entice them to buy the product, I guess.

And, then, for Shadowrun, aside from a couple books (down to 6 needed, I believe,) and 3 Ka Ge Magazines, it is finished as well. I'm still deciding if I want to pursue collecting 4th Edition, but it is still in print making the books more expensive than I want to pay, considering I don't even know if I want them. Likewise, I am missing some retail-only promo material.

Heck I think it would rule if we could get an Acaeum FASA subweb. :) They are historically significant to the RPG industry.

I would post scans and all that, but I need to find a time when I have time.

But, yeah, I have this habit of finding out about something and then focusing on that for a while, leaving what I really wanted to the side... I need to stay committed to what I'm already looking for (which is a lot of stuff -- mostly non-TSR) before I jump into yet another collection.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.