Subweb idea
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:00 pm 

** edit by FoulFoot: I split this topic off into a separate thread **

Someone want to split the JG with me? I have almost every print of every product, and I have time to scan them and do writeups, but I won't be able to Frontpage the material. If someone has the time to put the scans and writeups on pages, that would be great.
I can help whoever can do the non-TSR page with the same, but I wouldn't want to be in charge of the non-TSR.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:07 pm 

Good to hear, Frank. Thanks 8)
The JG material has a clearly defined scope and is relatively accessible... (well, to 80-90% completion, anyhow; which would encourage "digging" for the rest...).
And it would certainly be good to see an update/enhancement from the still-useful JG Codex :) :)

"non-TSR" sounds just too big...

Fanzines are still a major pain. Even restricting to the UK and from discussion with other owners of such, there are just too many placeholders to adopt a standard "Acaeum" approach, it would seem...
(JMO, of course).

d.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:39 pm 

Nah, fanzines are easy enuff. Easier than non-TSR. Most people who have fanzines have long runs of them.
Can you do the pages for me?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 am 

DL36 (sounds like a Dragonlance module :) )
Are you asking for someone to put the scans and writeups into HTML format?  I can do that.

Oops, just read the main topic.  I don't have Frontpage but I do have the .NET environment and have been doing web design for years.  Hopefully I can still contribute without having to use Frontpage.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:26 am 

You shouldn't NEED Frontpage. .NET is better anyways!
Sure, if you want to do the pages, that would be great! Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and we can coordinate it. Scott?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:18 am 

you don't need any of that, all you need to make a webpage is a text editor  :D   in college i did all of my web design assignments with microsoft notepad... of course i ended up with a minor hatred of computers....  :lol:

-dave

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:55 am 

True, any text editor will do.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:02 pm 

Yep, but here, you need Frontpage.  :)  The days of hand-coding web pages are unfortunately long-since over, unless you're putting up a very simple page (which most of the pages on this site are most definitely not).  Take a look at the source for the Module Index, for instance, and tell me how well you would do coding that by hand....

More to the point, I need to be able to load and edit your subweb as well.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:03 pm 

OK then, who can do it in Frontpage? I'm a network engineer, I don't know crap about HTML coding.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:10 pm 

Foul,
I wouldn't want to code the module index by hand but .Net does incorporate Frontpage into it's design editor.  But I'm not here to argue.  

How about Deadlord and I work on a few sample pages and see if they meet your specifications?  I'll code a couple of the specific JG item pages (e.g. Tegel Manor), save them as HTML and send them for your approval.  If you cannot load or do what you want with them in Frontpage, I step aside or find me a copy of Frontpage.

Sound fair?  Again, not looking to undermine your authority, just trying to lend my skillset to the community.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:17 pm 

Yep, as long as they'll load up on my end, feel free to use .Net.  Beyond sending a few sample pages, however, please follow the procedures outlined in the handbook article -- i.e., sending me a proposal, etc.  I'd hate for you guys to put a ton of effort into creating something before we have it approved.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:11 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Yep, but here, you need Frontpage.  :)  The days of hand-coding web pages are unfortunately long-since over, unless you're putting up a very simple page (which most of the pages on this site are most definitely not).  Take a look at the source for the Module Index, for instance, and tell me how well you would do coding that by hand....

More to the point, I need to be able to load and edit your subweb as well.

Foul

the code for the Module Index page isn't really too complex, the webpage creation program just makes it seem that way.  it lumps it all together and adds unneccesary code.  i've had the same problem with dreamweaver.  i'd create a webpage, then look at the source code and see that it had used four times more code than it needed.  you can actually make fairly complex web pages manually coding.  i used to love manually coding DHTML.

-dave

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:42 pm 

dsaunders wrote:the code for the Module Index page isn't really too complex, the webpage creation program just makes it seem that way.  it lumps it all together and adds unneccesary code.  i've had the same problem with dreamweaver.  i'd create a webpage, then look at the source code and see that it had used four times more code than it needed.  you can actually make fairly complex web pages manually coding.  i used to love manually coding DHTML.

I think there are even scripts available to run through and clean up machine-mangled code, but I'm not sure I'd trust them either.  Most of the stuff on the Module Index seems to be stylesheet related, which is pretty straight forward if you're the one writing it, less so reading it later on.  

I still code all my HTML with a text editor (though some are Perl-generated HTML).  I wouldn't have a clue how to use Frontpage/Dreamweaver, personally.  People keep telling me it's easy, but for someone used to command-line Linux, it's not ;)

This is not meant as a slight whatsoever, the pages look great!

YIM