1st Ed Monster Manual Price?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:06 pm 

So, I'm at my FLGS, and I notice an old Monster Manual for sale.  I open it up and see red fly leaves.  I look some more and see the lizard logo.  Hmmm.  I look for the copyright, and don't see second edition.  I thinking, this might be a first edition Monster Manual.  The little price sticker on the front says "$20.00."  It's in very good condition or there abouts.  I don't see any writing or highlighting, but there's a little 1" Garfield sticker on the inside back cover.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if it was 1st or 2nd print and wasn't sure of the value at that condition.  I went home, looked it up, and if it's a 1st edition, the valuation says it's easily worth twice that.  I called the FLGS, and told him to hold it for me until tomorrow.  

My first question is, if I sell a 1st print Monster Manual on eBay right now, what's it probably going to get?  Or, here's another way to put it, given that I accurately described it, AND it's really a 1st print, what's anyone here willing to pay for it?   :?:  

My second question is, does anyone want it if it's a 2nd print?  :?:

Once I get it, I'm willing to send all the pictures you want before you commit to buy it.  If there's a big difference between what someone here is willing to pay and what most people say I'd get for it on eBay, I'll just eBay it.

Finally, I have printed out the differences between the 1st & 2nd print, to make sure I identify it correctly.   8)   If anyone has any updates or tips, I'd appreciate it.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:18 pm 

Easy tell for 1st/2nd/3rd Prints of the Monster Manual:

All of the first three Prints of the Monster Manual have the Big Red Letters on the front cover.
All three prints also have a Circled R at the end of the word DRAGON (BIG RED LETTERS)
And the 1st and 2nd Prints have the Lizard Logo.

However: A first Print will also have:
Centered, red-lettered "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" at top, with "TM Reg Applied For" in small red letters under that.
ONLY the First Print will have those words on the front cover.
With a Lizard logo at the bottom of the front cover.
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... mm1st.html

The second Print has a Circled R symbol to the right side of the Red Letters of the books title and the Lizard Logo at the bottom.
It does NOT have the "TM Applied For" Note below the BIG RED LETTERS...
With a Lizard logo at the bottom of the front cover.
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... mm2nd.html

Third print has the same red letters and the Circled R Symbol but has the Wizard Logo at the bottom of the front cover.
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... mm3rd.html

There are certainly other major differences within the first three printings but those are the easiest to note and those alone are enough to know for sure.

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/monster.html

If it is a 2nd Print, then you should not leave it on the shelf of your store; it should be on YOUR shelf at home.
Or put it on E-Bay after you purchase it from the store.
But if  it is a 3rd Print, then it is probably worth about $15 in the condition you described.

As for resale value; I have seen 2nd and 3rd Prints do well and do badly.
But most of the time the 2nd Prints sell for over $20 in good to very good (or better) condition.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:38 pm 

Thanks!  Hopefully it really is a first print, and it removes any hesitancy about buying it.  I appreciate the feedback.  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:51 pm 

I'm interested if it's a 1st, if that helps.  :)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:59 pm 

There's a first printing on eBay now for $50, in less than great (but not terrible) condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Advanced-Dungeons-D ... 4cedfd60a5

Troll and Toad has a 2d print up, at $43.16.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monster-Manual-2nd- ... 335b068534

Of course, with T&T, it's hard to know what the real condition is like.

The fact that both of these are up for sale and not sold at these prices probably tells a bit about the market for early print MMs, which I'm not sure is all that strong right now.  In any case $20 for a first print, in good condition, is a pretty nice deal, and may be a fair price even for a second print, though you likely won't make much profit on a resale.  

Just my two cents, anyway.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 am 

Bracton wrote:There's a first printing on eBay now for $50, in less than great (but not terrible) condition.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I'm pretty sure the one I saw today was in better condition than that copy.  I'll let everyone know what happens.  It's probably a 2nd print.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:54 am 

Bracton wrote:....Troll and Toad has a 2d print up, at $43.16.

Of course, with T&T, it's hard to know what the real condition is like.

Well said... and VERY TRUE!

I would NEVER buy anything from T&T that was an early Print Collectable, unless they sent me a stack of Scans/Pictures (several of them) of the ACTUAL item and described the ACTUAL item in detail instead of those STUPID as hell General Descriptions with STOCK photos.
And worse, the pathetic descriptions they do post are often not even correct anyway.

'The so-called item product description from that same Toad listing linked above reads as follows...
Picture shown is a stock picture of a Monster Manual (2nd Print) hardcover core rulebook (AD&D 1E RPG)TSR2009. The actual condition is: Very Good Used RPG Book.

Condition: Very Good Used RPG Book
This book has been heavily used, it may have a creases in the spine, or a dog ears, the interior will be in good shape, and all inserts/maps will be included. It will have moderate shelf wear. There may be handwritten notes, but no text will obscured. A good copy for use, but not a great item for a collection.

This book has been heavily used... (That is my First clue to stop reading and move along)

.. may have a creases in the spine, or a dog ears... (Right)

... inserts/maps will be included...  8O (What Inserts/Maps?!)

... There may be handwritten notes... (Not that we would ever tell you if there actually is, or how much there might be...)  :roll:

Not a great item for a collection....  :roll: (NO KIDDING!)

At a BIN price of $43.16!  Sheese

PASS!  CRAP!  

That description is simply HORRIBLE.... :twisted:

Sorry guys, but for me to shell out that much for a 2nd Print Monster Manual I better get a detailed description of a (Very clean) Near Mint to MINT condition 2nd Print MM with pictures of both covers (at least).

All that said, I sometimes buy CHEAP common items from them, but no way I would buy even a moderately collectable item from them.

IMO: A second Print Monster Manual qualifies in that regard as I feel they are collectable and sort of uncommon (no... not rare of course).

I am with the posts above, if a First Print you can get a nice price for it here or on E-Bay and if a decent 2nd Print, same thing... just not as much, but I think more than it would cost ($20, plus Tax)

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:43 am 

Bracton wrote:There's a first printing on eBay now for $50, in less than great (but not terrible) condition.

That would qualify as "terrible" here, but more importantly it's obvious that the internal photo is not the same book. ;)

Safe to discount that price, IMO...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:51 am 

faro wrote:That would qualify as "terrible" here, but more importantly it's obvious that the internal photo is not the same book. ;)
Safe to discount that price, IMO...

Umnn..   Obvious? :?
How can you tell?
What makes you think it is not the same book in both pictures?

Exterior Condition : 3/4 out of 10. There are small two pieces of tape horizontally taped over spine, it appears they are their to reduce future damage but not to hold together any current damage.
Interior Condition : 6/7 out of 10. Previous owner name written on cover page, no other interior writing.

I do agree that the BIN is too high for this book... and worse, the seller offers no other option than a BIN.
But... That condition description seems to match the pictures. :?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:06 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Umnn.. Obvious? :?
How can you tell?
What makes you think it is not the same book in both pictures?

The edge wear difference vs. the back cover is suspicious enough; the spine foot and corners even more so since you can see the lower-right back cover corner on the pic showing the front of the book and it's clearly rounded on that image vs. sharp on the "interior view".
If anyone wants to take a $50 punt that there are 1st prints with "3rd edition" on the title page, however, feel free. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:51 pm 

It's a 2nd print.  Front cover:

Back cover:

Inside copyright page:

If anyone wants it, I paid $21.20 including tax and you can have it for what I paid for it plus shipping and Paypal fees.  There appears to be no mold or mildew or smoke smells.  There's no writing or highlighting inside.  There's a small Garfield sticker on the inside back cover.  Nobody even wrote their name in it.  It appears to be very good to me.  If you want more pictures, just ask.  I know this should go in classifieds, but I promised a follow-up, so I just put everything here.  8) [/img]

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:10 pm 

faro wrote:The edge wear difference vs. the back cover is suspicious enough; the spine foot and corners even more so since you can see the lower-right back cover corner on the pic showing the front of the book and it's clearly rounded on that image vs. sharp on the "interior view".
If anyone wants to take a $50 punt that there are 1st prints with "3rd edition" on the title page, however, feel free. :)

I was concentrating on the wear aspect and ignored the text...  :oops:
yes, the copyright page is indeed from a third print book.
Got it.
Thanks!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:38 pm 

The Monster Manual has been claimed.  I like things staying in the family.  8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:06 pm 

Great catch, David.  Given the cover, I completely overlooked the title page.  Very odd.  I've bought from this seller before, and haven't had any issues.  Hard to understand how that kind of a mistake could happen.

Were it a real first print, I would still characterize the cover condition as "not terrible".  Certainly not good.  But it's not falling off, either.

Of course, if it is a third print interior with a real first print cover, what exactly do we make of that?    8O  :roll:  :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:16 pm 

benjoshua wrote:The Monster Manual has been claimed.  I like things staying in the family.  8)

Always nice to see a book go to a good home.   :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am 

Bracton wrote:Of course, if it is a third print interior with a real first print cover, what exactly do we make of that?    8O  :roll:  :lol:

I E-Mailed seller asking what the deal is.
First Print Cover, Third Print copyright page.

benjoshua wrote:The Monster Manual has been claimed.  I like things staying in the family.  8)

Good deal benjoshua, I too am glad the book will go to a good home.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 am 

Bracton wrote:Great catch, David.  Given the cover, I completely overlooked the title page.  Very odd.  I've bought from this seller before, and haven't had any issues.  Hard to understand how that kind of a mistake could happen.

Were it a real first print, I would still characterize the cover condition as "not terrible".  Certainly not good.  But it's not falling off, either.

Of course, if it is a third print interior with a real first print cover, what exactly do we make of that?    8O  :roll:  :lol:

Here's my bet. This seller cbvalley had up several MM copies before with a couple of photos (on the same carpet location) for each. This was months ago. I bet he mixed up the photos from his first and third print interiors. I think he actually had that 1st print up for around $100-$125 originally.

I'll put good money (maybe even some art :lol: ) on this! Any takers? :D

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 am 

1st Print MM's used to sell for over $100... years ago...

They sell for around $30 - $50 these days...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord