Elric! vs. Stormbringer on the wiki
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:11 am 

I noticed that Elric! is listed on a separate wiki page from the rest of the Chaosium Stormbringer games due to it being a substantially different system from the editions that preceded it.

I don't have much of an objection* to that, but if Elric! is going to be on a separate page, then so should Stormbringer 5th edition, since they're the same system.

Thoughts?

* The only objection I have is that Stormbringer 5th is also tied to Stormbringer 4th. 5th includes various material from 4th edition supplements. So it's somewhat hard to dissociate 5th from 4th, and therefore it's also hard to dissociate Elric! from all the others.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:18 pm 

I recall I grappled with this issue when I put up the base gallery and system pages. I ended up deciding to make two base game systems Stormbringer and Elric!, but having Elric! and Stormbringer 5th listed under both.

You are correct. Based on this rationale, I should have Stormbringer 5th listed under Elric! as well - but as I didn't have a copy, did not get around to it.

I am open on this. What do people think have two game systems as above or just keep them all listed under Stormbringer?

Help is certainly needed to complete this section!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:48 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I recall I grappled with this issue when I put up the base gallery and system pages. I ended up deciding to make two base game systems Stormbringer and Elric!, but having Elric! and Stormbringer 5th listed under both.

You are correct. Based on this rationale, I should have Stormbringer 5th listed under Elric! as well - but as I didn't have a copy, did not get around to it.

I am open on this. What do people think have two game systems as above or just keep them all listed under Stormbringer?

Help is certainly needed to complete this section!

I think it depends on the compatability of the two games and their supplements. If Elric! material is only useful for the Elric! system then keep them separate, but if material from either system is useful for the other then combine them.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:21 pm 

(I plan to help complete the Stormbringer section. I have some of the missing items.)

Regarding the grouping, perhaps some of the other info databases can offer guidance:
- rpg.net treats Elric! + Stormbringer 5th (+ Corum too) as the same system as each other, but as a different system from all earlier versions of Stormbringer.
- rpggeek treats SB 1-3 as a single group, SB 4 as another group, and Elric! + SB 5 as a third group.

As a player, I make the same distinction rpggeek makes. That is, supplements/adventures for each of those groupings works best with the other games in that grouping.

As a collector, I think of all Chaosium Stormbringer / Elric! as one big bucket.

Are most collectors/sellers well-versed in the esoteric differences between the systems? If so, separate them on the wiki. If not, keep them together.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Last edited by Guy Fullerton on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:07 pm 

I've been working on this collection lately, so I just happened to read the conversion rules from Stormbringer 4E to Elric yesterday.  In my opinion, it's all one big bucket, if for no other reason than there are so few total items (about 30, and that's if you include Hawkmoon material, d20 material, and monographs).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games