Update on all this
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:57 pm 

As evidenced by the fact that I've made this forum publicly accessible, I'm still interested in hearing responses to this proposal.

Before a thousand hands go up ("I'd love to cover Spelljammer!"), I want to reinforce a point that I may not have been completely clear on earlier.  My apologies in advance if this comes across a bit harsh -- I don't intend it to be, but at the same time, it needs to be said:

I fully intend to retain heavy control over the Quality Assurance end of things.  I'm very interested in providing more resources to the collecting public, but I'm not willing to dillute or sully The Acaeum name to do so.

Before a subweb goes "live", it will be in an advanced state of completion -- i.e., if your subweb is Dark Sun, you will have the vast majority of pages, scans, and information in-place before your subweb goes onto the server.  Both you and I will reach mutual agreement that the subweb is ready for prime-time.  If I don't think it's ready, it won't go up until it is.

The most difficult part of this process will be the fact that I'm not the easiest person in the world to work for.  If I have to edit each of your pages for spelling and grammar errors, this won't work.  If you haven't done your research, and a hundred visitors e-mail us and say "what the hell are you talking about?  That's totally wrong!", we all end up looking like idiots.

Now, I'm not looking for perfection.  We all make mistakes -- spelling, grammar, factual.  I've certainly made more than my share.  What I'm looking for is someone who has a good grasp of writing and organization, preferrably someone with some basic knowledge of Frontpage (though this can be learned), and most importantly, who can commit to putting up a solid subweb and then updating it from time to time as necessary.

Now that I've scared everyone off -- comments & flames welcome.  :)

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:26 am 

FoulFoot wrote:As evidenced by the fact that I've made this forum publicly accessible, I'm still interested in hearing responses to this proposal.

(...)

Now that I've scared everyone off -- comments & flames welcome.  :)

Foul

I commend your policy about contributors. This said, I'd love to supply contents but I don0t have the technical expertise to manage the software and the procedures to manage a sub web on my own. A pity - I'd love to see a Magazines section on the Acaeum!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:37 am 

Sotterraneo wrote:A pity - I'd love to see a Magazines section on the Acaeum!

It could be a joint effort?
Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 pm 

The technical expertise is actually the easiest facet of this.  I, for one, didn't know HTML from C++ when I started this -- I just bought MS Frontpage 98 (!) and self-taught.

I can certainly help anyone get over the learning curve, and provide most of the necessary template files so the wheel doesn't have to be re-invented.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:36 pm 

Sotterraneo,

A section on the old zine's would be cool. I have a bunch and will help anyway I can scans etc... Maybe even a cross reference section?

Scott,

I'm going to get a copy of  MS frontpage today and see if I can start figuring it out. Does it have to be 98?

Mike

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:50 pm 

As a member of the "Distributed Computing" community, I just want to applaud your efforts on trying to do something of this magnitude.

(Quick Plug: I work for the Ontario Research and Innovation Optical Network, ORION. See http://www.orion.on.ca for details.)

Unfortunately, I'm not in the position to be able to offer resources/time to the project (I would if I could), but I will be watching it's progress enthusiastically, as I do with all things containing the words "distributed computing" in the title  :)

YIM  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:38 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote: I'm going to get a copy of  MS frontpage today and see if I can start figuring it out. Does it have to be 98?

Heavens, no.  That's just the version I started out with, back in 1998.  I'd heartily recommend the newest (2003) version, due to all of its enhancements, though 2002 will work fine as well.  Older than that, there will be compatibility problems.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:55 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:
It could be a joint effort?
Brette:)

Pant, pant, after solving AT LAST my various email and Internet problems  :evil: , I'm here again. A joint effort? This is surely a most likeble idea for me. How would you want to proceed?