To start us off...
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:37 am 

Besides soliciting opinions on the feasibility of doing something like this (as well as technical issues that I may be overlooking?), I'd also like to hear from those of you who'd be interested in administering your own subweb, and what topic you might like to tackle.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:02 am 

Just wanted to ask if you've ever considered a wiki?

It's definitely a different way of doing things to what you proposed in the preceding post but at the beginning of any projects it's best to get a big quantity of ideas no matter how far out. Then you can start whittling them down.

Nev

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:59 am 

Hey Scott:

I'd be interested in doing a 2nd or 3rd edition subweb.  My collection consists almost entirely of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition D&D and AD&D.  All TSR/WOTC/WW, etc.

So count me in if you decide to follow through with this plan.  Sounds great!

Matt

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:07 pm 

Well, Nev, I actually had to look "wiki" up --

The Wiki software allows anyone to post to a webpage.  From what I can see, it's largely useful as a discussion medium.  There's nothing built-in (that I could see) which allows any sort of moderator, since the whole point is to gather everyone's opinions.  

From past experience from working here, you really don't *want* everyone's opinions.  The site, and the subwebs, really need a single person calling the shots.  Someone who takes input from contributors, weighs it against all the material at his disposal, and then makes a decision.  Sometimes, those decisions make a lot of people mad.  Especially when it involves lowering the value of someone's collection.  For example: there was one contributor (who will remain nameless) who absolutely flew off the handle that I had designated a True First print of the Player's Handbook.  Why?  Because the First Print PHB he had just bought on eBay was no longer the "First" print.  And so, he proceeded to launch a crusade to say that my logic was flawed, that the "True First" should actually have been designated the Third print, etc.  He was wrong, and after explaining myself to him as well as in some forum posts, I ignored him.

In a community effort (especially one where financial motivations lurk in the background), that noise won't be filtered out.  You'll start having massive disagreements, and the general population won't know what to think.  "Do I have a First print?  A Sixth print?  I don't know -- all I know is there's a bunch of people in there arguing about it."

The Wiki is an interesting idea -- and I encourage everyone to look for creative solutions to this project.  I think the subweb idea will work well, if only because it (seems) to accomplish most of the goals that I envision.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:57 pm 

Hello Scott,

Count me in  :D  My collection is pretty much main stream 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition, similar to Matts. I do enjoy the oddities though, such as 3ring binders, records, two pocket folders, flashlights, etc ...

I can also help out anyone else if needed.

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:02 pm 

Hi,

I really don't have much computer knowledge. If anyone needs any info or scans let me know. My collection is not as large as some, but I do have some rare/obscure items. I'm also into the early Non-D&D TSR items and I have quite a few D&D licensed products(Belt Buckles, DAS Clay Sets, Puzzles, etc.). I alos have a few pieces of 2nd Edition original artwork.

BTW: Scott, keep up the great work on the site! :D  Let me know if you want scans and information on the following:

-The Stretegic Preview Newsletters

-TSR Art Portfolio

-AC4 Pre-Edit Manuscript

-10th Anniversary Combo Packs(S2/WG4, U2/N1)

Can't wait to see the results of all your efforts!

Devon

Shawn

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:52 pm 

I absolutely agree that on a site like this having editors is a must and you can't let just anyone go and change pages.

The java wiki that's just been set up by Sun requires logins for people to edit, so there must be some way of restricting who can be editors.

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Nev

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:26 am 

I like the core ideas as you've proposed them, Scott:  they help delineate clear requirements, expectations, and rights (both your rights, and those of the contributors).  

I don't have the time to be a sole administrator for subweb, as much as I'd love to work more on non-D&D TSR materials, non-TSR in general, and D&D tournaments and manuscripts.  I just don't have the time, and won't commit to something that I wouldn't be able to regularly update.  

That said, though, I'm happy to help as a contributor to any and all endeavors that catch my fancy, and to assist with UI design, usability testing, developing taxonomies, content management, database design (but not coding), etc. since I do all that at Juniper Networks to put bread on the table and D&D in my bookshelves =)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:18 am 

FoulFoot wrote:Besides soliciting opinions on the feasibility of doing something like this (as well as technical issues that I may be overlooking?), I'd also like to hear from those of you who'd be interested in administering your own subweb, and what topic you might like to tackle.

I'd be most honored in contributing. I have very small techinical knowledge (for example I started just recently to use Acrobat reader to create pdf documents) however so somebody should do all that web designing for me  :wink: .

I think I could manage a more extensive - in data - Italian D&D products page, including unofficial D&D/AD&D products. I'd love to share the possible management of a Magazines subsite. Mind you, I don't collect all the magazines, just the ones I consider interesting with a particular bias for British ones. Tortured Souls, White Dwarf (till issue 90), Adventurer and US mag such as Space Gamer.

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:11 pm 

I'd love to do what I could, also. I know I'm relatively new, but I've got Planescape coming out of my ears and would be happy to try, or make a cooperative effort with someone. At the very, very least I can contribute scans, photos, or whatever kind of Planescapey product list info and/or visuals necessary.

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard