Battletech
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 am 

I used to play Battletech way back at the end of the 80's and early 90's. I have a stack of mechs, mapsheets and books, almost all of which is 3025/3050 stuff.

Battletech seems to have gone through a transformation since then. From what I've read, all the stuff FASA and Ral Partha did at the end of the 80's and early 90's contraviened another company's IP, and as such they ceased trading on the game and stopped making mechs. Now you can buy a very similar game under the same name from Whizkids who bought what IP FASA did own, and you can buy mechs from Iron Wind Metals who seem to produce what mechs were not infringing people's IPs and the whole feel and look of the game is somewhat different.

There also seems to be, either practically no market for the original Battletech mechs and mapboards (the modern ones are paper and sold in packs of 20+. The originals were cardboard and sold in packs of 4), or people who do still own the game don't sell it because it's such a damn good game.

Any idea which?

Aside... Most of my mechs are either unpainted but assembled and on metal hexagons, or still in blisters. I didn't paint them because I didn't have the time to do it, and the one's I did try to paint I did a piss poor job at it. From looking on eBay the painted ones seem to sell for more than the unpainted ones, but the painted ones on eBay do look piss poor as well. Go figure? Do people go and buy painted minis and then try to strip them?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I used to play Battletech way back at the end of the 80's and early 90's. I have a stack of mechs, mapsheets and books, almost all of which is 3025/3050 stuff.

Battletech seems to have gone through a transformation since then. From what I've read, all the stuff FASA and Ral Partha did at the end of the 80's and early 90's contraviened another company's IP, and as such they ceased trading on the game and stopped making mechs. Now you can buy a very similar game under the same name from Whizkids who bought what IP FASA did own, and you can buy mechs from Iron Wind Metals who seem to produce what mechs were not infringing people's IPs and the whole feel and look of the game is somewhat different.

There also seems to be, either practically no market for the original Battletech mechs and mapboards (the modern ones are paper and sold in packs of 20+. The originals were cardboard and sold in packs of 4), or people who do still own the game don't sell it because it's such a damn good game.

Any idea which?

Aside... Most of my mechs are either unpainted but assembled and on metal hexagons, or still in blisters. I didn't paint them because I didn't have the time to do it, and the one's I did try to paint I did a piss poor job at it. From looking on eBay the painted ones seem to sell for more than the unpainted ones, but the painted ones on eBay do look piss poor as well. Go figure? Do people go and buy painted minis and then try to strip them?

The 12 mechs from the original set were taken from some Japanese cartoon series (if I remember correctly) without permission. Last time I checked metal mech figure were selling for high prices on ebay but it has been a long while since I last checked. I'd say don't dump them.

The original rule system was altered and altered again, maybe several times so your old rule books may simply be too out of date for the surviving battletech niche market to be interested in, except for the original scenario modules which sell for a decent amount, Gray's Death Legion, Wolf's Dragoons, Black Widow, Cranston Snord's Irregulars, and a few others. BAttletech novels also sell very well and some single books command high prices.

The original game was a wonderful tactical combat system with an armor and damage location system that reminded me of runequests. Mechs had outer armor and an inner skeleton and damage was taken to specific locations so you could blow arms and legs off of a mech (and it could still function).

The first upgrade of the rules really changed the system so dramatically that I lost interest, but as I remember the game was on a decline at the time and fasa was looking for a way to spark some new life into sales.

So, the old rule books and boxed sets, haven't seen much interest. Old metal mechs, they were selling for good to high dollars a few years ago. Old adventures, same thing, but I checked recently and saw high prices being asked (asked, perhaps not received) for them.

Don't be confused by the wizkids click miniature game Mechwarrior. Prices on those figures dropped when wizkids went under and stopped producing new material for the game.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 pm 

Anyone know if there is an active Battletech forum like DF is for D&D, run by people who play the game rather than the anal retards over on WizKids?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:31 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Aside... Most of my mechs are either unpainted but assembled and on metal hexagons, or still in blisters. I didn't paint them because I didn't have the time to do it, and the one's I did try to paint I did a piss poor job at it. From looking on eBay the painted ones seem to sell for more than the unpainted ones, but the painted ones on eBay do look piss poor as well. Go figure? Do people go and buy painted minis and then try to strip them?

Ah, Battletech! My brother and I played that for a spell. Provided us with many "loser-gets-mad-and-flips-the-board-over" moments ;)

I've noticed that the mechs still seem to do very well on eBay, even poorly painted. A poor paint job is always overcome by a bath in Simple Green! Even though I don't play any more, I'd still like to paint up an Atlas and a few other iconic mechs from back in the day.

Hmm, maybe it's time to break it out and see if the kids want to have a go at it...

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:51 pm 

All the map boards seem to be made of paper nowadays. I must have a dozen or so map boards in card that I've used for play, and 40 or so mint. I don't ever see the card mapsheets on eBay these days. I never got aroud to painting the mechs, but I did buy a stack of hex bases for them. I also only really ever got into 3025/50. I didn't really go beyond that, or bother with the aeroplanes or vehicles.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:09 pm 

I sold a friends collection of mechs and books just about a year ago and made a shitpile of cash.  The minis were all painted poorly and the books beaten up and well used.  I really know nothing about he game (tried it once and did not like it) but fantics are still playing and collecting.  

Highlights included sales like the Star League (over $100) the house books ($20-$30+ each), scenarios around $15-$25 each.  Mechs went on average for $8-10 each with the wierd Lam figs going in the $50 range per.  Overall we made a killing IMHO.  

Like I said I do not know anything about the game really but I was blown away at the response to the auctions.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm 

The 12 mechs were taken from Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. In the US, that show is known as Robotech: The Macross Saga.

I had original Battletech, but I never played miniatures games so ended up letting it go.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm 

There must be a forum for Battletech somewhere. The one run by WizKids is like the forum run by WotC and won't allow non-doctrine discussion of any kind.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 am 

The old Ral Partha miniatures do fairly well.  Especially the unseen(s).  I recently started re-collecting and have been watching and buying here and there.  Most non-unseen mechs (these are all NIB prices) can run from $8 to $20ish.  The unseens start around $25, and I've seen peak out around $100 (Marauders particularly tend to bring out the big bids).  The clan second-line mechs (IIC variants based on the unseen) also do particularly well.  The LAMs can also bring some pretty big bids - around $50 each.

And yeah, I been looking for an Atlas and a couple other of the oldschool ones to buy and strip to repaint for fun.  But I have alot of other projects (damn WH40k army) currently in progress, so I been sticking to new in blister stuff.

I cant really speak to the Iron Wind stuff.  I largely ignore it and have been focusing exclusively on the roster in the first 2 tech readouts.

I cant speak to the quality of content for thier forums, but you could try sarna.net.  I've been poking around thier wiki and its not bad.