Method for Acaeum members to contribute to RPG database?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 pm 

Hi All. I hope you'll forgive me waxing lyrical with suggestions again.

For a while I have been contemplating how to get all the great information, photos etc that is lost amidst the various threads in the forums into a more easily accessible format. There is so much excellent information in the threads. When it is in the 'Interesting Items' threads it can be  hard to find again without trawling through every page. There is a lot of information in the threads but it is not assimilated.

I wondered if we should have a separate forum: RPG Research - Database Construction Forum

In the forum, we can have dedicated threads on specific TSR and Non-TSR product lines,

Eg,

TSR Birthright - products, scans and prints
TSR Kitsch - products, scans and prints
Flying Buffalo - products, scans and prints

... and so on.

This would mean the Acaeum or one of the linked non-TSR sites could simply lift the info straight off the thread, when expanding or building sub-webs.

Each post could contain a running product list OR the author of each thread could occasionally summarise the information in the thread, so that you don't have to read the whole thing to get its content. Crucially, it would present a more systematic way for ALL Acaeum members to contribute to the construction of a non-TSR Subweb as suggested by grodog here.

The idea came up earlier when I was brainstorming about how to collect all the great TSR kitsch / oddments info that was spread throughout the forums and to put it in one place.

This is just an idea. So I put it forward for discussion. We are all busy people and this may be one way that we can all occasionally contribute to the strength of this site - or collectively contribute to the construction of the non-TSR subweb suggested above.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:13 pm 

A "research" forum is a great idea.  In addition to your suggestions, it might be a place to post our wayward discussions regarding new printing tidbits, etc.  Too often these end up in "interesting items" or the like.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 am 

Sounds like a good idea.

My recent find of the Dr. Strange picture that corresponds to the cover of the early OD&D boxes & Men & Magic may get pushed down and forgotten. :(

I asked in that thread if there was anybody in particular I should forward that info to but unfortunately did not receive an answer.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:56 am 

Hi deimos3428 and jasonw1239,

Yes they are good suggestions too. I guess to make it a reality some of the Mods here and forum heavyweights will need to give it some thought. It may be possible to move some of the dedicated specific product and printing research threads to a new forum to get it started. It would need the support of at least a core group of forum members prepared to start research threads on different topics.

I guess the key to making it work would be clearly naming threads, so they are not duplicated within a new forum and are easy to find.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:35 pm 

I'm still interested in helping out with projects like this, just don't have a lot of time at the moment.  Hopefully in another week or so I'll have about 2 months straight of no travel for work.  I hope!  :?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:28 pm 

count me in

Gary H. Kramer