missing pages... any value?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:00 pm 

Hi,
I just picked up a 1st print PHB in somewhere between GD and VG condition....  unfortunately it has 2 pages torn out of the back (123-126).  Clearly, I am not happy and am trying to sort out a refund with seller.  Question is.... is a book in this condition worth the £12.75 ($20) I paid for it?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:16 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Hi,
I just picked up a 1st print PHB in somewhere between GD and VG condition....  unfortunately it has 2 pages torn out of the back (123-126).  Clearly, I am not happy and am trying to sort out a refund with seller.  Question is.... is a book in this condition worth the £12.75 ($20) I paid for it?

I would say no.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:46 pm 

I would say YES!

A 1st Print (Assuming Orange Flyleafs and not white) Players Hand Book (Assuming AD&D and not 3.x Ed or 4th Ed) is easily worth $20 even in Good condition.

I would complain if those pages are torn out and gone though.
If the pages are torn out and present, then I would be fine with the book as is at just $20...

However, if the book was otherwise in Good to Very Good Condition, then the torn out pages (but present) does (IMO) push the book down to Fair to Good at best.
If those pages are gone, then it is in Poor condition, yet probably still worth 20 bucks for historical value and as a place holder if you do not have another copy... barely...

Based on the title of this thread, I must assume the pages are gone...
So I would probably complain and if I needed to; ask for a full refund including SH charges... BOTH WAYS...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:04 pm 

If it has white flyleaves, I'd keep it. If it has golden ones, I'd get your money back. You'll be able score another golden one without too much trouble.

Or you could keep it and rip it apart to investigate binding characteristics and issues, like some of the other guys do on the site  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:26 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Hi,

Those pages are the perforated reference sheets that were designed for easy removal.  It definitely still has some value, and likely more than the amount you paid.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am 

You only paid $20.00US for it?  Yeah you're fine...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:20 pm 

** expired eBay auction **

This would have definitely been a great find if it wasn't for the 2 ripped out and missing pages.  Interested to hear some would still see it as worth the money I paid,

Thanks