Wiki: AD&D 2nd edition scans needed
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:38 am 

Howdy All. I have finally finished my PhD and will be able to put much more time and energy into the wiki (I will hopefully graduate in March if I can time it with my leave).

One of the key contributions of the wiki is the auction tracker.

My current intention is to try to get all the 2nd edition TSR AD&D onto the wiki and into the auction tracker and to start monitoring prices. I have started monitoring MERP and some other prices again and wll be scanning for an entering auctions one morning a week.

In this regard, could members help with scans? (I have hundreds of items to scan but am away form my collection most of the time!) We maintain the principle that we only scan and put up items that we own.

Basically, I would like front and back (and contents scans for boxed sets) of all second edition TSR items not already on the wiki.

If you can help, send scans to [email protected]

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Link to Wiki AD&D Second Edition section

Example of Scan_Needed item

In particular, looking for scans of: Gallery: ADnD 2nd Edition Generic | Al-Qadim | Conan | Dark Sun | DragonLance Fifth Age | Forgotten Realms | Greyhawk | Monstrous Arcana | Mystara | Odyssey | Ravenloft | Red Steel | SpellJammer | Tomes

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 am 

I see by your example that "Conan the Buccaneer" is missing a scan.  But if I go to the main page of the Wiki and click on "Scans Needed", that item does not appear in the list.  How can we see which listings need scans?  Thanks, and I appreciate your work on this.  I will try to find time to help.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm 

If you have a book and it's not on the respective page? Just a guess.

One comment, though. The moniker of '2.5 Edition' for the black books seems inappropriate. I could be incorrect, as I didn't pay much attention to subtitles like that back then, but didn't this get retrofit due to the 3.0/3.5 deal? Shouldn't the proper term be '2nd Edition Revised'?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:49 am 

I'll have to work on that aspect. We have a page that automatically collates 'Scan Needed' items where item info is completely absent, e.g.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Combat_Scre ... nce_Sheets

but this does not work where I have put the item info in and just the pictures are missing.   Hmmmmm.

Re: 2.5 edition. I am not too familiar with this either and didn't build the page in question. I can easily change the printing name on those to '2nd edition revised'. Any authorities on the matter?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:52 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I'll have to work on that aspect. We have a page that automatically collates 'Scan Needed' items where item info is completely absent, e.g.

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Combat_Scre ... nce_Sheets

but this does not work where I have put the item info in and just the pictures are missing.   Hmmmmm.

Re: 2.5 edition. I am not too familiar with this either and didn't build the page in question. I can easily change the printing name on those to '2nd edition revised'. Any authorities on the matter?

I think that is what it those products go by: Revised rather then 2.5.  Course I'd like to see mention of that in a catalog or credit page as I'm not sure they did try to differentiate these at the time of their release.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:12 pm 

I'm not finding any 'official' mention in the hardbacks or in Dragon anywhere. Best I can see is that they are being referred to as new printings, which would be fine and dandy had it not been for the fact that the hardbacks have '1st printing' stated on some of them.

Could actually be that they are using the standard book definitions of 'edition' and 'printing'. That is, the old covers were the 1st edition (with multiple printings) of the 2nd edition game, and the new covers were the 2nd edition (with multiple printings) of the 2nd edition game. Nothing to confirm this either, though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:24 pm 

Hey there Hermit . . . I have archived scans (front and back cover) of almost every AD&D item.  Likewise, I have pics (including contents) of most box sets.

These are all ready to go - I could email you dozens in relatively short order - tell me what you need.

We maintain the principle that we only scan and put up items that we own.

Oh, and these are scans of items is used to own, but don't currently.   :D   They are from my days of reselling on ebay.  I did personally scan and/or take pictures of each one . . . hope that wouldn't be a detriment . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:36 am 

That would be fantastic. Thanks. Used to own is fine.  :)  Basically products members own or have owned and scans we have made ourselves.

Our plan is currently to finalize AD&D 2nd edition and also TSR 'all categories'. It is a lot of items.

I can only do a bit at a time. So perhaps start with the first three on my list above: Al Qadim, Conan and Dark Sun.

I may need help with names of cover artists as well ....

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:38 am 

I'll change the black covers to 2nd Edition Revised for the time being and if new info comes to light let me know.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:36 pm 

Okay,

I decided to start with Forgotten Realms - I sent front and back cover scans of almost all items.

I zipped them up in three emails.

Note:  I haven't included box sets.  When I took pics of box sets, I would lay out all contents and include in one photo . . .  like this one here:

http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/tot_dnd/corerules/masterrules.htm

Now, I can get a large pic of these with contents . . . but you also get the background of my carpet.   :D   Don't know if you are interested in this style of picture.  Let me know.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 am 

Many thanks!!! I'll work through them this weekend. We were trying to include individual scans of contents. Depending on the size of the pictures, I may be able to crop photos like the example at ToT into separate items - if the files are small though, may lose too much quality this way.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm 

I'll work on some other setting this week . . . like I said, my style on box sets pictures was different, so I will avoid those for now.  Unfortunately, many 2E items were in boxes of some sort . . .

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:18 pm 

Greyhawk scans sent.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 am 

And Ravenloft . . .

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:51 pm 

Thanks! It will take me a few weeks to work through all that you have given me. Have finalized the Forgotten Realms accessories gallery today, but still have to build item pages.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:18 am 

i have some of those 2ed core books. if you are still looking for scans,  i can hi-res scan them for you :)

(i also have core rule 1.0 are you looking for the box or the cd scan?)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:04 am 

HI Rossik. Thanks for the offer. Yes any front and back scans you can send are most welcome.