Vampire The Masquerade
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:35 pm 

Does anyone know much about this and if it has much value and worth buying/playing?

Cheers

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 pm 

Hi,

its pretty popular amongst the "teenage angst" types.

There are a lot of books, but few have much value - most are £10 or under.

If you do the live-action stuff (thats kind of attached to it), then the ladies wear extremely, erm, decorative, costumes.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm 

There is literally a ton of books for this and various editions as well.  Most of the Vampire books don't seem to be worth much.  I had a box or so of them a while back and ended up trading in most of the Vampire stuff for $3 a book at a local gameshop which I was happy with.

The setting that seemed to sell well was Changeling but again it really depended on which book it was.

I collect a lot of things but not this White Wolf stuff so I'm sure some others are probably better informed as their quality.  It can't be all bad since White Wolf grew into a big company because of it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:07 pm 

lawrenson wrote: its pretty popular amongst the "teenage angst" types.

I'm probably beyond that now...  :?

lawrenson wrote: If you do the live-action stuff (thats kind of attached to it), then the ladies wear extremely, erm, decorative, costumes.

But I'm probably NOT beyond that...  :lol:  :oops:

Cheers for that chaps. I'll take a looksee at whats around for a basic starter bookset.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:38 pm 

I was interested in VtM back in college (a few hot women played it) and picked up quite a few books.  LARPing is obviously optional and I never knew anyone that did it.  I still have a shelf of White Wolf books that I crack open from time to time simply because they are a great read.  If VtM was about one thing it was storytelling.  Tons of historical information if you like that in your RPG's.

You should be able to pick up most of the books fairly cheaply.  Although I dont follow them on Ebay, I always see lots of them in Half Price Books for a few dollars apiece.  Based on what I own, besides the core rulebook, the best books to pick up are these:

Guide to the Camarilla and Guide to the Sabbat.  These were sold originally as a slipcased set but later broken up.
World of Darkness.  There is more than one edition of this.  The original was my preferred book as it has historical info about Baba Yaga being one of the antediluvian vampires.
Who's Who Among Vampires: Children of the Inquisition.  An oversized book that details several prominent vampires including Vlad Tepes and explains their past, present, and goals.
The Kindred Most Wanted.  Another oversized book detailing several infamous vampires (and a couple of other creatures) and why the Camarilla is hunting them.
Gehenna.  This book ties up all of the storylines running through VtM and brings about several possible ways to "end" your campaign.

Keep in mind these are from the first edition (early 90's).  The Gehenna book came out a bit later though.  I dont know anything about the latest edition.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:41 pm 

Hi,

you will probs have to pay £10 - £20 for the basic book, as its popular.

Btw, don't buy the current edition (I think its 4th).

Much like 4th ed D&D, its not popular or played much.

Cheers,
Malc

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm 

Fantastic, thanks KoP! I'll take a look around  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:46 pm 

lawrenson wrote: you will probs have to pay £10 - £20 for the basic book, as its popular.

Btw, don't buy the current edition (I think its 4th).

Much like 4th ed D&D, its not popular or played much.

Cheers Malc, I'll avoid that lot then  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm 

I did confuse a couple of books up though.  The two Guides I mentioned above are from the second edition of the game.  Nothing wrong with them but the two I intended to reference were the Storyteller's Handbook to the Sabbat and the Player's Guide to the Sabbat.

The Anarch's Cookbook is another good one.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm 

No worries, its all a good starter for me to look at.

"Who's Who Among Vampires: Children of the Inquisition" seems to be listed at £66 on USA ebay, but £18 on Amazon UK... Not sure if there is a difference.  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm 

There are regularly large lots available on ebay.  I don't know if there are any books for any of the games (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Wraith, Hunter, maybe another?) that are hard to find/valuable, but overall, the material seems to be common.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:37 pm 

Hi,

Demon, the Fallen usually commands high prices, plus a fair bit of Changeling. Other than that, el cheapo...

Cheers,
malc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:12 pm 

When I was collecting VtM items a couple of years ago, Dark Ages Fae and Players Guide to High Clans (Dark Ages line as well) were far and away the hardest for me to acquire.  The Encyclopaedia Vampirica (one of the limited edition hard backs) sells for a premium but pops up regularly on ebay.  The revised clan books sold around cover price unless you could catch them in a lot.