Players Handbook
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:15 am 

I saw in another thread that there was a chance that the players handbooks of previous versions were starting to gain in value.

Looking on my shelves behind me I have a mint condition players handbook.. I think its version 3.0

Is it worth anything?

Oh, it has some slight graffiti in the front....

Oh yes, it has been signed by GARY GYGAX :p
(I was lucky enough to play in one of his games at GenCon 2000 here in the UK)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:26 am 

The signature might change things, especially if it can be authenticated (ie. you have a photo of you and EGG with a pen in his hand).

The 3.0 edition of the PHB seems to be worth no more than £5. Keep it. Maybe in 10 years the story will be different. 3.5E players aren't sufficiently into the collecting thing, and there is no nostalgia in the game yet. Once that builds and the twenty-somethings are thirty-something and trying to recapture their D&D hayday, there will likely be money in 3E. 3.5E has a little investment pottential at the moment, but only due to the regular churn of companies and publishers, and WoTC moving the industry by force to the 4E model.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:08 am 

I personally don't see 3.0 ever raising in value. It simply wasn't out long enough to earn a place in people's hearts. Plus, many people stayed with 2.0 for the first half of 3.0's existence before 3.5.

The autograph might add $20, if you find a buyer who doesn't care about it not being a certified autograph (i.e., you have no proof it was really GG's signature)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:23 am 

I don't hold out ny hope fr my core 3.0 rulebooks, but there's no accounting for the completists of the years to come. But you're probably right. Good for keeping things flat, though.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The signature might change things, especially if it can be authenticated (ie. you have a photo of you and EGG with a pen in his hand).

I think the only photos I took of Gary is signing or with a couple of my books he did sign at GenCons, course I have other books of his signed I was no part of.  I don't think his signature would add much value to this especially as it was not written by him.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:09 am 

Thanks, no piccy unfortunately.
But in all honesty - it would never be for sale - its part of my collection and a high point of my gaming life.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:42 am 

Since 3.0 was buggy and broken as all hell, it will never be as collectable as 3.5 is now.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:49 am 

Gaming with EGG. That's pretty cool.