Acaeum Wiki
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:I would say thumbs down to early Kalamar as 2nd edition AD&D. I finally looked at a few of the earlier supplements and while VERY evocative of 2E they are not officially that game system and very obviously state they are for any RPG.  They seem to be pretty much in the "generic" category unless someone has evidence to the contrary (I only have a few of these).
I really think the "unlicensed" category is creating too much work.

Mike B.

Should we move them to "Universal Supplement"?
There's quite a few links there already, and we wouldn't have to create a new "game", per se.

Taken right from the back of "A Foe In Need" (It's on the other Kalamar Quest booklets, too):
This game adventure and supplement is suitable for use with any fantasy role playing system, including, but not limited to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Rolemaster, and HackMaster"

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 pm 

That's not quite as reliable as I would have hoped.  Personally, I don't think Living Kalamar had anything to do with the KotDT copyright issue with the Dragon Magazine Archive.  Here's why,

The Dragon Magazine archive is copyright 1999 and from what I can tell the Living Kalamar campaign didn't start until 2003.  That's a big time discrepancy.  This time frame also places Kalamar as an established campaign world for 3rd Edition, hence a good candidate for a Living campaign.  Also, the Living campaigns were not restricted to TSR/WotC campaigns.  Other companies had living campaigns before Living Kalamar came around.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:08 pm 

jkason wrote:
Should we move them to "Universal Supplement"?
There's quite a few links there already, and we wouldn't have to create a new "game", per se.

The wiki is growing quickly and as expected categorisation is proving a challenge. My one immediate concern in putting Kalamar items into 'Universal Supplements' is that it would be confusing. The Kalamar items would drown out the other small cottage supplements. And it will be useful to keep 'Kalamar' grouped.

One possibility (and I'll discuss this with grubbiv), would be to have two Super-Categories: 'Universal Supplements' and 'Generic Fantasy Systems' or something like that. These could be bold text links under games in the front page. 'Generic Fantasy Systems' could then hold 'Kalamar' and some of the other d20 companies that produce large numbers of supplements. 'Universal Supplements' could group the smaller, older cottage companies like Bard Games and Reily Associates.

Thoughts?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:09 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Thoughts?

I don't really like the idea of having two categories defined in this way.  It seems like items are placed into one category or the other based on a subjective opinion on the size of company or size of print run, etc.

With Kalamar, the early items seem to have a lower print run and are generic fantasy rpg adventures whereas their later items (some of which are modified versions of the earlier ones) are system specific to D20.  It sounds as if you want to place all of the Kalamar items into one category but they really fall into two such categories.

I understand the feel you are aiming with the two categories - something along the lines of a small press category and a mainstream one but again this will run into trouble when you hit companies like Ragnarok Enterprises that I would class as a small press company but have produced probably 50+ products and had a fanzine that also ran for 50 issues.  I would also class Bard Games as mainstream company - they also produced a number of books for Talislanta.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:11 pm 

So why not just classify the pre-3E Kalamar stuff as a "Universal Supplement" in the 'Game' slot, and classify the 3E stuff as such.

The 'Setting' slot will remain the same, and keep all the Kalamar stuff together, the only thing that would change is that the pre-3E stuff will show up under "Universal Supplement" rather than "AD&D2E"

As a whole, I Believe there were only the 10 adventures, the 1 GW book (Beneath the Waves), and the Box Set (which I haven't scanned ....yet) for pre-3E.

On the other hand, there's a whole butt-load of stuff for 3E Kalamar that I haven't even scanned into the computer yet. And they Just released the 4E setting as a 500+ page PDF.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:34 am 

jkason wrote:So why not just classify the pre-3E Kalamar stuff as a "Universal Supplement" in the 'Game' slot, and classify the 3E stuff as such.

The 'Setting' slot will remain the same, and keep all the Kalamar stuff together, the only thing that would change is that the pre-3E stuff will show up under "Universal Supplement" rather than "AD&D2E"

As a whole, I Believe there were only the 10 adventures, the 1 GW book (Beneath the Waves), and the Box Set (which I haven't scanned ....yet) for pre-3E.

On the other hand, there's a whole butt-load of stuff for 3E Kalamar that I haven't even scanned into the computer yet. And they Just released the 4E setting as a 500+ page PDF.

I agree with JK (trying to stifle my usual longwindedness) for just the reasons stated....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:15 am 

Solved then! - no major tweaking needed. Go ahead with your suggested classification jkason.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:11 pm 

Will do.

(Wow. I actually had an idea that was lucid after working all day - and was able to articulate it in such a way that someone actually agreed with me. Things are looking up.)

EDIT - Aw, Maaaan. Grubbiv beat me to it. That's OK though. It shows that there's an interest and desire to get it right.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 am 

Hey does anyone know if the author Allen Hammack is spelt:

Allan Hammack    or
Allen Hammack

I have come across two cases of the first version and two cases of the second version. He wrrote some articles in the early Dragons.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 am 

Here is another. Can anyone confirm if Glenn Rahman and G. Arthur Rahman are one and the same. I assume they are but it would be nice to have confirmation to be sure.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:59 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Hey does anyone know if the author Allen Hammack is spelt:

Allan Hammack    or
Allen Hammack

I have come across two cases of the first version and two cases of the second version. He wrrote some articles in the early Dragons.

"Allan" with an A.

Foul

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:17 am 

Thanks Foul! There are lots of name spelling variations in those early issues of Dragon. It is a bit of a challenge to figure some of them out.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:27 pm 

Hey, I noticed we have Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror genre categories, but I couldn't find Humour.  I have been adding to Comedy instead until we have something solid.  I didn't use Humour because then we have to argue over how it's spelled but Comedy is the same.  

As well, are we going to have a systems category like we have a games category or just have both all in the games category?

K

Furiously Eclectic People
The first taste is free!  Then it's just fun!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 pm 

Kersus wrote:Hey, I noticed we have Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror genre categories, but I couldn't find Humour.  I have been adding to Comedy instead until we have something solid.  I didn't use Humour because then we have to argue over how it's spelled but Comedy is the same.  

As well, are we going to have a systems category like we have a games category or just have both all in the games category?

K

We had started a 'genre' classification system when we first starting setting the Wiki up, but decided to wait until there were more items on the Wiki before putting it on the front page. You are correct that so far there are only Fantasy, SciFi and Horror genres at this stage, but we will need more. Comedy / Humour for sure. We will likely also need: Western, Comic book heroes and Espionage as well. Suggestions are welcome. If we agree on a broad genre classification system before implementing it, it will reduce the need for time-consuming adjustements later on.

Concerning systems, maybe others can jump in and offer suggestions. I have always been focussed on older games. A feature of RPGs in the 90s and beyond seems to be RPGs revolving around system as opposed to 'game' per se. I'd be interested in other peoples thoughts on this. It does tend to complicate classification.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 pm 

It may not matter alot, but even the old WEG games were based on respective systems like the D6 system or Masterbook system.  It gets a little whacky with them as they tended to modify their system for the game a bit more than other Universal systems.

Mythus would have been a good example if other Dangerous Journeys games had been put out.  

All the different Palladium games?  

The best example is likely all the Tri-Stat dX games from Guardians of Order.  They are all Tri-Stat, but each a different game.  BESM, Heaven & Earth, Silver Age Sentinels, etc...  So each is part of the Tri-Stat system, but each has their own series of books.  Although some are one-shot books too.

As quick Q, I haven't been adding any until I new, but what about OSRIC modules and that type of game book?  I've left them all out of my uploads so far until i knew you wanted them in the mix.

This is a great wiki!

K

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:45 am 

That is the great thing about the wiki is we can keep tweaking the way we categorise and link products. And it is so quick and easy to navigate around.

I must confess, I am not familiar with OSRIC modules, can you elaborate a little? I rarely buy new games, so do not have much post-Heroic Worlds RPG knowledge.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:35 am 

Update on 'Dungeon' on the Wiki.

Hi everyone. I have put the majority of issues #1 to #60 on the Wiki. I am missing #3, 4, 5, 48, 55 and 56. If anyone can put these in (or have some to sell me!) go ahead. I have just a smattering of the remaining issues between #61 and #150 (including #137 to #150), which I will put up in due course.

I am by no means a 'Dungeon' expert - I think that hat fits badmike better than me, so I have a few questions:

1. Is there a point where all the adventures become Second Edition? Through the 20's and 30's, it seems to state explicitly whether it is for Second Edition or not. After a while it is no longer mentioned, so in later issues, I have been signifying 2nd edition if it referred to a 2nd edition book or used terms like warrior and wizard instead of fighter and magic-user.

2. I assume I have the inserts right, but it is of course possible that I have 'new' looking magazines that are missing extras such as maps and pull-outs. Feel free to check what has been put up against your own collections and point out or correct any errors.

3. I have a question about Mystara. As I understand it, the realm of Mystara is the original setting from basic D&D, which in earlier mags seems to be referred to as the 'Known World'. Should all D&D adventures set in these realms be linked to Mystara?

Feel free to jump in and correct a mistake if you see one. The periodicals seem to have many variations of authors names.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:02 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I must confess, I am not familiar with OSRIC modules, can you elaborate a little?

OSRIC was an RPG rules system made from the OGL to allow for the publishing of AD&D 1e modules again commercially.  So, they're 1e, but they're officially OSRIC as a system/game and OSRIC does differ slightly from AD&D for legal reasons.  I'm not the expert on it, but that's the gist of it as I understand it.  There are other similar games with commercially available product like Labrynth Lord (BD&D), GORE(BRP), etc...  Some are brand new games like Mutant Future and Sorcery & Swordplay.  A quick search on lulu for OSRIC will show you what I mean.  Some of these are in distribution as well like the XRP OSRIC modules I bought at my FLAGS.

K

PreviousNext