Calling all Woodgrain Experts
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:39 am 

Hi All,

I came across an eBay auction with a Woodgrain and a 2nd Edition Chainmail so I wrote to the seller and asked for some better pictures.  I've managed to identify the Chainmail as a 2nd Print (Belfast), but I am not sure about the printing of the Woodgrain.  What do you guys think based on these pictures?

http://s798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... Woodgrain/

I do not have a Woodgrain myself so am not sure if this is a 1st print or not.  According to the seller, the booklets do not have any other printing information other than the "Copyright 1974..." so I would think 1st print (picture included); however the presence of the reference sheets/errata would indicate a 2nd or 3rd.  Thus I gladly defer to the experts. :)  Any input you can offer on printing and value are greatly appreciated.  The seller had no idea of their true value so I pointed him in the direction  of the Acaeum for a more realistic appraisal.

By the way, these items are still for sale, and I have no material interest in the transaction.  Also, I do not know the seller and have suggested he come here to learn a little more about the items, and introduce himself in order to sell these on the Acaeum or put them on Ebay with a better price than he initially had.

Many thanks in advance,
Smarmy1

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:46 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Hi All,

I came across an eBay auction with a Woodgrain and a 2nd Edition Chainmail so I wrote to the seller and asked for some better pictures.  I've managed to identify the Chainmail as a 2nd Print (Belfast), but I am not sure about the printing of the Woodgrain.  What do you guys think based on these pictures?

By the way, these items are still for sale, and I have no material interest in the transaction.  Also, I do not know the seller and have suggested he come here to learn a little more about the items, and introduce himself in order to sell these on the Acaeum or put them on Ebay with a better price than he initially had.

Many thanks in advance,
Smarmy1

Smarmy,

That was an amazing thing for you to do:  it shows how a true Acaeum member acts to a seller with an unknown item of rarity.  Bravo!

Looks like a first to me. And the box, aside from the staining and name, looks excellent.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:53 am 

Bravo indeed. :)

Yes, that's AOK for an early 1st from these two photos and not spotting anything out of the ordinary in the others.
I don't see the errata/correction sheet that you're mentioning but neither would that be "expected" by default.

Thanks,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:11 am 

faro wrote:Bravo indeed. :)

Yes, that's AOK for an early 1st from these

I don't see the errata/correction sheet that you're mentioning but neither would that be "expected" by default.

Thanks,
David.

David,

The six sheets in question are on page one in the bottom row on the far right.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 am 

Yes i agree a very stand up thing to do. I had a large amount of help with this. Thank you very much. The items are still for sell and feel free to ask any questions. I will send as many pics as needed. However will not be able to do so to later tonight..Thanks

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 am 

Although my Wood Grain Box Set is a second, I am fairly sure that the first Edition of the Wood Grain Box Set did not have an erratta (correction) sheet.
It did include the Reference Sheets though.
And those are the Reference Sheets shown in the last pic on page one of the Photobucket Album that Smarmy Linked to.

http://s798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 002318.jpg

That picture makes me think this is a First Edition Box Set.

And agree with the above comments...
NICE going smarmy...  :!:  8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 am 

Agreed, it's a 1st print.

And well done by alerting the seller.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:49 pm 

fireflyy334 wrote:Yes i agree a very stand up thing to do. I had a large amount of help with this. Thank you very much. The items are still for sell and feel free to ask any questions. I will send as many pics as needed. However will not be able to do so to later tonight..Thanks

shame you have to sell such an item, hope you get the chance to hang around the forums!  :)

Is there a link you can post to your auction?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:53 pm 

Still up for sell. Would rather sell to someone who collects. I am in need of money tho with my car being totalled by a semi and having to move unexpectedly. Any one with a serious offer can send me there phone number and we can talk. I would like to sell the woodgrain and the chainmail toghether. I would like to have it sold by friday. And will only use paypal. Thanks agian to all..

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:54 pm 

Can you post some condition notes here?  Hard to tell a lot from the pics linked to above.  Are the books clean, or do they have writing, marks, that sort of thing?  Are the corners of the box lid and bottom intact, or coming apart?  Any staple rust?  These are things collectors commonly look out for.

Let mirth prevail!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm 

The books all seem in very good condition. Used but taken care of. I see no rust on stapels. I have not looked through every page but will do that to post and let people know. the corners of the boxes are all intact and sharp. There is a name wrote on the bottom of the box Greg Lind as well as a GL on the top of the three books that go in the woodgrain set. I will inspect very well and post all things i notice. this will take a day or so. I have some names of people that let me know they are interested and i will be in contact with them first, however would like to post all condition flaws i can find. Thanks again to all of those who have helped

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:24 pm 

bombadil wrote:...These are things collectors commonly look out for.

Given that we're talking Lake Geneva printings, the obvious addition to that list is to check to ensure there aren't (m)any pages missing from the middle of the books. ;)

PaulKM wrote:The six sheets in question are on page one in the bottom row on the far right.

Thanks; got that, Paul, and spotted the clarification above - yes, reference sheets present but no errata/correction sheet: those tend to be found in later 1sts but not early sets. AOK on that score given the U&WA.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 am 

fireflyy334 wrote:Still up for sell. Would rather sell to someone who collects. I am in need of money tho with my car being totalled by a semi and having to move unexpectedly. Any one with a serious offer can send me there phone number and we can talk. I would like to sell the woodgrain and the chainmail together. I would like to have it sold by friday. And will only use paypal. Thanks agian to all..

Of course it is your choice, but I know there are several folks here who could afford to purchase a Second Print Chainmail, but not a First Print Wood Grain Box Set.
Chainmail if sold sperately, would get a lot more offers than the Wood Grain Box Set, since far fewer collectors can even afford to talk with you about the box set than the Chainmail.
I am quite sure that sellling the two items together you will not gain as much as if you sold them seperately.

Also a one week selll time will exclude many potential buyers.
Especially if you only advertised on this forum.
E-Bay will bring MANY more potential buyers than this forum would.
Not every collector even knows this forum exists, but almost all of them cruise E-Bay for items like yours.
A ten day listing (or even 7 days) on E-Bay will get far more action than phone calls from members of this forum board.
More action equals higher sales price.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:31 pm 

I will be selling the 2nd edition chainmail seperate from the other set. I have one offer i am waiting to see if the buyer wants to proced. There is a name in the front of the book on inside first page and a couple of sentences underlined in pencil. Just so everyone knows and can offer up a bid they find fair. I will not disclose the first buyers bid but if he decides not to take i will just offer the book up to the next willing buyer. I will accept payment thru paypal and ship the book thru the buyers shipping choice..Thanks also taking offers on the woodgrain set. I have had some things turn around and am not in such a need to sell. However will handle in the same way. Thank you all. if no offers after checking out locally for a buyer I will probly go with ebay. Thaks to all of you for your input and honesty......Ryan....I do live in Indianapolis,IN if there is a local person who wants to see the item...

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 pm 

Good luck in any case.
I hope you are able to get a fast sale and a very good price for them both.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:31 am 

fireflyy334 wrote:"...I have had some things turn around and am not in such a need to sell. ..."

fireflyy334 wrote:"...I do live in Indianapolis,IN if there is a local person who wants to see the item..."

Not sure if its an option, but you might be able to get it into the GenCon 2010 auction since you're already local. Its still a few months away though but I saw the "not in such a need to sell".

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:31 pm 

The chainmail has been sold. The woodgrain is still up for sell.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:56 pm 

I have posted the woodgrain set on ebay. The item number is  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
. If anyone is interested. Thanks for all your help..

Next