Acaeum Wiki
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:54 am 

Added most of Lejendary Adventure's material tonight.  Still a few more scans to go.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:45 pm 

Hi there, I've been using Acaeum as a collecting resource for many years, and lurked in the forums for a couple years.  I do most of my chatting at Dragonsfoot and the Lejendary Adventure forums, but Acaeum is a beloved resource.  I am an ardent collector of all things 1e as well as all things Gygax.  I'll play any RPG but for some time have concentrated on 1e (and it's replicas) and Lejendary Adventure.

Soooo, I'm here to help make the LA section as complete as possible.  Deimos has done most of the work, but there are a few things I can add.

Thanks.

Kersus

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:17 pm 

So I've edited stuff and figured out how to create new entries, but I have a few questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to.

How do you delete a file you uploaded?
How do you rename a file you uploaded?

K

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 pm 

Kersus wrote:So I've edited stuff and figured out how to create new entries, but I have a few questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to.

K

Hi Kersus,

There isn't a way to move uploaded files, as far as I can tell. To get rid of an uploaded file, put a link to it in

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Requested_A ... _Deletions

and an admin will delete it.

I noticed that you started classifying the LA items as part of the 'Lejendary Earth' setting.  I don't know much about LA, but if all LA items are part of 'Lejendary Earth', then I wouldn't.  The reason is because people will peruse what is in the 'Lejendary Adventure' category, and then they'll go to the 'Lejendary Earth' category and get the same or nearly the same items, which will be boring.  It usually isn't useful to categorize by setting unless you're dealing with later editions of D&D.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:12 pm 

Kersus wrote:So I've edited stuff and figured out how to create new entries, but I have a few questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to.

K

Hi Kersus and welcome to the main site forums,

I've deleted my post as grubbiv and I answered your question almost simultaneously  :)

Last edited by HermitFromPluto on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:25 pm 

Thanks for the deletion info.

grubbiv wrote:I noticed that you started classifying the LA items as part of the 'Lejendary Earth' setting.  I don't know much about LA, but if all LA items are part of 'Lejendary Earth', then I wouldn't.  The reason is because people will peruse what is in the 'Lejendary Adventure' category, and then they'll go to the 'Lejendary Earth' category and get the same or nearly the same items, which will be boring.  It usually isn't useful to categorize by setting unless you're dealing with later editions of D&D.

That's a valid point, and it's possible it was a foolish move.  Not all LA material is specifically in LE.  Certain modules and accessories (a novel too) specifically state that they are, and others are just general.  There isn't really a ton of LA material yet, so it's hard to know what the future will bring and if there are ever to be more settings.  Thus far it's just LE and other.  The added complication that LE was devised to be able to incorporate any other setting within it's confines through portals.

I'm new to wiki and learning the language as well as the unwritten rules and such is coming to me.

Since the LA section is small it's easy to run around and make corrections to format and the like as well as altering things like whether to have a Lejendary Earth category.  

I'm also adding to the Hackmaster category and getting the hang of linking things back.  

I'm a learnin'.

K

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:08 am 

Posted Dragon 34 on the Wiki (available from the "periodicals" header on the left.)

Give me some feedback, good or bad. Or if this is what we're looking for, great.

Thanks.  (I'm off to bed now. It's 1:00 a.m. here.)

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:28 am 

jkason wrote:Posted Dragon 34 on the Wiki (available from the "periodicals" header on the left.)

Give me some feedback, good or bad. Or if this is what we're looking for, great.

I think it's fantastic, but looks lonely all by itself.  It'll be very handy later on if you can click on a contributor and locate all the Dragon articles they provided across the issues.

YIM  

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am 

It looks great. Entering the contents of the Dragon mags will be a fair bit more involved than for Dungeon. You may want to see if you can upgrade the quality of the contents page slightly as it is illegible. Is there an author for 'Doomkeep'? Did not see it in the contents.

Once the articles are categorised by author, you will be able to see which issues they contributed to. Check out Willie Walsh http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Category:Willie_Walsh

To get article listings by author is a little more challenging though. Need to think about that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:45 am 

jkason wrote:Posted Dragon 34 on the Wiki (available from the "periodicals" header on the left.)

Thanks.  (I'm off to bed now. It's 1:00 a.m. here.)

Oh man how serendipitous. Dragon #33 was the first issue I ever bought off the shelf, and Dragon #34 was the first subscription issue I ever received.  As you can see by the table of contents, I was overwhelmed with all the crunchy goodness (not to mention an adventure inside!!!)  Plus I had just bought Divine Right and all the extra rules were awesome. Nice to see it get the full treatment!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:03 pm 

Morning Mike - nice tidbits added to Dungeon's 33 and 37!!!  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:It looks great. Entering the contents of the Dragon mags will be a fair bit more involved than for Dungeon. You may want to see if you can upgrade the quality of the contents page slightly as it is illegible. Is there an author for 'Doomkeep'? Did not see it in the contents.

Once the articles are categorised by author, you will be able to see which issues they contributed to. Check out Willie Walsh http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Category:Willie_Walsh

To get article listings by author is a little more challenging though. Need to think about that.

I forgot to look inside the mag for the author - will do it today.

Sacn quality - 200 dpi.  Will see if I can get a better scan at 300 or 400 dpi.
Will the wiki allow an upload to overwrite?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 pm 

A couple of things:

I just put up Dungeon18 and notice that the original artwork for this issue is up on Ebay at the moment:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

1 hour 40 minutes to go, but hasn't met its reserve. That would certainly be a nice piece to have on the wall! http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Dungeon_18

I have been discussing with lucyjoyce this morning and we are going to make a category 'Dungeons and Dragons'. There are quite a few D&D items released in the 1990s, which are not on the Acaeum and these will be put here.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:01 pm 

jkason wrote:
I forgot to look inside the mag for the author - will do it today.

Sacn quality - 200 dpi.  Will see if I can get a better scan at 300 or 400 dpi.
Will the wiki allow an upload to overwrite?

It is hard to get a legible contents page in a small file size.  Mine are legible, but not perfect. I am scanning at 200dpi as well, but when converting my 'contents' page scans to jpgs, I have been clicking on options and upping the 'quality' of the save. Increasing dpi may be a better way to go - it again will depend on how much detail is lost when scaling down the image. I will experiment a bit more myself as well.

On the image page, you can click on 'upload a new version of this file' It will ask you to verify. If this does not work (it may be an admin only function), just change the name of the image on the product page and upload a new file. Use a slightly different name, e.g. Dragon34Ca

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:01 pm 

Doomkeep was written by Brian Blume (I put that in the wiki).
Wierd. It wasn't listed in the table of contents, but listed in the sidebar of the contents page (4th paragraph). his name appears nowhere on the module itslef.

Upladed a new image of the contents page (400dpi).
Had to download irfanview, as my old editing software could not handle the size of the file at that scan quality.

Irfanview rocks, btw.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Morning Mike - nice tidbits added to Dungeon's 33 and 37!!!  :)

Have I mentioned I REALLY like the wiki?  :D   Mostly because tidbits like that are floating around and it's great to have them all in one place.  I wish I had more time than to just hit and run every day for a few minutes....it's quite addictive!  

And lots more tidbits to come once more Dungeon/Dragon mags start going up....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:30 am 

Hello wiki editors:

A few short notes about how the categories work.  It is a two tier system, with regular categories and supercatgories.  A regular category can only contain non-category pages, and must belong to exactly one of these supercategories: 'Games, Settings, Periodicals, Companies, Years, People'.  A supercategory can only contain category pages.  This flat structure guarantees that the user can get to any page from the sidebar with 3 clicks (well, not quite, because some supercategories such as People span multiple pages).  Keeping to this scheme also ensures that the number of pages in each category (displayed on the main page) are correct.

We've put too much content (text/images) on some of the category pages, pushing the auto-generated listing almost below the fold in some cases, which is not good, since these pages are navigational aids, not full-fledged wiki articles.  I'm working on a standard format for the category pages.  For games, settings, and periodicals it will include some thumbnails and a few links, and hopefully won't consume more than 200px of vertical space.  So don't sink a lot of effort into the cat pages; I may undo it.

If someone is motivated to write at length about a game system, setting, or periodical, an option is to put the page in the Essay: namespace and put a link to it from the cat page.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:09 pm 

As I get time, I will be posting stuff covering both Shadowrun and Earthdawn, so now is the time to help me finish my collection. ;)

Technically, they are separate games and have different settings, yet they are tied to each. How would you like them listed?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

PreviousNext