Acaeum Wiki
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:16 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I am heading back up to my PhD-writing mountain hideaway.

I wish I had one of those.  My 1 bedroom apartment with computer beside the TV and 2 dogs always running around is hindering progress greatly.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 am 

Mars wrote:
I wish I had one of those.  My 1 bedroom apartment with computer beside the TV and 2 dogs always running around is hindering progress greatly.

Man it will be great when I finish, I am slowly clawing my way there!

Back online.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:13 am 

Just a thought concerning our periodical listings on the Wiki. A key query that comes up often in the threads concerns 'extras' - posters, maps and other inserts that came with the magazines. It would probably be quite easy to build an insert index or list. If anyone has some ideas concerning how to format such an index/list post your ideas here.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:41 am 

Hey, sorry I've been gone for awhile.  I still have more to add to the wiki.  I haven't really been keeping up on changes, but I added the Heaven & Earth Page.  I put all three editions in one page....   I'll also be adding more data about the games and the people involved in them as well as their changing of hands as time permits.

The Wiki looks great BTW.

Furiously Eclectic People
The first taste is free!  Then it's just fun!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:33 am 

Hi Kersus, welcome back. I look forward to reading your new pages.

Yes, it is quite amazing how it has grown, we now have 1424 items and 3212 images! More than 10,000 hits as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:55 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Hi Kersus, welcome back. I look forward to reading your new pages.

Yes, it is quite amazing how it has grown, we now have 1424 items and 3212 images! More than 10,000 hits as well.

Wow, what a great project guys. As soon as the NTRPG Con is over I hope to add to it some more. As it is, I do use it almost everyday to look up something or for an item description on Ebay!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:59 am 

So what does one need to do to contribute to the Wiki site?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:10 am 

Eruantien wrote:So what does one need to do to contribute to the Wiki site?

Send a PM to either Hermit, or grubbiv asking to be allowed to join the Wiki as a Contributor/Editor.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:21 am 

I will try to get the scans of 3, 4, and 5 this week if I can.  I have a ton of other things I plan on adding as well.  This should end up being quite the project!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 pm 

Welcome aboard! You'll find it is quite addictive.

Even though I am terribly busy finishing a PhD thesis, I still enjoy the occasional 10 or 15 min a day, putting a new item on or adding to and editing items. Once the thesis is done, I will get back ot it more intensively and work on the valuation side of things.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:21 pm 

Whoever said this was addictive was a sadist.   8O   I was able to add a couple of Dungeon pages and it took HOURS.  Part of it was going through the learning curve but I am still very impressed with those that have added dozens of pages.  So less about addiction and more about a sense of accomplishment for me.

This evening I was screwing around with the Dungeon Magazine template on Dungeon 62.  
Please compare to the original template on Dungeon 2 and I believe a slightly modified template on Dungeon 56

I separated # of Characters from Levels.  Plus I added a Total Levels column since many adventures provided the information.  Finally, I added some adventure specific information at the bottom of the screen.  I don't remember using Total Levels much back in the day but didn't know if they would be useful.  I like the look of seperating # of Characters from Level but won't be offended if none of the changes appeal to the admin/majority.

I have a few questions that cropped up.
1) How can I change font size?  

2) What is the difference between the "CL" command and the "L" command?  Ex. |{{CL|Ravenloft}} vs. |{{L|Ravenloft}}
I started using CL for everything until I saw someone use just the L.  When I made the change I didn't notice any display differences.

3) Reading back through the thread, I am pretty sure I read that titles starting with "The" need to remain at the beginning: Ex: The Rat Trap and not Rat Trap, The.  Is this correct and if so, is there a reason?
4) Capitalization: I have been capitalizing every word.  Is this correct?  Ex. Blood On The Plow instead of Blood on the Plow?  I just want to be consistent.

Admin note: Could you delete "Dungeon3.jpg"?  I forgot to crop my first image right out of the box.  I have a newly cropped replacement.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:37 am 

Avurax wrote:Whoever said this was addictive was a sadist.   8O  

You'll find it gets quicker the more you do!!!

Avurax wrote:This evening I was screwing around with the Dungeon Magazine template on Dungeon 62.  
Please compare to the original template on Dungeon 2 and I believe a slightly modified template on Dungeon 56

I separated # of Characters from Levels.  Plus I added a Total Levels column since many adventures provided the information.  Finally, I added some adventure specific information at the bottom of the screen.  I don't remember using Total Levels much back in the day but didn't know if they would be useful.  I like the look of seperating # of Characters from Level but won't be offended if none of the changes appeal to the admin/majority.

Feel free to experiment with formats. I think what we show generally depends on what members here would like to see. At some stage in the future we may change the formatting substantially, so that we can get automatic indexing like on the Dragon magazine - but need some time to think about this as there are a few different things we need to show for the Dungeon.

Avurax wrote:I have a few questions that cropped up.
1) How can I change font size?

For info on formatting, have a look at the MediaWiki help site:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting

None of us have been using different-sized text.

Avurax wrote:2) What is the difference between the "CL" command and the "L" command?  Ex. |{{CL|Ravenloft}} vs. |{{L|Ravenloft}}
I started using CL for everything until I saw someone use just the L.  When I made the change I didn't notice any display differences.

EDIT: 'L' will simply provide a link to the page referred to, whereas 'C' will make the page you are working on actually appear as a link on the page referred to. So, for example, if you are working on Dungeon 10, and type in the code {{L|Ravenloft}}, it means when browsing the 'Dungeon 10' page it will take you to the Ravenloft page. If you type in the code {{CL|Ravenoft}}, then Dungeon 10 will appear on the 'Ravenloft' category page.

For periodicals, we are generally using the 'L' command only as it is not a specific Ravenloft product. There are lots of ways we can interlink pages in the database and can continue to discuss these in this thread.

Note: if you type in 'L' or 'CL' to a page that does not exist, clicking on the link will automatically open the new category for editing.

Avurax wrote:3) Reading back through the thread, I am pretty sure I read that titles starting with "The" need to remain at the beginning: Ex: The Rat Trap and not Rat Trap, The.  Is this correct and if so, is there a reason?

If an item begins with 'The' we use it. To make sure it gets ordered correctly, we use the following command:

{{DEFAULTSORTORDER:Item title}}

So for The Crusades Campaign Sourcebook, writing the code:

{{DEFAULTSORTORDER:Crusades Campaign Sourcebook}}

ensures it is alphabetically listed in 'C'

Avurax wrote:4) Capitalization: I have been capitalizing every word.  Is this correct?  Ex. Blood On The Plow instead of Blood on the Plow?  I just want to be consistent.

Generally we are not capitalising small words, so for the example you give, I would write 'Blood on the Plow'

Grubbiv may be able to give some more detailed replies as he is the technical guru for the Wiki.

I already cropped and replaced the cover image for Dungeon3.  :)

(Note: 29/05/09 - just updated my answer to the question about L and CL coding)

Last edited by HermitFromPluto on Fri May 29, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:49 pm 

Great work on the Dungeons Avurax! - feel free to add info to / edit any of the existing entries.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:09 pm 

Actually, just a thought about the Dungeon and Dragon magazine listings. A request that has come up from time tot time in the forums concerns extras and attachments such as cards and posters that have come with the magazines. We could build a separate table for this manually and put it in the 'About' page for each periodical.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/About:Dungeon

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:36 am 

Just copying this here from the help page in case my explanation above was confusing, as there are a few new people working on the wiki now:

Categories

Category pages contain browse lists and are an aid to navigating the wiki. You do not add a product to a category list by editing the category page, you do it by editing the product page and adding the appropriate category tag.

The {{CL|Sandy Petersen}} template both tags the page it appears in as belonging to the Sandy Petersen category and creates a link to the Sandy Petersen category page. The category page will automatically have a list of all the products with the {{CL|Sandy Petersen}} template, presumably the products for which Sandy Petersen is the author.

Each person (author or artist), company, game, and year has a category page. The category pages themselves are categorized. For example, on the category page for Sandy Petersen, you will see [[Category:People|Petersen, Sandy]] in the markup, which identifies Sandy Petersen as a person and causes him to be listed in the Category:People page. The text after the pipe puts the link to Sandy Petersen under P instead of under S.

When listing a person in an item description, one should always use {{CL|Name, Surname}}, so that the item appears on the Category page for that person.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:24 am 

I need help clarifying where a couple of the adventures in the TSR module Road to Danger came from.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/w/index.php?titl ... rcid=17007

Road to Danger has six adventures in it - and states on the cover ...from the pages of Dungeon magazine.

4 of the adventures I have found, but two of them I cannot seem to find:

''The Stolen Power'' by Robert Kelk   &
"Trouble at Grog's'' by Grant and David Boucher

I thought at first the titles would be changed, but the only adventure I can find from Robert Kelk is in Dungeon 10 called They also Serve ... and it appears entirely different to ''The Stolen Power''

Does anyone know if these two adventures were published before and if so where?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:57 am 

Trouble of grogs is in Dungeon #4 and Stolen Power is #5

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodi ... ngeon.html

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 am 

Thanks. I was wondering how I missed that, but I had been searching by author and the authors and dungeons are not linked properly for those issues. Thanks!  :)

PreviousNext