Acaeum Wiki
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:BTW I have every dungeon issue, and scans of each, if I get time (yeh right) I will try to insert an adventure list for each one.  Also would be cool to have the contents list of each Dragon and Polyhedron easily at hand, up to the start of 3rd edition

No need, Jay Hafner's Dungeon index is available for download @ http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-cre ... tures.html (it's available in the 1st post in .doc format).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:19 pm 

cache is fine grodog http://tinyurl.com/5bbs8z egg quote better than guess ;) ;)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:55 pm 

The cover artist of Met Alpha is listed as Donald Sutherland instead of David Sutherland.

:lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:59 am 

zhowar wrote:The cover artist of Met Alpha is listed as Donald Sutherland instead of David Sutherland.

:lol:

Good catch.  Invasion of the cover artist snatchers.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 am 

Guys I posted a little "info" on DCC #51.5 The Sinister Secret of Whiterock as a way of showing what I think the descriptions should eventually resemble (yeh, presumptious of me I know.... 8O ). As you can see the "linking" process is very low on my priority list (plus I'm a Computer Caveman, etc etc), please feel free to clean it up if you wish.  Any suggestions as to style or content changes would be welcome.....I have no idea what the preferred format is, just thought I would list all the info and tidbits about the item I could in coherent form.  I expect descriptions like this will eventually get cleaned up by the true wiki/DCC/RPG experts, just thought I'd try my hand and doing one of these to see how it will eventually work.

I expect special DCC editions (3.5, 12.5 1E version, 17.5, 20.5) will need lots of links and talking points due to their status as the "rarest" of the DCC line.

Very fun to do these!  Gets addictive after awhile....I'm losing work time messing with this dammit.... 8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:02 am 

Rakeesh, why do you know so much about wikis?

I created a template called Shell and I used it here:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Tomb_of_Horrors

If people want to create Shell pages to various Acaeum pages so that authors have a more complete list of credits, it wouldn't be too much work.  It doesn't result in the best browsing experiencing because you have to click twice to get to content, but I might eventually be able to rig up an offsite redirect.

The current infobox is at

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Template:Printing

Feel free to design a replacement at say Template:NewPrinting and shop it around.  If people like it we can replace the old one with it.  I didn't create a vertical infobox that floats off to the right because a lot of the pages don't have text to flow around the infobox.

The strategy I've been using with content on the category pages is to keep it short so it doesn't push the category list below the fold.  Links can be added to pages with more content if necessary.  I'm open for suggestions on how to do it better, though.

For the rulebook vs module problem: we can add Rules and Modules as categories, but there is not a wiki extension for category intersections, so I'm going to have to write the code myself if people want to see the list of AD&D 2E Modules.  Which I probably will do, but I'm waiting until there is enough content that it is actually a problem.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 pm 

Badmike wrote:Guys I posted a little "info" on DCC #51.5 The Sinister Secret of Whiterock as a way of showing what I think the descriptions should eventually resemble (yeh, presumptious of me I know.... 8O ).

That is great Mike. It provides clear straightforward factual information on the module, and additional info I am sure is available nowhere else on the net. I like it! As there are two printings of that module, you could make two printing blocks: one with 'The Sinister Secret of Whiterock, Free Version' and 'The Sinister Secret of Whiterock, Priced Version, so you can showcase pictures of both versions.

Badmike wrote:Very fun to do these!  Gets addictive after awhile....I'm losing work time messing with this dammit.... 8O

Tell me about it! I'm in the last four months or so of my PhD - but don't say I didn't warn you!  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 pm 

Badmike wrote:Perhaps a spot on the Wiki, or here,  can be devoted to someone wishing to flesh out/cover a particular area of collectible RPGs?  That way we wouldn't have to worry about a lot of duplication of effort.  I'm quite willing to jump in wherever some info is needed, or simply clean up existing descriptions if necessary.  As I said I'd like to finally see complete contents pages for all the TSR periodicals up to 1999 or so; saves me the trouble of digging through the Dragon archive...or in the case of Dungeon and Poly, where no database readily exists, finally having a good spot to go when you have a question.

Mike,

posting here probably has a the most visibility, but I also added a community portal link to the wiki sidebar which can be used as a discussion page for the wiki as a whole.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:23 pm 

Good suggestions, Hermit...didn't realize I could do the "two printings" thing but now of course it's obvious.

While I have thousands of scans, I have lots of stuff I haven't scanned or that I've deleted over the years. Rather than scan a bunch of new stuff in, I'll probably just fill in holes as I come across them...using scans I already made and items close at hand.  It'll probably be haphazard but it'll save me doing a lot of additional work right now.  After having fun with the Wiki the last few days, I'll have to reluctantly pull back and fill in spaces when I have the time.  But I'll be plugging along filling in spaces as I have the time....!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:26 pm 

Woohoo!

I'm on Board!

(Where to start......AH HA!)

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 pm 

So. I just fixed somthing, but a new "setting" was not created (Kingdoms of Kalamar). How does this happen?

Also, the thing I edited (Secret Temple of Adajy) was listed in the "Orphaned" section. WTF? Did I goof?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 am 

jkason wrote:So. I just fixed somthing, but a new "setting" was not created (Kingdoms of Kalamar). How does this happen?

Also, the thing I edited (Secret Temple of Adajy) was listed in the "Orphaned" section. WTF? Did I goof?

Hello jkason,

When you click on "Kingdoms of Kalamar", you get dropped into an edit form to create the category page.  If you add

[[Category:Setting]]

and then hit th "Save Page" button, then "Kingdoms of Kalamar" will appear in the list of settings.

Orphaned pages have no other pages linking to them, and thus are theoretically unreachable.  However, category pages aren't used for determining this,  so I'm not sure this is such a big deal.

It is a better user experience to surf directly from product page to product page rather than from product to category to product, assuming the product pages are where the good content is.  So I link other related products in the description when I think of it, and if one were in the mood to improve cross-linking,  http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Special:Lonelypages is useful.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 pm 

OK. Cool.

It took a little bit (hang time, I guess), and it was starting to freak me out (I though I "broke" the wiki).

But, it showed up, and now it's cool.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 pm 

OK.

Took me a few tries, but I think I got this whole "Wiki" thing.

New "Kingdoms of Kalamar" entry, cross-linked with the old one.

(congradulate me)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:58 pm 

Congrats on your first page, jkason! It's great.

On another note, we are going to put Dungeon on the Wiki. We are experimenting a little with formatting on this as it will probably end up being a frequently used resource. Here is a sample page:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Dungeon_29

The idea is to have:
- notable features about the issue described at the top.
- Instead of front and back - front and contents page
- A contents list with adventures and authors under that
- A table showing # and level of players, game system, and setting

If anyone feels so inclined comments are welcome. Is the information presented adequate? Would people like to see more detailed descriptions of indiviudal adventures? Any suggestions on presentation and format?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:19 am 

A few more Kalamar pages up.

Dungeon on the wiki?  Schweet!

Maybe just get 'em all up for now, and more content/more detailed description later. But yeah, a synopsis for each adventure would be cool.

Are we going to do Dragon and Polyhedron, too? I know they were covered here, although not as in depth, and not across all editions.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:37 am 

One more thing,

Dungeon issues 1 to 27 are listed at The Acaeum with valuations

Have these "valuations" ever been changed or updated (including Dragon or Polyhedron)?  I didn't think this was something the Acaeum was actively keeping up on.

Also, I don't think "valuation" is quite the word you are looking for.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:09 pm 

jkason wrote:A few more Kalamar pages up.

Dungeon on the wiki?  Schweet!

Maybe just get 'em all up for now, and more content/more detailed description later. But yeah, a synopsis for each adventure would be cool.

Are we going to do Dragon and Polyhedron, too? I know they were covered here, although not as in depth, and not across all editions.

I think we should.  Would save the trouble of reaching for the big box (in the case of Polys) or the Dragon archive (in the case of Dragon mags) whenever I have a question.....!

BTW, the Dungeon (with the table of contents) entry looks great!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext