1st Ed Monster Manual Price?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:32 am 

Bracton wrote:There's a first printing on eBay now for $50, in less than great (but not terrible) condition.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Invincible Overlord wrote:1st Print MM's used to sell for over $100... years ago...

They sell for around $30 - $50 these days...

IO:

As I recal, those $100 MM 1st Prints were all in very nice condition.

At least any that I thought of bidding on were.

I agree with Bracton on his scale.

Less than great (I would use the words *less than good*) but not terrible.

That copy looks used and a bit beat up and aint worth anything near $100... but perhaps $50.

Even the seller rates the cover at only 3/4 on a 10 scale.

I do not think that at $50 it is rediculous at all, but not a great deal either.

It might be worth the listed amount of $50 for someone who does not yet have a 1st print MM.

Trouble is with the second picture, not being what is advertised in the listing.

All in all, I think based on the first pic and the overall description that this copy is at best just a place holder book (As I would call it).

Holding a place on your shelf until you can get a nicer copy, then hope you can get your money back from selling it afterwards.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:20 pm 

Coming in late to the thread as I'm on the beach this week.

The auction now has a $100 BIN.  It sounds from the posts above that it was $50 before, so perhaps the seller is reading the thread.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:As I recal, those $100 MM 1st Prints were all in very nice condition.
At least any that I thought of bidding on were.

The $150-200+ ones, anyhow. Still has "+32%" on the latest version of the pricing page.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Less than great (I would use the words *less than good*) but not terrible.

Less than G and we have a deal. ;)
The grading structure still has a bad habit of "things tending to VG" as it stands, IMO.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:All in all, I think based on the first pic and the overall description that this copy is at best just a place holder book (As I would call it).
Holding a place on your shelf until you can get a nicer copy, then hope you can get your money back from selling it afterwards.

*nods*. Agreed at that and $50 is probably a "sensible" target for mid-range placeholders but still more than many people might wish to mentally write off, I guess.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:01 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Coming in late to the thread as I'm on the beach this week.

The auction now has a $100 BIN.  It sounds from the posts above that it was $50 before, so perhaps the seller is reading the thread.

yep..
Seller also deleted the wrong picture and posted two new pitures that show the correct copyright page and a close up of that pages printing area.

At that price ($100) that book will probably not sell to a knowledgeable collector.
Even a collector who is desperate for a First Print MM would likely prefer to wait for a copy that is in better condition.
Even at $50 I thought that copy was pushing the envelope a bit, but still plausible....
However, seller aslo added a "Make an Offer" choice too.
Which was not there with the $50 BIN.

Still, I wish the seller luck in his/her listings.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 pm 

Many months ago (six or more?) the seller had the price up in the $100 range, but then slowly brought it down. I remember posting it when I originally saw it in the interesting items on Ebay thread, but I can't seem to find the original post. I thought I remembered Brian commenting about it at that time, too. The seller I'm pretty sure had a 3rd print, as well as several early prints of the PHB.

Unless the book were in immaculate condition, I haven't seen them go above that $50-$75 range in a long while.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:39 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:1st Print MM's used to sell for over $100... years ago...

They sell for around $30 - $50 these days...

Or $265 as the case may be? ;)

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0434075001 (with three bidders at $250+)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:29 am 

faro wrote:
Or $265 as the case may be? ;)
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0434075001 (with three bidders at $250+)

Crazy as it may seem, but look at the picture. It's a very beautiful copy.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord