Okay, how's this for starters
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:24 pm 

I threw this together yesterday so we could maybe start to get a feel for how the sub sections might be done.  It ain't perfect, but that's exactly why I'm throwing it out there.  Let's dissect and discuss what's right and what's wrong about this approach.  Go ahead and explore then head back over here and post your thoughts...

http://www.flash.net/~brenfrow/acaeum/DarkSunCode.htm

Here are a few initial thoughts of mine:

How's the format in general?  Is this what everybody else has in mind or am I off target?

Is this broken down far enough?  Should there be seperate pages for each module code?  If so, then what about the ones without codes?

What about cross-campaign setting series like CGR and Monstrous Compendium?  Are they going to have central pages of their own, i.e. "CGR2 is here because it is a Dark Sun product, but click here to see the CGR page."

Should other material like the Conspecti be included?  My initial thought was no since the Acaeum sticks pretty closely to game material only, but it does include items like the art books so...?

Let's hear what you think, and keep in mind I'm very thicked-skinned so harsh critisism is fine as long as it's constructive.   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:51 am 

Hiya Adrian---

I think the format looks good.  It would be nice to have a column for estimated print run and/or existing copies perhaps, since that's handy/nice data to have on hand when referencing the auction values too.  

I think that you'd want to break down the contents further, using the same taxonomy structure that Scott does:  rule sets, modules, miscellaneous, periodicals, rares.  Unless there's just not enough DS materials to warrant that level of detailing, of course.  

It also might be worthwhile to think about linking to the subwebs via additions to the main Acaeum index page:  perhaps add Settings, if that's how most of the subwebs will be organized?

In terms of cross-over or multi-genre/-setting products, I think that they should have their own category perhaps; they definitely should be linked from all viable link locations---MC for DS would be linked from both the MC page (or Multi-genre pages or whatever) and from the DS pages; ditto for something like Die Vecna Die (links from Multi-genre, Greyhawk, Planescape, and Ravenloft), Dead Gods (Planescape and Greyhawk), etc., etc.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:24 am 

Looks great to me!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:53 pm 

For some reason, I missed this post back in September.... Adrian, this stuff looks great.  I also got your lengthy e-mail a few months ago regarding this, and it's been sitting on my to-do list ever since.  Let me see if I can get to that, and we can move forward with this idea.  If you're still interested, of course.

Alan -- definitely, cross-domain links would be appropriate and necessary.  And not terribly difficult to do, except if pages moved, in which case finding all the relevant links to change would be a bit of a pain.  I think the biggest pain in the butt from having something like "Dark Sun" as your subweb would be the little problems, as Adrian mentioned -- where do you put that pesky orphan DR2 module, etc.  Having a subweb with a wider scope (multi-setting, whatever) solves that, but also is a lot more work.

Regarding non-gaming items: up to ya'll.  From past experience, I've found it to be more trouble than it's worth, if you don't draw a line in the sand somewhere.  You will receive scans of items you never knew bore the Dark Sun label.

Scott

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:55 pm 

Scott-

Been extremely busy of late myself, but I'm definitely still on board for the project.   :D

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:14 pm 

Roger that.  I'll be posting more shortly!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:53 pm 

BUMP..

Thanks to JasonW for mentioning this, in which I knew nothing about it.

Lets bring the true first subweb back to life!!

:)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Roger that.  I'll be posting more shortly!

You want to Roger that?

I thought only dogs get to 'Roger' stuff... :lol:

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:56 pm 

I don't know if blackdougal gets around here very much any more, but the link in the first post shows an impressive amount of work on a Dark Sun subweb.

It would be a shame for it to go to waste and would definitely add to the site!

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:32 pm 

Bump

Any updates on the Dark Sun subweb?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."