Squad Leader Help
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:13 pm 

Got an old Squad Leader box a few months ago (not Advanced SL) in pretty nice shape. Box is still sturdy if somewhat worn on the edges; half the counters are still untouched; the maps are in good shape; the scenario book only has one detached, which has yellowed a moderate amount on one side (sun exposure maybe); rulebook... WAIT! Where's the rulebook!?

First part of the thread questioning: where can I identify which printing/edition I have?

Second question: assuming I can find a rulebook in FN condition to complete the set, what would one of these things go for nowadays?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 am 

The first print was purple. If you have one of those you are one lucky duck.

Otherwise, there really is no printing record. There are different editions and they info is generally only found on the rulebook, which you don't have.

So whatever edition of the rules you can scrounge up will be it.

But SL is a great seller and will do well. You can pretty much assume around $50 and more if it really looks good.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 pm 

I collect SL/ASL, & can tell you that incomplete sets are a greater hazard with this game than with most. Despite being sold as multiple independent games (Cross of Iron, etc.), scenarios from one set frequently require maps & pieces from previous sets. Hence, after playing a game these components often end up in the wrong box.

There are good Wikipedia pages for establishing the contents of each (the main page for SL shows the early purple box bbarsh mentioned along with its components), but less so for detailed printing info. I've seen websites with better data on that, & will post the links here if I can find them again soon.

p.s. - anyone have the big maps for Red Barricades? I'm looking for them, or will trade away the RB components I do have.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:23 am 

sauromatian wrote:I collect SL/ASL, & can tell you that incomplete sets are a greater hazard with this game than with most. Despite being sold as multiple independent games (Cross of Iron, etc.), scenarios from one set frequently require maps & pieces from previous sets. Hence, after playing a game these components often end up in the wrong box.

There are good Wikipedia pages for establishing the contents of each (the main page for SL shows the early purple box bbarsh mentioned along with its components), but less so for detailed printing info. I've seen websites with better data on that, & will post the links here if I can find them again soon.

p.s. - anyone have the big maps for Red Barricades? I'm looking for them, or will trade away the RB components I do have.

I might, but they maybe hedgerow hell, I will have to check.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 am 

I have been watching auctions for the original squad leader (compared to advanced squad leader - ASL) and you can fairly regularly pick up a used copy for 20-25 including shipping. Here's a few I was keeping an eye on:

** expired eBay auction **

and a partially unpunched one for $26 -->  

The main problem I have with getting a used set is that most sellers won't count the counters so you can't tell if its complete or not. In your case, you're mainly looking for a rule book, so you don't need to worry too much about whether it has all of them or not. Just my 2 cents.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:04 pm 

GreyM wrote:most sellers won't count the counters so you can't tell if its complete or not.

Yeah, that's another problem with the SL/ASL system - hundreds & hundreds of counters. There are illustrations provided of each complete ASL counter-sheet, but it's a Herculean task. It would take a full day of labor for a reseller to completely confirm the punched contents of a box. Doing so for a $20 sale might not be a good idea, so perhaps there's no shame in admitting that the set might not be complete.