Acaeum Wiki
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:41 am 

One more question. Do the OSRIC modules require ownership of AD&D1E sets to play or is there a master/rules book?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:35 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:One more question. Do the OSRIC modules require ownership of AD&D1E sets to play or is there a master/rules book?

You can get the book for free online, or I think they have it in print now.  Google it and you should easily find it.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:58 am 

Thanks for the info and links. I've read up on OSRIC now and I think if we put it on the wiki it should be under its own game category. As OSRIC itself never refers expressly to AD&D1E, I think we should not categorise it under AD&D1E, but write in the description article how it originated and how the two are linked.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:38 am 

Kersus wrote:
OSRIC was an RPG rules system made from the OGL to allow for the publishing of AD&D 1e modules again commercially.  So, they're 1e, but they're officially OSRIC as a system/game and OSRIC does differ slightly from AD&D for legal reasons.  I'm not the expert on it, but that's the gist of it as I understand it.  There are other similar games with commercially available product like Labrynth Lord (BD&D), GORE(BRP), etc...  Some are brand new games like Mutant Future and Sorcery & Swordplay.  A quick search on lulu for OSRIC will show you what I mean.  Some of these are in distribution as well like the XRP OSRIC modules I bought at my FLAGS.

K

And what is now interesting is that people play "OSRIC" rules driven games, when it was just fashioned as a means of writing 1E adventures and never intended as a actual-use rules system.  But a lot of people like it because it's organized well, distills 1E down to it's core, easy to use, and it's FREE...you can print out copies and email them out or hand them out instead of everyone having to dig out or buy old rulebooks.

Labyrinth Lord, in comparison, is it's own rules system, although it is geared more towards BD&D than 1E.  However, LL is meant to be used as a rules system AND a way to write BD&D adventures.  I have a lot of fondness for the retro clones, they are easy to use (actually easier than the original rulebooks) and lots of fun.  Regardless, it would be nice to have entries for all these.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:13 pm 

Cool, I have a pile of OSRIC Modules and just wanted to make sure it was okay before I added them.  I'm good with it being it's own game as it's rules do slightly differ from 1e.  OSRIC 2 is on it's way out soon in print.

There is a whole movement of these retro-clone style games now.

K

Furiously Eclectic People
The first taste is free!  Then it's just fun!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 am 

This follows on from my questions on Dungeon magazine above. At some point between issue 80 and 83, D&D 3E is introduced. In Dungeon#83, adventures are referred to as D&D as opposed to AD&D. In that issue one adventure states explicitly it is 3E and the others do not. Are those not explicitly designated as such still AD&D 2nd edition or are they all in fact 3E?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:35 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:This follows on from my questions on Dungeon magazine above. At some point between issue 80 and 83, D&D 3E is introduced. In Dungeon#83, adventures are referred to as D&D as opposed to AD&D. In that issue one adventure states explicitly it is 3E and the others do not. Are those not explicitly designated as such still AD&D 2nd edition or are they all in fact 3E?

Hermit;

The cutoff is pretty straightforward. Starting with Dungeon #82, everything from that point on is 3E, no exceptions, whether it states it or not.

Dungeon #81 contains the last 2E content; everything after that is for D&D 3E.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:44 am 

Thanks Mike!

I have a question also about the first issue where Dungeon and Polyhedron were merged, i.e Dungeon 90 and Polyhedron 149.

The Polyhedron parts seems to be entirely a stand alone d20 game called Pulp Heroes. Here is my first attempt at the description:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Polyhedron_149

Does anyone know if the authors are real people? It has some ordinary names like Michael and Dirk Chambers, but there is an Archibald McKill and Sir Ian Pensingstoke, which given the tongue-in-cheek character of the issue, seem fictional. If they are pseudonyms, anyone know more about who was behind the design of this issue?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:43 pm 

Problem solved. The Paizo website credits just three of the authors: David Noonan, Karl Hammerton and Sylvia Fox-Renard. At this stage I will just credit those three.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 am 

Hi all,

Just a quick update on Dungeon magazine on the Acaeum Wiki.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Category:Dungeon

A total of 83 of the 150 issues have now been put up. I have done most of these, but have no more yet in my collection. I do one day plan to have and read them all, but that may take a while. If anyone wants to jump in and help get the rest of them up you are most welcome to do so. As we have a good template, it is just a matter of copying it and filling in the gaps.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:51 pm 

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note. I will be away for three days at a conference (in a rural town sans email). If anyone wants to sign up over the next few days, please PM grubbiv in my absence as an alternate to grant your editor status.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:07 pm 

Some new features were added to the wiki recently:

Product Categories

There is now a product_category attribute in the Printing template.  This addresses Rakeesh's post:

what are modules what are rulesets?? try telling with 400 items if have no Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition (module) cat or such

For examples of use, see AD&D 2e and D&D 3e.

A difficulty with product categories is there are a lot of synonyms in the industry: adventures, modules, scenarios.  I don't think we need to use a single term for the entire wiki: instead use whatever term is printed on the product, or whatever is standard for the game in question.  Also, use the plural form to be consistent with other categories on the wiki.

Intersections

To make the product_category attribute useful, I added the ability to display the intersection of two categories.  The way to show the intersection of AD&D 2e and adventures is to create a page called

Intersect:Advanced_Dungeons_and_Dragons_2nd_Edition_and_Adventures

and put the following markup in the page:

Code:
<intersect>Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition|Adventures</intersect>

You can link that page with this syntax:

Code:
{{I|Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition|Adventures}}

Sometimes it is useful to set up a page that shows the intersection of a game and a company: e.g. D&D 3E and Goodman Games.

Default Sort Order

Pages in category lists are sorted by page name, which is the same as the product name.  There are two common cases where this produces an undesirable sort order: (1) names which start with the definite article "The", and (2) series such as periodicals with numbers in them.  The latter is bad because the sort is lexical, so Dragon 15 appears before Dragon 2.

It is possible to deal with this problem by specifying the desired sort order each time {CL| ... }} is used to categorize the item.  That is a lot of work, though.

Now you can specify the sort order once for all categories on the page using

{{DEFAULTSORTORDER:Adventure Begins, The}}

or

{{DEFAULTSORTORDER:Dragon 002}}

ISBN

The Printing template also has an isbn attribute, useful for newer products.  You can turn an ISBN into a link to the Amazon detail page for the product using this syntax

{{Amazon|078693946X}}

For an example, see Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

This helps prevent typos and Amazon may have the product for sale.  Since Amazon has an open API, I may eventually upgrade the template to display the number of items and the cheapest price so the user doesn't have to click thru to check Amazon for inventory.

Front Page and User Stats

For those interested in the progress of the wiki, I added some stats to the front page in the lower right.  If you want to track your personal contributions, you can add this to your user page (replace my handle with your own):

Code:
<userstats>Grubbiv</userstats>

Ampersand Fix

A few people ran in to a problem where they created a page with an ampersand (&) in the name, but then couldn't navigate to the page because of the redirection performed by the webserver.  I don't have admin access to the webserver, so I can't fix the redirection problem, but I was able to prevent these pages from getting created by making the ampersand an impermissible character in page names.

Last edited by grubbiv on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:39 pm 

I've been working on an auction tracker.  Before I spend any more time working on it, I would like to get a sense for whether people would use it and how much.  There is a link to a survey at the bottom of the post.

The auction tracker would work a little bit like AuctionSieve, except that it would be a web application, not a downloaded app.  The user would be able to specify an ebay search query and get the search results displayed.  For each auction, the user could specify the item(s) and their condition.  The auction would then be added to the database.  Like AuctionSieve, the auction tracker would remember the auctions the user has already looked at and not display them in future searches.

When the auction closes, the software could determine whether it sold, and if so the price.  We could then display average prices on the wiki, and the discerning collector could click thru to see the entire auction history.  We could also display open auctions for an item on the wiki too.

Items would be specified via drop down menus.  There would be some setup involved to create the drop downs: someone would have to come up with an authoritative list for each game we wanted to track, and that person would have to decide whether it is worthwhile to track certain printings separately.

Anyway, because implementation will likely consume several more weekends, I want to gauge interest first.  To do that I set up a quick seven question survey.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:42 pm 

What is a "product authority"?

Is it some one who knows that particular game line inside and out?
That's a far cry from what I am.

What do you mean classifiying acutions?

An I believe all open RPG actions should be displayed, not just ones no one has an interst in buying. (If you have an interest, say so, and maybe we can keep our hands off of it for you.)

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 am 

jkason wrote:What is a "product authority"?

Is it some one who knows that particular game line inside and out?
That's a far cry from what I am.

What do you mean classifiying acutions?

By classifying an auction, I mean choosing the item and the condition from drop down boxes.  There's not going to be a write-in option on this ballot, so someone needs to come up with the list of products for each game that is tracked.  If that person owns all the items, great, but the info can be gathered by searching the tubes or looking at dead-tree resources like Heroic Worlds.

Anyway, the questions in the survey are now more verbose and hopefully clearer.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 pm 

Just to add to grubbiv's reply, I do not think the person needs to be an expert as such, just to have a good knowledge of the contents of a particular product line and a commitment to building knowledge of that line.

I must say that grubbiv's work building an auction tracker and linking it to product valuation is a stroke of genius.

I have been a member of the Judges Guild valuation board. Monitoring prices has involved meticulous trawling of existing and closed auctions and copying a lot of detail into a spreadsheet. With grubbiv's auction tracker, you simply find open auctions, put them on the list with a grading and the detail automatically goes into the product database and updates prices on the webpage. It is a fraction of the work we are doing on the Judges Guild valuations and will allow us to monitor the prices of a lot of things easily.

I would say, if you are a real fan of a particular product line, sign up for that line. All that needs to be done is a complete list relating to that game placed in the dbase and once a week identifying open auctions and putting them in the tracker.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:07 pm 

I have been asked to upload some images so I have started doing so. It will be very slow, and likely start with all the C&C stuff -- right now, only two images have been uploaded, but at least it is more than there was. I will not be writing the articles covering C&C as that is just wrong (being as I work for the company...) but I can, and will, provide images of all the products.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:50 am 

serleran wrote:I will not be writing the articles covering C&C as that is just wrong (being as I work for the company...) but I can, and will, provide images of all the products.

Well, there are a lot of products without article text.  I'm rather nervous about starting some of them off myself -- it's always difficult to take the first "stab" at an article.  If you have time to submit articles, go ahead!  

I wouldn't worry about you being employed by TLG at all.  Your wealth of knowledge is welcomed, and far outweighs the concern, in my opinion.  Besides, there's enough of us with editor status that if anyone posted something obviously inaccurate and/or self-serving, it'd be caught in short order and fixed.

Hopefully people are comfortable editing each other's submissions, and having their own edited as well, without taking any such edits personally.

YIM  
PreviousNext