Do our Subwebs impact Auction Values?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:08 am 

Over the past 12 months I have noticed a deffinate and steady increase in auction values of some of the uncommon, and most of the rare, Judges Guild items.

I am wondering whether or not the presence of Acaeum's subwebs are influencing eBay prices. Is the same thing happening with Planescape?

Between us we put a lot of experience and expertise out into the public domain, and I presume that this is being picked up by the less experienced collectors and in some instances focussing their bidding on items we identify to one another as notable.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:54 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Over the past 12 months I have noticed a deffinate and steady increase in auction values of some of the uncommon, and most of the rare, Judges Guild items.

I am wondering whether or not the presence of Acaeum's subwebs are influencing eBay prices. Is the same thing happening with Planescape?

Between us we put a lot of experience and expertise out into the public domain, and I presume that this is being picked up by the less experienced collectors and in some instances focussing their bidding on items we identify to one another as notable.

yes i think that the sub-web's are helping things most certainly. whilst the more common items tend to sell at about the same and for the same values pretty much, i have noticed that generally, the more rarer JG items tend to be looked at a lot more by not just collectors.

i think spreading awareness of the products is very important and has done just that. if the Acaeum is exactly that, a portal for ppl to come along to and educate themselves about things they didnt know before, then cool, it has certainly served its purpose. anyone then selling rares, can only benefit from this imo.

i think too, the planescape sub-web has certainly helped that line of product. the actual campaign box-set seems to go for quite a lot now. even a short time ago, you could pick one up reasonably cheap. now, it seems to have appx doubled in value. a lot of the other items seem to sell a lot better now too.

i think once the JG and Planescape sub-web's have their own valuation lists, this will also help with regards to the respective products too.

thats what i think anyway :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:10 am 

I haven't tracked PS items at all since getting a copy of Dead Gods.  IMO, the prices for DG seemed to be decreasing over the past 18 months or so.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:26 pm 

I think I impact Judges Guild auction values :oops: Though I'm only trying to collect 1 of each printing for the..'good of the site'

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:29 am 

grodog wrote:I haven't tracked PS items at all since getting a copy of Dead Gods. IMO, the prices for DG seemed to be decreasing over the past 18 months or so.

Good, DG and the sketchboook are the only items I need to finish my PS collection...

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:57 am 

Plaag wrote:I think I impact Judges Guild auction values :oops:

Correct. Which is why it's dangerous to use low numbers of data points as being indicative of "value".
Very easy to create a false bubble expectation for the next auction/s, even if that doesn't always happen.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:20 am 

I know from experience that one Acaeum member can raise prices on a given genre of RPG stuff.

It happened to Thieves Guild when I was stupid enough to mention it.

Mark   8)

(Oh...and WOOT!  900th post!)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:03 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I know from experience that one Acaeum member can raise prices on a given genre of RPG stuff.

Mark   8)

do you not think its just linked to the small nub of collectors though. once they have the items they are looking for, then the prices go back to what the rest will pay for them?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:16 am 

killjoy32 wrote:do you not think its just linked to the small nub of collectors though. once they have the items they are looking for, then the prices go back to what the rest will pay for them?

With the likes of that TG and a few posts on the forum, only, perhaps any effect may've been short-term (and those TG items were always in demand, I'd've said).

Stick up the JG Acaeum pages with high-$ valuations permanently on display and see what happens. I think more will increase than decrease, continuing the trend in the last couple of years.
(In the interim, some prices have phps tended to drop back a bit a few auctions after Shane's picked up what he wanted... :))

Besides, even broke I'm sure you'll be hard pressed not to act as underbidder on Tegels. ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:52 am 

faro wrote:Besides, even broke I'm sure you'll be hard pressed not to act as underbidder on Tegels. ;)

:P

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:36 pm 

Yeah my Judges Guild need list is small..hum..perhaps I shall try for something different.. woodgrain box sets perhaps  :wink:  :lol:

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:13 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I know from experience that one Acaeum member can raise prices on a given genre of RPG stuff.

Mark   8)

I am not sure that the prices on TG have gone all that high the last few lot auctions have gone for a fairly reasonable (and sorry but I am not rubbing anything in  :oops: ) price.

The first City of Haven auction that closed recently was $20 or so and then the second jumped up a good bit more but I think that was just a few motivated bidders fixated on an item. PS items do seem to be on the decline as there have been a few Blood Wars sets that have sold under $40 in the last few months IIRC in addition to Dead Gods and other staples. Now the true rare items like the flask etc continue to increase.

I think people read here and they either hear about an item and start looking for it and there is a light bubble that later resides or in my case I remember that I had that at one point and sold it in my younger days and decide I would like to see it again and I pick it up sometimes at too much or sometimes at a bargin but mostly at normal prices.

What I think more affects prices are the eBay shops that run uncommon or rare items at prices much higher than what they sell for in auction format. People want tot sell something and they then log into eBay and search for their item. They see the shops that have items that most likely have not sold because they are on the higher end of the pricing spectrum and they then price their item based on that. I think that people use eBay more as a guide for prices than here. We are the advertising department and ebay is sales.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:12 pm 

Well, in the case of Thieves Guild....

I bid too low on TG #1, and was beaten about by bclarkie.  I believe he paid $8.99.  That was how I learned that sniping was crucial...because I had mixed snipes and regular bids on a number of Thieves Guild products that week.  I lost the ones I had bid on...or paid noticeably higher prices if I first bid, then sniped.  I won all the straight snipes.

Then I mentioned Thieves Guild on the Aceum and talked about how I liked Gamelords.  Others chimed in.

TG #1 immediately jumped up into the $20+ range, with massive sniping.   The other Thieves Guild products did similar jumps.

The price will probably come back down soon...if only because the increased prices attracted more sellers and people like me are close to complete collections.

Not exactly a scientific survey, but the phenomenon was definately there.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:20 pm 

Yeah. I'll take responsibility for some of that. I did take a liking to Thieves Guild after I got TG1. Incidentally, were there any loose leaf TGs after issue 5, ir were they all stapled books after that?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:51 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Yeah. I'll take responsibility for some of that. I did take a liking to Thieves Guild after I got TG1. Incidentally, were there any loose leaf TGs after issue 5, ir were they all stapled books after that?

I have not seen a loose leafe after TG #5.  That is when I think they decided that saddle stitched was the way to go.

Mark   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:45 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Yeah. I'll take responsibility for some of that. I did take a liking to Thieves Guild after I got TG1. Incidentally, were there any loose leaf TGs after issue 5, ir were they all stapled books after that?

Nope they stopped after 5 and the Free City of Haven, then everything went staple bound or box set. Thieves Guild is one I hope can come back in some form (even if a large combined book/box set of everything put in 'order')

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:58 pm 

Who owns the rights to TG now? Tadashi?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:46 pm 

It would be nice to see Thieves Guild make a comeback.   :D