Games Workshop Space Hulk
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:09 pm 

Anyone have an idea what this might sell for?

** expired eBay auction **

We'll see soon enough but just curious now.  The auction is up to 23 watchers which seems like a lot to me (more than I expected).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:20 pm 

No idea. I wonder why people would even bid it up to $40, considering the seller says it is incomplete.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:31 pm 

Its my auction.  It was free to list so I pulled $40 out of a hat.  Most of the miniatures are missing but there are tons of cardboard.  With GW stuff, I never know how much missing miniatures will influence an item since I'm sure you can find more or use different lines, etc.  But there is a lot of cardboard there to play the game.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:44 pm 

Mars wrote:Its my auction.  It was free to list so I pulled $40 out of a hat.  Most of the miniatures are missing but there are tons of cardboard.  With GW stuff, I never know how much missing miniatures will influence an item since I'm sure you can find more or use different lines, etc.  But there is a lot of cardboard there to play the game.

Last I saw was $399

The two expansions, if complete, were $100 + each in a recent listing

Note: Doesn't mean they sold for that, but the expansions are much, much harder to find than the main set, and the mini's are usually the expensive heart of these sets.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:33 pm 

Maybe it would be worth my while to see if at least the counters are complete for each set.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:19 pm 

Mars wrote:Its my auction.  It was free to list so I pulled $40 out of a hat.  Most of the miniatures are missing but there are tons of cardboard.  With GW stuff, I never know how much missing miniatures will influence an item since I'm sure you can find more or use different lines, etc.  But there is a lot of cardboard there to play the game.

Well, don't I feel like the fucking idiot.
Can you play it without the minis?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:40 pm 

You do need the minis to play, but it's pretty likely that anyone who is interested in playing this is already a GW collector/player. Considering the price complete sets go for, it would be relatively inexpensive to replace the missing figures with minis that are currently available.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:42 pm 

One more thing I just thought of: the new version of this just came out (and sold out from what I hear) and anyone who managed to get one of those sets would probably love to have the expansions to go with it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm 

Ector wrote:One more thing I just thought of: the new version of this just came out (and sold out from what I hear) and anyone who managed to get one of those sets would probably love to have the expansions to go with it.

The new realese includes the expansions all in the same box.  This auction would be cool to win for all the extra boards and peices.  Huge space hulks :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:56 pm 

Ector wrote:One more thing I just thought of: the new version of this just came out (and sold out from what I hear) and anyone who managed to get one of those sets would probably love to have the expansions to go with it.

Sold out from the distributor but lots and lots of retailers stocked up on it.

The price has fallen considerably and in some cases the minis are selling more seperately than a complete unopened game. It was going for over $150 but unopened copies have been selling for as low as $70 or $80

The big thing is that the Space Marine Terminator figs go for a bundle and you get 11 or 12 of them in the box. The Genestealer figs don't go for as much.

There are 3 editions of this now. The first, the 2nd and the 2 expansions (which I believe are for the 1st edition). You can easily use the board pieces mixed from edition 1 and 2 but the latest edition has a thicker cut of cardboard.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:58 pm 

I decided to try and quickly go through them and match up the tiles for each set.  I figured BGG would be good for this but they actually aren't.  There is a good picture of everything for Deathwing but not one for Genestealer :(

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 pm 

Mars wrote:I decided to try and quickly go through them and match up the tiles for each set.  I figured BGG would be good for this but they actually aren't.  There is a good picture of everything for Deathwing but not one for Genestealer :(

Wish I could help but my sets are completely mixed together.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:44 pm 

Luckily there were a couple of auctions up for complete set and they linked to this website (which lists all the contents with pictures):

http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/

So now I know what I have tile wise:

Deathwing:
2 complete sets of counters & floor tiles
1 incomplete set of counters (no floor tiles for 3rd set)

Genestealer:
1 complete set of counters & cards & floor tiles
1 near complete set of counters

Space Hulk:
1 complete set of counters & doors with bases & floor tiles
1 partial set of counters & doors with bases

Now that I have spent the time sorting and finding out it has a ton of extra stuff and only missing a bunch of figures, I half want to keep it :)  Is Space Hulk any good as a game?  I bought Space Hulk for $20 used from the local Gameshop and ended up picking up Genestealer and Deathwing from Goodwill (about 5 years ago) for $2 each.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:23 am 

I've only ever played it once, many years ago, but I remember it was good fun!
I even bought several plastic space marine minis (if you do keep it, you can PM me about them)  
:)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 am 

Mars wrote:Luckily there were a couple of auctions up for complete set and they linked to this website (which lists all the contents with pictures):

http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/

So now I know what I have tile wise:

Deathwing:
2 complete sets of counters & floor tiles
1 incomplete set of counters (no floor tiles for 3rd set)

Genestealer:
1 complete set of counters & cards & floor tiles
1 near complete set of counters

Space Hulk:
1 complete set of counters & doors with bases & floor tiles
1 partial set of counters & doors with bases

Now that I have spent the time sorting and finding out it has a ton of extra stuff and only missing a bunch of figures, I half want to keep it :)  Is Space Hulk any good as a game?  I bought Space Hulk for $20 used from the local Gameshop and ended up picking up Genestealer and Deathwing from Goodwill (about 5 years ago) for $2 each.

Space Hulk is an incredible game.

If you do not want to use the system as a WH40K Space Marine vs Genestealers game, you can use it as an Aliens game with little alteration. It is a simple, fast paced game, perfect for solitaire play but much much better as a two to four player game. The greatest flaw I've found is that it takes up a great deal of space to lay out the tile map for the scenarios.

The tiles make it possible to create an endless variation of maps, especially if you have more than one set, and you can create a 3d map by having one set of tiles represent one floor and a second (or third or more) represent another floor. This makes the game especially interesting when marines need to watch for the Bugs coming up or down from the other floors. The blip counters make the game tremendous fun.

This is one of the best simple tactical game systems out there.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:11 am 

I may be confusing it with something else, but I seem to remember playing something like this that had walls and possibly on different levels??  :?

EDIT

Not sure if this is the one I played actually? Can't see the items in here very well, maybe worth a look at BGG   :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:07 am 

ashmire13 wrote:I may be confusing it with something else, but I seem to remember playing something like this that had walls and possibly on different levels??  :?

EDIT

Not sure if this is the one I played actually? Can't see the items in here very well, maybe worth a look at BGG   :lol:

The sets didn't come with walls or different structures but it is a GW 40K product so they could have come from different sets. The 40K Necromumda had walls and multi level structures in its basic set, but WH40K and Necromunda are different rules systems from Space Hulk. The Basic Space Hulk game is simple and straigtforward. Wonderful for convention because you can get someone started in the game very quickly and easily.

My main dislike for the rules is that it is all or nothing, the Marines in their Terminator armor (which is suppossed to be the most powerful they have in the human 40K arsenal) just die if they lose the attack roll. Adding a little complexity to the game I like to add a damage system and play it with the Battletech hit location and armor point system. This dramatically changes the tactitcs of the game and the length. The quantity of genestealers then needs to be doubled or tripled to balance out the endurance of the Space Marines.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:42 pm 

Thanks Jason, it may have been the 40K Necromumda. I might have a look at that   :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"